Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skagits are like gremlins...just add water and they multiply!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagits are like gremlins...just add water and they multiply!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4506539596.html
    $2500
    I'm assuming the driver is not included at that price. Just a guess..

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 28342, member: 2323
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4506539596.html
    $2500
    I'm assuming the driver is not included at that price. Just a guess..

Nice Skagit
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I just bought this boat today. Came with the original gas tanks that were mounted on the side aft portion but apparently they leak so they were removed. What shall I do with these?

Comment

Originally posted by Treejay, post: 28470, member: 2409
        I just bought this boat today. Came with the original gas tanks that were mounted on the side aft portion but apparently they leak so they were removed. What shall I do with these?
        You are lucky they took them out as it is not real easy. What's in the boat now ? There is a member that had new tanks made up for his, but there was some big $$$ involve. What should you do with the old tanks ?? I would "air them out" if you smell any fumes left over and them rinse then with lots of water. I'am sure someone else has maybe a better idea what to do to get rid of them.... I would have left them behind with the former owner after taking picture and measurements so if you ever want to have some made up you could. Nice boat !

Comment

Congrats on the purchase! Time to do an introduction thread and join the fun!

Comment

If your tanks are like the ones in my 1959 Skimaster they unbolt and are easy to take in and out. I have never used my fiberglass tanks. Somewhere in the archives there is a way to cut the tank and coat the inside to make them compatible with todays gas.

Comment

Welcome. If you have a replacement tank or tanks already, and the old ones aren't needed, cut them up and throw them away. I would recommend a good rinsing first and do the work in an open space. An angle grinder with a cut off wheel should do the trick fairly quickly. As long as there aren't any metal fittings to touch, it should go off without sparks or getting too hot.
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 28475, member: 6
                You are lucky they took them out as it is not real easy. What's in the boat now ? There is a member that had new tanks made up for his, but there was some big $$$ involve. What shall you do with the old tanks ?? I would "air them out" if you smell any fumes left over and them rinse then with lots of water. I'am sure someone else has maybe a better idea what to do to get rid of them.... I would have left them behind with the former owner after taking picture and measurements so if you ever want to have some made up you could. Nice boat !
                They were just using a 6 gallon plastic portable gas can to supply fuel located in the outboard well and it's a decent temporary fix. A friend of mine with a Skagit 16 put a tank up in the bow (19 gallons) but he didn't recommend it as he said it rode a bit bow heavy. But yeah I think photos and measurements are a good idea then get rid of them.

Apparently, the prior owner claimed it was the addition of ethanol to fuel that dissolved the old fiberglass resin away and caused the tanks to leak. anybody else hear of this?

Comment

Originally posted by strobee, post: 28479, member: 7
                  If your tanks are like the ones in my 1959 Skimaster they unbolt and are easy to take in and out. I have never used my fiberglass tanks. Somewhere in the archives there is a way to cut the tank and coat the inside to make them compatible with todays gas.
                  the boat i bought is a ski-master. what type of tanks do you use?

Comment

Call me. Have a extra tank. 425-742-4319 work Chuck

Comment

Ethanol causes all kinds of problems not only with fiberglass but also with fuel lines on lawn mowers and any other combustible engines. I use Sta Bil in all my gas to help with the problem. I use 12 gal. plastic gas tanks which are located under the bench seat (3 36gal.). I also have the option to put 2 additional 12's forward under both helms. I also carry 6 gal. of straight gas for my 4 stroke get me home engine if I should ever need it. I normally run with a max. of 24 gal. which is more than enough for most of the events I do. I have a Skagit 17 Express with 83, 50 hp. Rude that trolls at 2mph and tops out at 30 mph. A few years ago several of us went from Edmonds down to Olympia and back (209mi) and I used 18 gal. of gas. Most of the time we were cruzing at 18-24 mph. so my little nifty 50 gets really good mileage. A total of 66 gal. will just barely get me to Alaska. One of the good things about using 12gal. tanks is that you can use them for ballast. If I ever have to use my kicker I can off set it by putting one tank forward on the opposite side. I like my boat balanced if possible. My kicker weighs 75lbs. and 12gals. of gas weighs 72lbs., close enough. Anybody want to go to Alaska ( Ketchikan)?
                      Greg James

Comment

Greg, when I buy Rasario we will go to Alaska with you!! That would be a heck of an adventure! The inside passage in a 17 foot skagit!!
                        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian, Here's some pictures of our South Sound trip we took a while ago from Edmonds to Olympia and back when we use 18 gal's. Look at that nice water !The boats are both 1957 and i would have liked to known what order in the factory they where produce.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Brian, Yep it will be great.
                            Greg James

Comment

Chuck, Thanks for posting those pictures. That was probably my favorite cruz. Marty Loken was also with us and the other guy with the white and yellow boat is non other than the Infamous Tim Matson.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X