More Bearcat Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 29360, member: 2327
    I was taking a closer look at the fuel line hookup and noticed it was broken. Is this a special part or can I substitute something else. I also wondered since the part is very hard type of plastic maybe I could tap it and install a new barbed fitting?

Like most of my questions it is usually me thinking out loud. I bought the barbed 1/8" fitting and will attempt to tap the backlite fitting and if that is not successful I can modify or try to find an original part.
    It's already been substituted with an OMC type fitting. Should be very common to find a replacement.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Since I have a broken fuel line connector on my Bearcat, I need to know what my other Bearcat brethren are using. I tried to drill and tap my original one only to crack it when I tried to screw in the barbed fitting. So please advice since there are many on the market and I have no experience with outboard motors etc. Or if you can how about a photo of what you have on your motor. Thanks for any help. I should add that I took the fitting to Fisheries Supply in Seattle and they could not help me with a replacement nor did they offer any suggestions on a replacement setup. I googled OMC fittings and couldnt find anything that resembled my original, does the fuel fitting need to be attached to the motor or can I just run the hose out and add some other fitting. Only thing I would worry about is chaffing of the fuel line from movement/vibration etc. Since I am dealing with fuel I want to do it right.

Comment

Ok I have tried to delete my last post on this thread and tried everything to do so. It dont work. Never mind my question. I went to the marina and found a helpful source for the fix. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 29515, member: 2327
          Ok I have tried to delete my last post on this thread and tried everything to do so. It dont work. Never mind my question. I went to the marina and found a helpful source for the fix. thanks
          Hi Craig.
          I can monitor most posts but some how, this one got by me. Something screwy with this software I think.

I think the reason we stopped people from deleting posts as it was deleting the whole thread with all the comments and such. Will look at that again with the new forum software about to show up.

I would have had to see a picture of it myself.
          Kelly knows of a Bearcat Mechanic that he used but not sure were he is.
          I am thinking of putting up a small advertizement for him as we have a few owners that are not mechanics.

Pretty much everyone that has owned a Bearcat and not looking for a racing engine stick with them.
          Mine will never be for sale.
          Supersportster has I think 4 or 5 of them plus parts and he is not willing to give up any of his either.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 29612, member: 59
            Supersportster has I think 4 or 5 of them plus parts and he is not willing to give up any of his either.
            I'm re-evaluating that. I went nuts buying everything in sight because I like the idea of having what I need on the shelf. Problem is they are so damn reliable and fuel efficient I haven't needed much.
            Dick Johnson
            1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I am taking My Bearcat with me when I go. Mine is Not for Sale, ever.
              It got to be, I totally lost interest in Any Glassic that I was not able to power with my Bearcat.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I sent a request to BillR about two weeks ago for price/availability with a list of gasket/o-rings I would need to pull the motor and stop the leaks. I haven't heard back from him yet so I am not sure but to continue to try to obtain the items from ServiceMotors and Ed Ewing as I dont know of any other sources. I still see oil leaking from under the motor and down the outside of the leg pooling on the first cavitation plate down the leg. It is annoying, it must be coming from the oil pan, although it takes a week to be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 29616, member: 2327
                  I sent a request to BillR about two weeks ago for price/availability with a list of gasket/o-rings I would need to pull the motor and stop the leaks. I haven't heard back from him yet so I am not sure but to continue to try to obtain the items from ServiceMotors and Ed Ewing as I dont know of any other sources. I still see oil leaking from under the motor and down the outside of the leg pooling on the first cavitation plate down the leg. It is annoying, it must be coming from the oil pan, although it takes a week to be noticeable.
                  Sorry to here that. He does stay busy for sure.
                  I think the Bearcat thing to him is maybe kind of secondary as I know he used to travel all over the world doing installs of high tech controls and such.

I have ask Kelly for his Bearcat mechanics name and information as well as Dick (Super Sportster) might have some other suppliers as he has totally gone though at least one of these. I mean Totally Rebuilt too.

Oh, my Early Harley's always marked there spot when parked, I just excepted it. Mine slobbers a little oil like yours but might might be coming from the valve cover gasket.
                  I plan on pulling my power head off once I get a place to work on her other on the rear of the boat in the rains now.

I can understand your wanting to stop that leak as your engine looks 100% better than mine, All of it too.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Thanks, I suspect Bill is away again like you suggest. I had a talk a few weeks ago with Ed Ewing and he was quite nice and had lots of info on the bearcat as would be expected. I couldnt find a email for him so I probably will send him a few photos of my engine and boat projects and stay in touch with him. He had also mentioned a mod he incorporates using a elec. fuel pump and some kind of mod to the carbs which sounds interesting and he also told me to give him a call when I am ready to reinstal the motor head as it takes two people according to him.? He was a nice fellow to talk with. So you are a Biker as well? I have a Roadstar which I refer to as my poor mans Harley. I took another photo this morning of my oil run if you look closely you can see the yellow stain running down the leg.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 29618, member: 2327
                      Thanks, I suspect Bill is away again like you suggest. I had a talk a few weeks ago with Ed Ewing and he was quite nice and had lots of info on the bearcat as would be expected. I couldnt find a email for him so I probably will send him a few photos of my engine and boat projects and stay in touch with him. He had also mentioned a mod he incorporates using a elec. fuel pump and some kind of mod to the carbs which sounds interesting and he also told me to give him a call when I am ready to reinstal the motor head as it takes two people according to him.? He was a nice fellow to talk with. So you are a Biker as well? I have a Roadstar which I refer to as my poor mans Harley. I took another photo this morning of my oil run if you look closely you can see the yellow stain running down the leg.
                      I do know it takes a cherry picker or engine hoist to do the lifting. I have a chain fall that I used in my shop in Quilcene as I had the engine on a rolling stand.
                      I see the oil and yes, mine will do that if I put her on her nose and let her set for a day or so.
                      I have another one that I plan on going over pretty good if I get a shop or even a two car garage to setup in.
                      Yes on the biker thing. I knew a couple of people that had the Roadstar's. Nice bike for sure !
                      I got quite involved back in the early years. Had my first Harley in high school, 50 Panhead.
                      Road BSA, Honda, Nortons on the road, Suzuki and Honda in the dirt.

I was always fond of the Heritage Softail Classic's. Not fond of the new Twin Cams so I am sticking with the EVO which is what saved Harleys butt back in 1984. Mine is a 1996 which is the last year before computers, you know, blink, blink, take me to your Stealership. I am NOT a factory man either.
                      Attached Files
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar, I keep telling you not to park in the FIRE LANE.
                        Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 29620, member: 58
                          Helmar, I keep telling you not to park in the FIRE LANE.
                          I was not parked, just warming my hands. The engine Was running
                          I have always wanted to fine a Beemer in front of a hydrant blocking so I could open the windows with the fire axe. Never did.....
                          Attached Files
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

BillR sent me an email this afternoon and he indeed was out of town on business. He said that I should look to Ed Ewing If he still can provide parts since he (Bill) will be tied up with work. He also indicated that Ed had removed his website and is getting well up there in years which I suspected when I talked with him. If something happens to him and Bill is not able to help I am worried parts wont be available. What to do? I will try Ed Tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

No worries. Parts will be available.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I just got off the phone the Ed Ewing and he is so helpful and willing to talk to me, From the couple of times I have talked with him he has impressed me as a real nice fellow. Anyway I am going to mail him a list of my needs and we will go from there. He wasn't aware that his website was down so he appreciated my call for that as well. He is willing to talk me through any difficulties I encounter with removing the motor and reassembly. I am feeling encouraged and thankful to Ed as well as our club members.

Comment

Working...
                                X