No announcement yet.

More Bearcat Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its the original coil it needs upgrading. You can pick your own. The last one I did got 72 ford f250 coil and condenser blue streak brand. Ive had trouble with lower grade parts.It also needs a fuel filter just before the carb to keep jiblets produced by the fuel pump from pluging it up.Consider not using your homelite controls instead use two lever controls.They like having the gas pumped while cranking and the single lever stops you from doing that. Ship master Simplex can be found cheep.

Comment

I think I have Ed's phone number around and will link up his website once its back up.

I too upgraded my coil. Had to get a different coil mount off of a ford in a bone yard to fit it. Just a little drill press work and she fits great.
      Just get the condenser for the same truck so it matches the coil.
      Like John said, use the 72 Ford f250, any V8.
      Points can he had from NAPA as well..
      When my Bearcat controls give up the ghost, I will convert over to the twin controls as I like them better (old school)
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yes I also have Ed's # and talked with him this morning. He is very helpful and I sent him a letter today with my needs so I will wait for his response. During the winter I will work on obtaining the new coil etc. as you suggest. That is interesting on the controls issue, there was a fellow on the east coast who built the same boat as I am building and he also had a Bearcat for power and used the morse two lever style control mounting on top of his helm box. That boat was a really nicely constructed craft.

Comment

Dont do too much work to it before you know if you like it. Get it ready to start put it in a barel See it pumps water,thermostat opens and carbs and accelerator pumps work only deal with immediate problems.When you get it past the barrel test barrow a boat and try it on the water.Its good to have the mysterys solved before you put it on the nice new boat. I spent last saturday working on a honda carb turns out they need attention too. Ive only worked on four bearcats the problems were ignition carbs and valve adjustmet or some combination.

Comment

Thank you John.

Comment

I am trying to make some room in my crammed full one car garage to take one of the extra long block homelites I have and remove the pan etc. just for some practice and to see what the gaskets are suppose to look like etc. I might as well make use of them.

Comment

I'm still running the stock coil with a Pertronix ignition. No problems yet. The Homelite controls work fine but I can see where duel levers would be a bit of an advantage since I have mine idling so low and without a full warmup it doesn't like to stay running when kicked in to gear.

Motorcycles? I have too many!
                Cl72.jpg shawk.jpg
                Dick Johnson
                1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Cool Vintage Bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 29654, member: 2327
                    Cool Vintage Bikes.

Thanks, just another one of my obsessions besides the Bearcats!

Good idea using your other blocks. Somewhere I have a picture showing the mod to the pan gasket,
                    I'll see if I can find it.
                    Dick Johnson
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Wow those Bearcat cranks look pretty sturdy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hell of a design from the early 1940's! The 85hp Bearcat had only 3 main bearings. I always thought is
                        was too bad they didn't just add 2 more cylinders to the Crosley block and get it up to 85hp.

So I see a motorcycle in the background, Benelli? And the head above the Bearcat blocks looks real familiar, L series Datsun?
                        Dick Johnson
                        '57 Evinrude 18hp
                        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                        '72 Johnson 6hp
                        '65 Homelite 55
                        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Early 60's Ducati 90cc that belongs to my son and yes L24 head for my old Z car I've had for 40 years. Buy the way Ed Ewing is sending me the gaskets I need and provided some detailed instructions that I attempted to write down as we spoke. I will call him back when I really get into the work to make sure I get it right.

Comment

I recieved the Gaskets and O-rings today from Ed Ewing, real fast shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 29752, member: 2327
                              I recieved the Gaskets and O-rings today from Ed Ewing, real fast shipping.
                              I found some pictures of the Crosley pan gasket on the Bearcat block. It works with some modification but the only one of the end cap gaskets is correct. I ended up using one of my old ones. If you get some 1/4" cork you can make one.
                              Dick Johnson
                              '57 Evinrude 18hp
                              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                              '72 Johnson 6hp
                              '65 Homelite 55
                              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Thanks Dick, I did get my gaskets and it includes a couple of lengths of cork.

Comment

Working...
                                X