More Bearcat Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Bearcat Questions

I appreciate the feedback from my fellow Bearcat owners.

1. Can I use General purpose grease for the grease fittings?
    2. My F model does not have a oil filter, is one needed?
    3. The wiring for the coil and other components looks old, should I consider upgrading or renewing?
    4. There is an inspection plate for the shift rod on the starboard side. I have two one with holes and one without, which is the best to use?

I am sure I will have more questions, Thanks for any info.

Craig

I installed my prop but was wondering if it should have a little play? is that normal? If I could tighten the nut another 1/8" I could line up the hole for cotter pin and have no prop movement.
    Attached Files

Comment

I talked with Bill R. the other day and he answered all my questions. I also picked up a oil filter from Napa, boy are they pricey. I still wouldn't mind hearing from other bearcat owners for their opinions.

Comment

A little prop movement is normal, usually from a wallowed out hole through the prop hub or a worn shear pin. When I spoke to Bill a few years ago he said that they originally used brass but later switched to a stainless shear pin. The nut just holds the shear pin from falling out but doesn't have any clamping force for the prop so you can back it off to put the cotter through.

Comment

Thanks Nick.

Comment

I was wondering about replacing the Oil Pan Gasket and the Cam Cover Gasket since this seems the most likely spot for my constant oil leak. I drained my fresh oil back out and it looks like the cam cover is doable without removing the motor but the oil pan looks like it would require the motor removal? Am I correct?

Comment

Yes, to do the pan you have to remove the powerhead. Pretty simple job, eight bolts and some wiring. Biggest bitch is reassembly, lineup of driveshaft to crankshaft. The valve cover gasket must be the correct thickness because of distributor lineup. I remove the powerhead to do the valve adjustment, it's just easier to do.
              Dick Johnson
              1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Yeah not sure what I will do but if I am going to keep this motor maybe that is the route I will have to take. I am not set up for engine work but I suppose if I end up pulling the motor there is more than just the gaskets that i should consider doing? Is there any other option I could consider for the oil leak? I also have been re-reading older posts of yours and my various questions and I think I am starting to understand this motor more and more. If I stick with it and continue on I may end up having a real knowledge of these motors. Your comments and feedback have been great I owe you at least a cup of coffee or lunch or something.

Comment

I am thinking of starting to locate and procure the gaskets I will need to do this job. So beside the pan/cam gaskets I assume I will need some other gaskets and o-rings as well when I reattach the motor ? Is there any other specialty tools needed? are any of the gaskets avail through Napa? I would also like to do a compression test so I need to figure out how to attach a battery and start button.

Comment

I'll try to get you some info this weekend maybe with pictures. I haven't fired mine of this year and may this weekend.
                    Dick Johnson
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Got mine out for the first time yesterday. Had to clean my points up a bit but other than that she ran great. The wife ended up catching a 4 lb bass while we were trolling for blueback. Needless to say now she wants a bass boat.

Comment

Nice to hear that other bearcats are up and running well. I would like to do a compression test before removing the motor for gasket replacements. I need to find my compression tester and find a remote starter. I dont remember how to hook up the starter button. I also discovered that on my control box the set screw that holds the lever in place is frozen in and after soaking with penetrating fluid for a few days still wont budge so I will drill it out and I guess tap for a new screw.

Comment

Here's a picture showing connection for the remote starter switch
                          Attached Files
                          Dick Johnson
                          '57 Evinrude 18hp
                          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                          '72 Johnson 6hp
                          '65 Homelite 55
                          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 29185, member: 292
                            Here's a picture showing connection for the remote starter switch
                            Thank you Super S for the photo.

Comment

I was taking a closer look at the fuel line hookup and noticed it was broken. Is this a special part or can I substitute something else. I also wondered since the part is very hard type of plastic maybe I could tap it and install a new barbed fitting?

Like most of my questions it is usually me thinking out loud. I bought the barbed 1/8" fitting and will attempt to tap the backlite fitting and if that is not successful I can modify or try to find an original part.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X