• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyle, Could you call me? Chuck 800-637-9190
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck, she measures 17 foot...
      Ok I am going to replace the rub strip anyways. I am removing it so I can separate the boat. This will give me great access to the transom and I can replace the plywood on the forward deck. It's showing signs of dry rot.

Looks like the splashwell and top are all one piece
      Lyle
      "Adrift in a sea of information looking for answers to bring me home"

The Build:
      The Dorsett
      Photos:
      1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

By the way... Seeing your broken "Lee Craft" emblem, I am working with my father on creating a 3d model of his vintage Tolleycraft emblems so that he can get them cut on a 5-axis water jet! If all goes well I will have a system for reproducing any vintage emblem! From as little as a scalable photograph!!
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Not much going on, just plugging away at removing hardware. I'm starting from the top down and it is a slow process to remove everything without damaging it. I do know that a lot of the fasteners that come out defiantly won't be going back in. Tacoma screw will be a good place to visit often.

Hammer drills work wonders in removing stubborn screws and it is a good option before you drill the head off.

Brian, I am sure that I will definitely like to see that process. My idea had a few more steps and might not be the same letter type.
          Lyle

The Build:
          The Dorsett
          Photos:
          1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 29099, member: 40
            By the way... Seeing your broken "Lee Craft" emblem, I am working with my father on creating a 3d model of his vintage Tolleycraft emblems so that he can get them cut on a 5-axis water jet! If all goes well I will have a system for reproducing any vintage emblem! From as little as a scalable photograph!!
            um, that is just awesome right there Brian!

Comment

Lyle you're really getting after this one! Nice! Make it a point if you can to come out to Mason Lake on 13 Sep for the big show...lots of ideas and folks to talk to with regards to restorations.

Comment

I am not going to make the September 13 due to other obligations but, I will make a few later if I plan it out.

The more I work on her the more excited I get... It's almost like having a blank canvas but you have to prep the canvas before you can work with it.

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 29070, member: 40
                Your end result will most likely be "resto-mod" but really that's what most of our boats are. Unless you are going to try and win the Tahoe concourse boat show there is no good reason to stress about staying true to original design. Especially if there is no available documentation of the original design...
                Once Brian said that... I relaxed and accepted the boat "too be named later" and now the ideas are just popping. My goal is to get to the structural part of the restore. That is where it will get interesting. I will start planing the layout of the stringers and frames while taking into account what will the main purpose of this lil' craft will be.

Layout
                Needs -
                structural stuff
                propulsion / steering
                electrical
                plumbing
                storage
                seating

Each one of those can be expanded even more.

Its going to be a long process and I want everything done right the first time.

I also have a few other projects that will turn this into a year project along with my work that seems to get in the way of everything.

Immediate attention:
                My motorcycle has electrical issues which prevents me from riding (Part is on order).

Long term:
                I seem to be in the 3rd year of a simple remodel of part of my house of which I am getting close to finishing.

Ill keep updating as I go along and I am also reorganizing my photo bucket so I may lose some photos I posted previously. Ill fix em when I find them.
                Lyle

The Build:
                The Dorsett
                Photos:
                1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

I think I am going to cut her just to give better access to the transom and still retain the forward hull shape once the rub rail is removed.

[ATTACH]16602[/ATTACH]

Thoughts?
                  Attached Files
                  Lyle

The Build:
                  The Dorsett
                  Photos:
                  1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

While replacing the transom on my Johnson Runabout, I cut her along the inside edges of the splash well
                    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                    14' Stilleto

Comment

Anyone know an appraiser? The last time she was titled was 2001 and they require an appraisel so the they can tax me on her before they can put it in my name. I am not gonna move it but the more work I put into it the higher the value (I would hope).

At least I have the title...
                      Lyle

The Build:
                      The Dorsett
                      Photos:
                      1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle, post: 29159, member: 2441
                        Anyone know an appraiser? The last time she was titled was 2001 and they require an appraisel so the they can tax me on her before they can put it in my name. I am not gonna move it but the more work I put into it the higher the value (I would hope).

At least I have the title...
                        I have never had to do that. Who is telling you this?
                        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                        14' Stilleto

Comment

You're gonna want to find an appraiser who will put a low "unrestored" value on it.. There is no sense in paying taxes on all the work you've already done.

Although, like Karl said, I have never been asked to get an appraisal on small craft even after not being registered for 10+ years...
                          Brian Flaherty

Comment

At the licensing place in Marysville, They could not find this boat listed in its database and could not give it a tax value. Maybe she did not know what she was doing? I don't know? She told me I had to go to the department of revenue and get it appraised before they would issue me a new title. I can't make this stuff up. She did register the trailer in my name so that's done.

Ill try again later.
                            Lyle

The Build:
                            The Dorsett
                            Photos:
                            1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

I would suggest a different office. Normally you would present whatever paperwork you have along with a bill of sale signed by the previous owner that states what you paid for the boat... This "paid" value is what you should be taxed for. Unless the state has changed it's methods in the last 5 years this was how I have always handled title transfers.
                              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 29168, member: 40
                                I would suggest a different office. Normally you would present whatever paperwork you have along with a bill of sale signed by the previous owner that states what you paid for the boat... This "paid" value is what you should be taxed for. Unless the state has changed it's methods in the last 5 years this was how I have always handled title transfers.

Lyle, I agree with Brian, they go by what you "paid" for it. Was that a state office ? I have never heard of a licensing place saying that. Go to another place anyway. Your title should have the model and name brand of the boat. Don't use or say the word CLASSIC to them.... ! That could set off all kinds of bells. The place i go to , i just tell them it's another junker....play it down...like it will take about 2-3 years to get it ready for the water. Only get the hull title change in your name and tell them you will be back " someday " when it's ready for the water as far as the hull sticker. They will do that and again don't tell how many bucks you put into it. Don't volunteer anything. Chuck
                                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                                X