1968 Bearcat 55

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Bearcat 55

I think I am interested in selling my Bearcat plus extras. I bought it almost 2 years back from Bill Roberts. I have never run it but am unaware of any reason it wouldn't run. Bill said it was a good motor and I have no reason to doubt him. I purchased it and since touched up the paint, cleaned it up a bit, changed all oils and the same for the controller. I purchased it for 650.00 and that is what I am selling her for. Comes with two extra powerheads and a few other small extras.

Craig
    425-778-7650
    Soar561@hotmail.com
    Attached Files

Have you ever ridden in a boat with a Bearcat motor ?
    There will be some at Mason, worth a ride first.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 29108, member: 59
      Have you ever ridden in a boat with a Bearcat motor ?
      There will be some at Mason, worth a ride first.
      They are just too damn heavy and it's hurting the economy not buying all that damn fuel!!!!!
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

As far as outboards go these are really a great choice if you can keep them going. You can run this on the "no 2-stroke" lakes (like Whatcom).

I agree with Joe, you really ought to ride in a boat with one and see what they're capable of before you sell yours. Unless, of course, you already have your mind set on a different power plant...
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I cant remember ever riding in a outboard boat at all. I have rowed a few boats and riding in various inboard boats. Anyway I would love to see other bearcats in action. when is Mason and where is it.? I have watched a few on you tube. I actually don't have any money on hand for a new motor so If I do go that route I will have to finance one. I would prefer to use the bearcat I have but don't want to have to work on it all the time to keep it running if that is something that might happen. I just want to also add a thank you to you guys since there is no one else who could provide feedback with the knowledge you all have with these motors. I look forword to meeting all of you in the near future.

Comment

Mason lake is Saturday September 13th. The lake is West of Tacoma (across the narrows) in Grapeview Washington. There are sown event details in the events discussion forum.

[ATTACH]16596[/ATTACH]
            Attached Files
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Yes I see the location, unfortunately we have a function on the same day that has been scheduled for some time. Maybe next year.

Comment

I love mine and wouldn't trade it for a new one. There is a pretty good article over on fiberglassics where they compared it to a new 50 hp four stroke and believe it or not the old Bearcat kept up and even beat the new one in a few key areas. Working on them is easier than you think, plus no pesky electronic b.s. Somewhere I have some parts interchange info too.

Comment

Not sure where working on it all the time comes into play? Sure it's an older outboard that will need a little TLC, but if it's a solid foundation to work with, routine maintenance is all you need.
                  Not that you asked for our opinion, but I say keep it, run it and see from there...otherwise it's an unknown to you forever and who wants that?

Comment

Kelly, can you give me the name of the fellow that did your Bearcat again.
                    I am going to confront him with a free ad on our system. Fact is, I am going to have several free boat related ads that will be introductory and then hope to market some advertizing to some of the bigger companies. Its what people do ;-)
                    I am sure its a OK from our advisers but will also check.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Will do, I'll dig up his business card and post it for you.

Comment

I own several, the one I've used the most is a '65. I do work on it a bit mainly to get it to the trolling speed I need. I idle it for hours at 500 to 550 rpm. When set to the recommended idle speed of 650rpm I'd never have to touch it. Valves set correctly, good even compression, they are hard to beat. I do run the pertronix ignition but never had a problem with points either. Having run OB's since 1980 these by far are great and reliable for an older engine, no smoke, never foul a plug, and stingy on fuel.
                        Dick Johnson
                        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                        '57 Evinrude 18hp
                        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                        '72 Johnson 6hp
                        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                        '65 Homelite 55
                        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

That sure sounds like what I was hoping for. Speed is not an issue since my wife and I just want to take our time, putt around and enjoy the scenery. I will have to figure out how to stop the excessive oil leak or I'll end up in trouble with the EPA or some other Gov't agency.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X