No announcement yet.

Skagit 20 - Alaskan Bulkhead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fiberglass roof. Wood forms still in some places on the inside where I extended the length. The 3rd cross brace is just sitting there. It actually goes across the extended part. As is now, it weights 50lbs and is ca. 5.5" high at it's thickest part. I'm going to trim it down to 3". When finished it should weigh ca. 30lbs.

The boatyard view gives you hint of how the additions fit the original shape.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Final version of the roof - thinned. Pictured are the original "unoriginal", that stripped and extended, and the resized final version.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Skagit Hideaway View Post
        Aviation guys are super mechanics. Two strokes are like rubber bands to them. Just the same, I'd like a backup motor.
        LOL! Never heard that one before. I was a UH-1H crewchief and worked on the Lycoming T53-L13; I can tell you that the 307 on our Rogue II is cake. In the end, though, an engine is an engine...Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.
        Last edited by Frederic Lynes; 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM.
        Frederic
        Retired Army Guy
        1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210
        1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

• Fairing the new roof. The 3 holes (with surrounding bolt holes) are for the radar/gadget bracket.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Lance-
            Coming right along ! Have been waiting for an update....
            Guessing you attached a thin plywood extension to the underside of the existing top, a release material then about 3 layers of structural glass cloth in resin. What we're seeing there is a fairing compound on top of the cloth/resin structure ? Almost looks like a thickened epoxy ( the off-white area). If you used the ply, did you remove it or is it there for more strength ?
            Keep up the fine work !
            Another PM in your inbox....
            bruceb

Comment

• Removed all the plywood and added a composit rib down the middle. The fairing goop is an epoxy resin/microspheres/cab-o-sil mixture.

Comment

• I love the work you are doing. I would love the chance to look it over and ask questions...
                Lyle
                "Adrift in a sea of information looking for answers to bring me home"

The Build:
                The Dorsett
                Photos:
                1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

• Lyle,

PM sent.

LB

Comment

• ...had to take some time out from the boat project to attend to some family matters. We are going to be moving it to Spokane in the next weeks, where I will finish it up, hopefully by next spring. Since it is now 22' long, we needed a new trailer. This one is adjustable to 24' and was set up that way initially, so it looks huge. Should do the job.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Here is the boat all wrapped up.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Skagit Hideaway; 08-07-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• It looks pretty cool like that! Nice trailer!

Comment

• Pre-wrapping boatyard mess...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• So you say your new trailer looks huge... But I would think it looks a few feet short! If I were doing as much work to a boat as you are I would have the boat as protected by trailer as humanly possible! Being around boats all my life I have always wondered why people carry their beautiful boats on trailers that leave 2-3 feet of boat hanging off the back (well beyond any frame members and the lights) which just seems very vulnerable to damage on the road... There was a member of ACBS-PNW that had his little 17' Chris Craft Deluxe get rear ended on a trailer setup like yours and it nearly totaled the boat! He had to replace frames all the way up to midship to the impact! Our boat is on a trailer that protrudes at least 3-4 inches beyond any part of the boat from transom all the way up to the windshield where the trailer narrows upto the tongue...

I know the outboard will always be vulnerable but this setup looks like the outboard would be 4-6 feet beyond the end of the trailer?? What is legal overhang?
                            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

• Here, the trailer (boat position) is adjusted for proper tongue weight, sans motors. With motors, the boat will sit a foot or two further foreward.

The trailer seemed huge before I had the boat in it, as it is so much bigger than the trailer that came with the boat originally. After getting it on there, it doesn't seem soooo big, after all.
                              Last edited by Skagit Hideaway; 08-08-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• I see... If the boat was a foot or two further forward it would definitely seem more correct.. I do like that you got such a nice trailer for it though! Those beauties are near indestructible. Same units we used for all the boats built at Aluminum Chambered Boats.

You done a lot of impressive work to that Skagit and I would hate to see it fall victim to crumbly old trailer disaster...
                                Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                                1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X