Mercs and salt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercs and salt

Would like to know if anyone uses Saltaway for flushing after each trip to the Sound? Living here in Seattle area, I would say that 85% of our boating will be in Puget Sound. So, I hear about salt and Mercury outboards. Ours is a 76, 150/1500 L6. Anything special other than flushing after each outing that we need to be aware of?

Thanks
    Grizz of Laurie & Grizz
    Life begins at a shoreline.

Grizz, Never put anything except water in the motor while flushing. No problems. Say i left a posting on the main board asking you if you were coming to Mason Lake so i could bring some Dorsett Farallon parts you and i talk about on the phone. All i could find as far as posting was August 17th saying you were coming ? Being that was a kind old posting i did not know if that was still good or not. Thanks,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

That motor came with a blued steel drive shaft and shift saft. After four or five years they will rust and allow water in the lower unit. Some stainless shafts were made it might be updated already.I was told to check with obc or seaway marine to see if any are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 29423, member: 6
        Grizz, Never put anything except water in the motor while flushing. No problems. Say i left a posting on the main board asking you if you were coming to Mason Lake so i could bring some Dorsett Farallon parts you and i talk about on the phone. All i could find as far as posting was August 17th saying you were coming ? Being that was a kind old posting i did not know if that was still good or not. Thanks,Chuck

UPDATE
        Grizz , i have posted twice to see if you still want those Farallon parts..no reply If you still want them tell me quick or they will be added to my list going to the dump. Chuck

Comment

To Chuck: Have been away on vacation. If we can get together sometime within the next two weeks that would be great. We just need to set a time and I'll make the trip up to your place.

To John: Thanks for the information. Good timing, I'm going to pull lower end and replace impeller within the next three weeks. I'll check out the shafts. Thanks again for the heads up.

Best to all
          Grizz
          Life begins at a shoreline.

Comment

To Chuck: Have been away on vacation. If we can get together sometime within the next two weeks that would be great. We just need to set a time and I'll make the trip up to your place.

Grizz, charles.carey@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
            X