X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Uniflite - A true '60 I believe

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4686858109.html
    $1K

I truly believe this one is a 1960. Note the hatch is moved to the lower section of the bow while the Nav light is up on top of the cabin windows. I believe it to be a '60 because it has the same paint as John's '59 and is still a '17 Express whereas is '61 they went to a '19 Express like Nick's boat.
    Either way, it's a cool boat that looks like it would clean up nicely.

Original trailer and it appears all of the hardware too! Score!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 29680, member: 2323
      Original trailer and it appears all of the hardware too! Score!
      I think you are right on this Kelly.

Funny, it seems that our club members owns more of these classics that anyone knows about.
      Which, I might add, will help the search engines find us.

I have searched and searched and have not found as much information that we have here. Pretty cools guys
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

It's shame to see a boat stored that way (bow down) which pretty much guarantees that the whole cabin interior/floor/stringers are junk!
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

The hardware is definitely original (same as my boat) and you can tell that its early '60's due to the cabin window design also. I believe they offered the 17' along with the 19' for a bit.

This ad was from 1961/2 if I remember right, notice the 19' ob 3rd in from the back next to the 20'i/o. Interesting in black and white you can see that there were different topside colors offered. I wonder if it was model specific or if you could special order them.
          and the 17' ob 3rd from the front along with a 17' i/o(never seen one) the two up front must be a 15 and a 16'? no forward hatch.

[ATTACH]16858[/ATTACH]
          Attached Files

Comment

Nick, seems that you have had more information on these that many others. Good Score!!!!
            I really like this one

Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you Nick however everything I've found says the smallest model is the 17' Express. One could make the argument that a 17' Express is actually around 16' but hey, even modern boat manufacturers stretch the truth with their boat sizes. I'd be interested in seeing a close up of that shot and see if there is a hatch on the cabin roof (and it's painted) similar to John's Uniflite.
              I do agree there are some odd sizes going on in that pic. Going by the theory that a 17' was the smallest offered, then starting from the bottom as a 17', the next O/B model would be a 19', the next would be a 20', then 19' I/O, then 19', then 20', and finally a whopper...23-24'. My best guess. Granted, this ad was from 61/62 so they could have went smaller...?

There has to be a few older fellas that worked there, or better yet, were in management/advertising, that are still around that can provide some answers with proof to back it up. Granted there was a fire and a lot was lost, but everything can't be gone???

Comment

Interesting that the one for sale and the ones in the ad don't have wipers. They must have stopped adding them in 59?

Another note: The one for sale must be a 17' because it's on a single axle trailer, the 19's came with dual axle trailers.

Comment

Here is a 1958 brochure that I found tucked away. I guess color options were available. I agree with you Kelly, I have never seen anything smaller than a 17' But looking at the two boats in the foreground I don't see a shadow cast by a hatch cover. Then again I haven't ever seen a 17' I/O and only came across one 20' I/O. Info is pretty scarce on these smaller cruisers. I really hope someone picks this one up.

My 19 looked like a pregnant girl on roller skates on the little Snoco dual axle trailer.

[ATTACH]16862[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16863[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]16864[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've got that one too, cool ad. I would love to see a '58 19 footer with the early windows...from what I can tell that would be like seeing bigfoot. Nick your 19 footer looks like it has a longer bow than any of those in the ad above. It could be just the way the pics are, but does it look longer to you?

Maybe I should merge this thread with the other Uniflite info thread we had going a few months ago...

Comment

greetings nick what is the big boat in the line up in your picture add (last one) looks like a i/o did they come with two motors in the bigger uniflits 60 thur 65

Comment

Its kinda hard to judge by the picture but mine is pretty much a copy of the one in the back. The outboard express seems to have a much lower cabin roof than the similar sized I/O also.

Mike, from what I have pieced together over the years the 23' was offered with either single or twin I/O ( I messed up and missed out on a 1963 23' with twin iron duke 4cyl and volvo outdrives, still kicking myself over that one) I have also seen a few with single small block chrysler power. The larger models 26' and up I believe were v-drive or straight inboard single or twin.

Comment

greetings nick,,,thanks for the info.......would u still like to get a bigger 1963 uniflite..like a twin 26..with the v8 engines and the screws out the bottom...........nice interior,,, stove- dinning table -head ect....wow so mush room,inside....know where one is ...wow,,, got my dads thats all i can deal with mike p

Comment

What happen to the 20' Skagit you got from that old fella for $300.00 back in May ????? Do you still have it at your place in Kent.
                            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

greetings chuck............skagit 20 is home in my shop along side dads 17 ft 1960 express cruser......wow what a site to see them together

Comment

Working...
                              X