Skagit Tyee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit Tyee

Not sure I like what they did in the Transom area with that big plate....
    If anyone is Jonesing about a Tyee, here is one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201182584863...S:1120&vxp=mtr
    1957 skagit 19.5' - $2000 (Nehalem)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    35500 Schooner way
    (google map) (yahoo map)

1957 Skagit 19"6" deep v fiberglass hull, 1994 60 hp. Tohatsu two stroke, auto lube oil injection, hydraulic trim, rack & pinion cable steering, fish finder, anchor, aluminum davit and crab pots. Double axle trailer with spare tire. $2000.00.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Man, that seems like a wad of cash for that project. How rare are Tyees? The transom looks a bit scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 29709, member: 2323
      Man, that seems like a wad of cash for that project. How rare are Tyees? The transom looks a bit scary.
      I myself was never fond of that design. Bell Boys did kind of the same thing with some they had.
      They are starting to get more rare as not too many have been seen.
      I only know of two of them right now, maybe three.
      John Nelson who you know also has one of those that he takes into the San Juans. His is a inboard flat head 6 and gets right with the program.
      I could be wrong but I think they only made them in 20 feet.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 29713, member: 59
        I myself was never fond of that design. Bell Boys did kind of the same thing with some they had.
        They are starting to get more rare as not too many have been seen.
        I only know of two of them right now, maybe three.
        John Nelson who you know also has one of those that he takes into the San Juans. His is a inboard flat head 6 and gets right with the program.
        I could be wrong but I think they only made them in 20 feet.
        If anyone want to chat about Tyees I like many things about that layout over a cuddy, and would be happy to chat about my thoughts. 14' of open space from the dash to the motor well allows for a lot of fun!
        Ken

Comment

....didn't realize that is a "deep v fiberglass hull". Looks like a nice, good weather boat. It's a more exciting view from the bow, certainly. There will be more hull / deck flex since there is no proper bulkhead. Metal/rotton wood transom sandwich. You could put an outboard extension bracket on it and get another 12" of cockpit space, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken, post: 29769, member: 78
            If anyone want to chat about Tyees I like many things about that layout over a cuddy, and would be happy to chat about my thoughts. 14' of open space from the dash to the motor well allows for a lot of fun!
            Ken

Hi Ken, Do you still have your Tyee. I have aways like the Tyee and cabin Express models. Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

The Tyee model was produced only as a 20' model, in 1956-7 and in 59, 60,61. John, do you know about that ?
              Those three later years were a squared forward windshield with glass and squarish/geometric side walls that went back to the stern. The later year sidewalls were covered with the then trendy......walnut grain formica !!
              Good catch, Lance, that's a standard Skagit 20 hull, not a deep V !!
              Have found the boats with inboard,outboard and I/O in the later production years.
              What was interesting was that the boats had an option ? of a head under the helm seat (port side) and up under the bow was a "v"berth for camping. The boats came from the factory with a set of bows, nicely shaped (not like the ones in these pics) and a canvas top. Much like the Skimaster hardtops, these canvas tops were hard to get under to get to the helm, so many weren't operated with tops. They looked cool with the top on.
              The forward weight bias with helm location made the boat ride better compared to an express, as I think John Nelson has mentioned.
              As this boat in the ad is altered, the original helm had a cool molded dash area for gauges, featuring a era Ford multifunction gauge with chrome plating.
              So far, 6 -7 of the 1956-7 models have surfaced with 4-5 of the 1959-61 production design.
              John, Bruce, Ken, Marty, have owned the Tyees
              Pics of John's boat in La Conner, 2010.
              Attached Files

Comment

Talk about a gas tank ? Was it a test boat.
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hi, Chuck! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Fall and winter time is good for healing......
                  Yes, I still have my Tyee. Haven't used it much since I started restoring Pelican sailboats with my buddies Jay and Paul (wooden boat work is fun--especially with these guys), but there is always next season! Take care!
                  Ken

Comment

[ATTACH]16949[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files

Comment

A pic of my Tyee...

Comment

Nice looking boat Ken!

Comment

I really like the wrap around windshield and think the design looks cool. If I had money I would buy such a project. I guess I just like the old designs.

Comment

I see difference in these boats,square front windows,a ridge atop the window frame bow hatch,console and inboard.I hadent seen the rounded windsheild on a chinook always flat glass.

Comment

Working...
                            X