1958 Skagit 20 - Hardtop model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmar
    I paid $6,600 for the trailer. Including tax and conversion to accommodate an inboard. This is a dbl axel with 4 disc brakes, aluminum ibeam with multiple articulating bunks. I think it is rated at 6,000 lbs?
    Attached Files
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Comment

wow! Nice trailer! Little spendy for me right now, but I bet it's worth every penny.

Comment

Yes, it was a little spendy for me too! But after looking at all my options including used versus Easy Loader, King etc., but the Karavan seemed to be the best fit for me.
        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
        14' Stilleto

Comment

So now my internal debate begins...
          Do I sell the Uniflite to fund the Skagit restore? Do I keep it, have 3 boats and drive myself crazy? Better yet, drive the wife crazy? I'm okay with driving her crazy, we've been married for 21 years!

I'd mainly need to fund the trailer and outboard. I believe I can get away with the wood the Skagit currently has, at least for another season of boating. I see lots of options for an outboard on Craigslist...from a 90 to a 115hp. That will be the biggest cost as I'll find a galvanized trailer on CL also, but for much cheaper than an outboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
            So now my internal debate begins...
            Do I sell the Uniflite to fund the Skagit restore? Do I keep it, have 3 boats and drive myself crazy? Better yet, drive the wife crazy? I'm okay with driving her crazy, we've been married for 21 years!

I'd mainly need to fund the trailer and outboard. I believe I can get away with the wood the Skagit currently has, at least for another season of boating. I see lots of options for an outboard on Craigslist...from a 90 to a 115hp. That will be the biggest cost as I'll find a galvanized trailer on CL also, but for much cheaper than an outboard.
            Hard question. You can't push the Skagit with the Bearcat, not enough poop so you have to go a bigger gas guzzling motor to push it around, much more weight to move.

One of these days I might have to unload my Uniflite to fund the total restoration on the Dorsett Catalina.
            I have my 20ft Offshore but she is a runner and just needs a large amount of tlc again.
            My bucket list was to take the Skagit to the San Juans. Now if I can take her down to Astoria and back, that will do fine. After that, reality says I will sell her and stick with only one boat.....Not sure if I can really pull that off but going to try.
            Its going to be hard to sell the 59 Skagit as well as the Uniflite. I know I can push the Catalina with no problems using the Bearcat.
            Trying to keep everything simple as I know you can never get your money back. (well, Chuck does pretty good)

You will have more family room in the Skagit so hard decision.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I love the Uniflite and am not excited to sell it nor do I really need to at the moment, but if the right buyer comes along... sell sell sell!
              The Skagit is a project, but not any more than the Uniflite was when I started.

Comment

This boat looks like a great boat that may not need that much. Any more pics?

Comment

Stumbled upon this 20' Bell Boy Convertible today. The best part about it is the trailer, so I'm contemplating picking the whole thing up to keep the trailer for the Skagit. The hull has some parts on it I'd like too but after that, the hull will go away...if I pick it all up. Is it wrong to put a Bell Boy trailer under a Skagit!?!?

2014-12-26 09.26.24.jpg

Do you guys know of any issues with these trailers that I shouldn't put it under the Skagit?

2014-12-26 09.24.39.jpg

Comment

They hulls are not that much different.
                    Marty had been almost a year or so trying to give that model away but no takers. May have been cut up and taken to the dump.
                    Would have made a nice work boat at least.

A trailer is a trailer and might not have to do very much adjustment.
                    I have one similar to that I am into for $300. Mine is more like the trailer Bruce B has under his. Believe its a Calkins.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

This one reminded me of Bruce's trailer, except this one has the one fender as opposed to two fenders. I like the trailer, I guess my one concern is the trailer isn't wider than the boat. Sure they ran them like that all the time originally but life is different these days IMHO. More than likely I'll pull the trigger though...

oh and I'll probably cut the hull...the window frames were hit by a limb right smack in the middle of the pillar.

Comment

Go on Craigslist in Seattle and look for Homelite motors. An ad for Homelite motors and parts has a Skagit steering wheel in the ad. Do not say anything about NWCBC as the person who I believe to have posted the ad does not like us and would raise the price to anyone from NWCBC and may be unwilling to sell. Clint

Comment

Originally posted by strobee View Post
                          Go on Craigslist in Seattle and look for Homelite motors. An ad for Homelite motors and parts has a Skagit steering wheel in the ad. Do not say anything about NWCBC as the person who I believe to have posted the ad does not like us and would raise the price to anyone from NWCBC and may be unwilling to sell. Clint
                          Thanks Clint. Email sent... I believe I know who it is also, hopefully my short history here won't go against me

Comment

Regarding the boat that Marty cut up... I have the upper deck bow in my side yard. It will make a nice table one of these days... I had to cut the rest of it up. You should have seen it in the back of the truck coming from Marty's shop. Hilarious!

As for engine, remember to check with Port Angeles Power Sports if you are looking to buy new. A CL search for "bart" will turn up his adds. There is a lot of money to be saved no matter what size you go with and they are easy to deal with. If you decide to go with a 115...The Suzuki 140 I got is the same block but weighs less. Depending on availability either would be more than enough for that boat.
                            Last edited by TheBronze; 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM.
                            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                            Past Affairs:
                            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I remember hearing this before about that fellow up in Port Angeles.
                              You can bet your bottom dollar anything used has been in the salt water. Not much else around other than Lake Cresent for fresh water maybe.

I also heard of a guy in the Salem Oregon area that is like Doc Frankenmerc. Very good with the old Merc's....
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Right you are Helmar. Anything from a private party almost certainly will have been in salt water. However, the engines I'm talking about in PA are crate motors. You can put them in your own salt or fresh water as desired.
                                John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                                Past Affairs:
                                '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                                X