Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If they were still making Bearcats today...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If they were still making Bearcats today...

I stumbled upon a thread online where a guy was restoring his Boston Whaler. He really wanted to capture the look of a Bearcat but wanted modern power, so he mixed the two and came up with this:

DSCF8875.jpg
    031-1200.jpg
    DSCF9010.jpg
    photo_51-1200.jpg

I will say I've thought about doing the same thing with a modern outboard...faking the funk by slapping on some Bearcat stickers on a newer outboard just to mess with people

It would be cool if the Bearcat line came back even if it's not a Crosley engine, they would've evolved over time....

That looks pretty cool! I think about the "what if" the Bearcat line would have survived. Maybe the problems with the 85hp would have been solved. I did have my 85 running pretty damn nice after many hours of frustration. What I would've like to seen was an aluminum block 6 cylinder Crosley based engine. http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTre..._Eng_Tree.html
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I like the 90 Bearcat thing going on there. Nice job! If I recall, the 85 was based on the English Coventry Climax 4 cyl, 4 cycle motor with a 3 main bearing set-up. Yeah, too bad Bearcat couldn't have hung on a bit longer. I still get a kick out of seeing Crosley cars....
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Not a Bearcat "look alike"fat50withyamalowunit.jpg, but idea of using a vintage look on a newer motor. Think the base motor for this is a Yamaha. The owner was talented in fiberglass fabrication and built the pan area from scratch to adapt the shape of the cowl bottom.
        bruceb

Comment

wow, amazing work! I like that idea too! Hmm...wheels are a spinnin' in my head!

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones View Post
            I like the 90 Bearcat thing going on there. Nice job! If I recall, the 85 was based on the English Coventry Climax 4 cyl, 4 cycle motor with a 3 main bearing set-up. Yeah, too bad Bearcat couldn't have hung on a bit longer. I still get a kick out of seeing Crosley cars....
            You are correct Tim, Coventry Climax FWB (Feather Weight Block) 1460cc.
            Dick Johnson
            1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Wasn't there a fella in out club a few years ago that had a sweet little green and white cuddy boat that he painted a newer motor to match the original boat colors? Seems I recall he did a pretty steller job at making a new-ish motor look vintage...
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian-
                Forgot who's boat that was, but you jogged the memory. Maybe that was Greg Jame's 17' cruiser with the 50 Evinrude. He matched the boat colors and had new letters made for the cowl- "Rude". Greg, you have pics ?
                Marty had a black motor (Yamaha 2 stroke?) and put horizontal chrome pieces on the cowl to make it look like a Merc black stack. It was on a white 1958-59 Bell Boy cruiser.

bruceb

Comment

IMG_8601.jpgIMG_8601.jpgHere it is just before I changed it back to say Evinrude instead of Rude when I did a total redo 3 yrs. ago.
                  Greg James

Comment

IMG_8826.jpgTIMG_8826.jpgThis is it now. I have two engine cowlings, one saying Rude and one saying Evinrude. I'm going to redo the Rude one and do my Evinrude kicker to say LiL Rude.
                    Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
                      Brian-
                      Forgot who's boat that was, but you jogged the memory. Maybe that was Greg Jame's 17' cruiser with the 50 Evinrude. He matched the boat colors and had new letters made for the cowl- "Rude". Greg, you have pics ?
                      Marty had a black motor (Yamaha 2 stroke?) and put horizontal chrome pieces on the cowl to make it look like a Merc black stack. It was on a white 1958-59 Bell Boy cruiser.

bruceb

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                      16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                      17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

That's the one!! Dave your mind is like a steel trap!
                        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
                          That's the one!! Dave your mind is like a steel trap!
                          I have one that is like a steel trap, but its gotten rusty

I am glad we have Dave as our Tech man for all the details on technology. Thanks for that Dave.!
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen
                          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                          X