Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why we used to look forward to going to the boat show!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we used to look forward to going to the boat show!

As Capt. TimJones knows and has said many times there was a once upon a time when we went to the show to have our imaginations stimulated by what we saw there, often creating an insatiable desire for this or that vessel. When I was 12 years old the 14 Skagit that I recently purchased was an example of that for me.
    This time while the boat show was loaded with 18 to 24 foot open bow runabouts which did little to stir the imagination even with their 200 hp Stern drives. However, there was at least one boat there that got my juices flowing. In my view it was a boat that would please the likes of Howard Hawks, or Humphrey Bogart with or without Lauren Bacall.

That boat was the Hinckley which was in the far southwestcorner of the main hall getting very little attention. Looking to me like adown Easter fishing boat, it was absolutely beautiful to these eyes. I guessfast and heavy doesn’t do for me what it once did when aboat required goggles so you can see where you are going even in calm seas.

hinkleya.jpg<<<Click for bigger
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

I get much more excited going to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show. A little more my speed.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Dave that boat is beautiful for sure! I wish I could have made it to the show this year.

Comment

Dave, Hinckleys sure are beautiful boats, a proud company with a great history, originally a sailboat maker from Southeast Harbor, Maine.
        We have a manufacturer in Anacortes , San Juan Yachts, that makes similar looking pieces of watercraft. San Juan is a different product from Hinckley as it's a more conventional power train- inboard diesels with prop drive in recessed tunnels. Hinckleys use diesels with jet drives, and bow, stern thrusters linked to really slick joystick computer controls that talk to the different thrust sources. Easy docking !
        I like this Hinchinckley0001.jpgkley pic.....

Comment

I said this? Well maybe I did. I used to look forward to the boat show as a kid. Now I go ever couple of years to see what is new.

"As Capt. Tim Jones knows and has said many times there was a once upon a time when we went to the show to have our imaginations stimulated by what we saw there, often creating an insatiable desire for this or that vessel".

I've always admired the Hinckley Picnic boats. Their construction and beauty is second to none. Unfortunately Hinckley didn't patent their hull form and Picnic Boat style and as Bruce mentioned, are copied by San Juan Yachts. A much heavier boat.

Hinckleys and the old Bertram 31's are classics. A few others, all of which are out of my league. The Skagit 31 Saratogan is more boat that I need, but I still love the lines and proportions. For me, the boats built in the 40's and 50's look like boats should look. Beauty and function, fluid lines and correct proportions are combined and not overstated. My two cent.......

P.S. Like the Bogart Becall photo !
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
          X