Inland NW events

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inland NW events

I'm working on getting an event or two together over on this side. Going to talk to Harrison for their Harrison Days show and shine as well as the Coeur d'Alene and Priest Lake shows. Have to see what my work schedule looks like but I think I should have some time. Hopefully get some new members too. I still need to order the burgee for the boat. Gotta show some support on this side. I'll keep you all posted.
    Kelly, may need to pm you on what to do to coordinate a successful event.

Nick, I'll tell you what to do to coordinate a successful event after the May outing ...ha!

I've seen pics from the events over there, I have no doubt you would pull in some new members!

Comment

Lol I'm sure it will go off without a hitch. Hopefully my work schedule cooperates, if so we will come over for sure.

Comment

When I coordinated my Baker Lake event, I went to all the local boating stores and got "sponsorship donations" like gift cards, tool bags, hats, etc.. Then I made a "poker run" of sorts that was actually a word and number scramble (placed big banners around the lake with a letter and a number, the letters had to be unscrambled to form a boat manufacturer's name and the numbers added up to the year of an active member's boat.. I believe the answer was 1959 Uniflite) I had prizes for top 3 finishers and a special one for longest distance traveled...

At the planning stages of the event we had about 12 boats planning to attend, then Mother Nature stepped in and ruined the day! We had 5 boats, counting mine and my father's.. We one additional member who tried to come boatless but due to the terrible conditions we moved to a different launch ramp and were unable to connect with him...

So it really doesn't matter what you do, if Mother Nature decides to act up then most people stay home.
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

That sounds like a fun event Brian. The event I'm leading is pretty simple; centered around sight seeing and a small picnic. Right now I'm just hoping people show up. Karl is in, Nick is sounding confident he can make it...and that's it. I'd hate to see another spring/summer go by and have little to no events happen. That was a bummer.

Comment

Well your event sounds looks awesome to me but we don't take the Chris in saltwater (been alive since June of '68 and she's never touched salt, so I don't want to be the first).

If I ever get a job, thanks Obama!, we will be getting a midsized cruiser for saltwater use and then I will be at every event the kids will allow!!
            Brian Flaherty

Comment

I know where you are coming from Brian, we have 5 and range from 12 to 3. But they were all raised on the boat it seems. First thing the youngest asked is if we can take the boat out.

Comment

The kiddos are another big reason the Chris will most likely never see saltwater on out watch as it is a low profile, flat bottom, ski boat that would be scary in puget sound water especially with two toddlers on board... I may be crazy but that is just plan child endangerment.

I should have bought "Rosario" from Jerry when he sold her. A Skagit 17 express wouldn't suffice for overnighting with kids but it would be perfectly sufficient for getting them out on the salt.
                Brian Flaherty

Comment

I have a few dates for events over here. Wasn't sure if the freshwater forum is ready to post in or not

Comment

Originally posted by 61_express View Post
                    I have a few dates for events over here. Wasn't sure if the freshwater forum is ready to post in or not
                    Hi Nick
                    I have have Ed help me as I am stumbling around trying to get the Rights to the field figured out.

Maybe Saturday or Sunday, sorry.
                    I will send you a message straight away once its working.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
                      When I coordinated my Baker Lake event, I went to all the local boating stores and got "sponsorship donations" like gift cards, tool bags, hats, etc.. Then I made a "poker run" of sorts that was actually a word and number scramble (placed big banners around the lake with a letter and a number, the letters had to be unscrambled to form a boat manufacturer's name and the numbers added up to the year of an active member's boat.. I believe the answer was 1959 Uniflite) I had prizes for top 3 finishers and a special one for longest distance traveled...

At the planning stages of the event we had about 12 boats planning to attend, then Mother Nature stepped in and ruined the day! We had 5 boats, counting mine and my father's.. We one additional member who tried to come boatless but due to the terrible conditions we moved to a different launch ramp and were unable to connect with him...

So it really doesn't matter what you do, if Mother Nature decides to act up then most people stay home.

The donations to the club might be tricky as for now, I don't have us setup as a 501(c)3. That takes a little, no, that takes a bunch of work to make happen.
                      Whole different reporting scheme has to happen.
                      Right now, I can get away with a 990N or what they call as post card form.

We Really and I mean REALLY need a book keeper, tax person.

I did pay the State there fee's today for the Business name. Have to do that to have a bank account..
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar let me ask a friend of mine. She has done taxes for years and years and is very reasonable. I can see what we would need to do for the books end of things.

Comment

The vendors I worked with didn't care about the 501(C)3 status. Their individual "donations" where all below $100 and mostly involved items that would bring recipients back into their stores so it was a win-win for them.
                          Brian Flaherty

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
                            The vendors I worked with didn't care about the 501(C)3 status. Their individual "donations" where all below $100 and mostly involved items that would bring recipients back into their stores so it was a win-win for them.
                            At one time I was going to go for our 501(c)3 and try to give Boat related Vendors a one year free ad on our system providing they would give all the supporting members a 10% discount.

Problem with that, there was not enough of Me to go around. I needed help in doing that.

I think one of our biggest things that need worked on is the Events. We need more of them and also the idea of the give away items always helped in bringing more folks to the events.

Another part of the Events that I felt needed more work was things for the Family. Not just blasting around and taking pictures of each other, Which by the way is more than cool as well, but something like a nice park so the kids would have something to play on or be more involved with.
                            Getting pictures of what is available at the parks, possible food, cover, picnic benches, something for all involved.

Its a work in progress
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by 61_express View Post
                              Give it a try now, should be working.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                              X