Now for something totally different!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now for something totally different!

We have become in some cases subservient to our lack of what used to be called basic Marine skills.

One of these is the ability to make an eye splice. This is something that I learned 35 or so years ago at scout camp and was only marginally successful at. Today’s world you can buy multi-braid mooring linesfor between $25 and $40 depending on the diameter of the rope and other features. Since I had ancient memories of doing this in Scouts, I went down to the boating store and bought a handbook on splicing. Following reading of thebook and noticing that they had remnant pieces of 5/16 tri-braid nylon rope forsale at about half the normal price of pulling it off a large roll. (I think they wised up to me after a while and quit selling those 150 foot pieces socheap.)

After reading the book, I went back to the boat equipmentstore and purchased a blue fid, colored splicing tape, warping thread, and rope. I then set about making my own mooring lines. I found that while it took a while to get into the rhythm of the thing and made many splices that while sufficiently strong were not pretty. If you look at some of my mooring lines with an experienced splicers eye (and I’m slowly developing one) you will seethe almost humorous mistakes I made. To test the splice that I made, I hookedthe 5/16 rope with eye splices at both ends between a three-quarter ton pickupand a three axle dump truck. The pickup had quite a bit of difficulty inbreaking the rope which interestingly did not break in the splice. I was also able to splice eyes into my bumpers rather than use knots on the bumper lines.

For those of you looking for a fun boating activity, Isuggest splicing is one of those things that can be done at night after dark,and is really quite amusing.

eyespl2 005a.jpg

Here is an early example of one of my splices and while not pretty is more than adequate to hold onto the bumper. (Note splices tape on next one.) After taping I used butane lighter to melt rope ends. This by the way is what happens if you send two in the same path. It takes a little while to understand how to properly make the first three tucks.

I use 5/16 inch for bumper lines and 3/8 inch for mooring and anchor lines (lunch hook). Those looking for motivation will note that the professional at the boat show said he charges $20 and up per splice. While I would pay that if I were a sailboater looking to splice the main brace. (Yes, the expression is just not for those looking for a drink).

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Splicing rope is fun and good occupational therapy. I've been doing it most of my life, but not often enough to be good at it. My splices aren't always pretty. The first picture shows the ends of a mooring pennant, used for tying up to a buoy. The second is the splice I made to join two short pieces. Like a Chinese finger torture trick, the harder you pull, the tighter it gets.
    Attached Files

Comment

In my book, there are two kinds of splices. One is the kind that make you money by making functional lines at a vastly lesser price than buying them. The second type is a splice that not only is difficult to make but also doesn't really buy anything. Your line splice is a reasonably competent job, but I skipped that one because the splice wouldn't run through a pulley. I also jumped over a splice it was not for three part twisted braid. While more common in sailboats that kind of rope is in used much in powerboats. Your eye splices look really good. I use that style for my anchor line and hooking the chain to the rope (line).

Anybody else?
      Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
      16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
      17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Working...
      X