Bearcat, one thing leads to another!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat, one thing leads to another!

As I mentioned in my introduction I bought a Bearcat April 5th at the Portland swapmeet. Thought my boat that's been sitting unused for 16 yrs could use this.

I needed a place to mount it to see how it would run so I moved over the Johnson and stuck it on the boat.

The engine was stuck when I bought it and after freeing it up I proceeded with firing it up. While it sounded good but it has compression issues and as Bill Roberts informed me the engine was a 1970 but someone had replaced the block with an early Homelite. Enter Engine #2, I picked this one up April 19th, Also a 1970 with the correct F series block which is what I was after. This engine had been worked on about 4 yrs ago by Ed Ewing and had the Ed Ewing blue paint which I've been removing. Check out the wiring mess!

Wiring removed and working the paint removal.

Cleanup of the wiring and a few other items to repair, the block plate needed a new gasket.

When I bought engine #2 it came with a '61 shortshaft parts engine. This engine rolled through but #3 cylinder has a bad exhaust valve.

Engine #1 and #3 will eventually come apart to make one good engine. While #1 was on the boat I discovered another problem, my transom had rotted after all the years of sitting, CRAP! I really needed this.

After a few days of work, the new wood is installed, coated with West System Epoxy.

Transom completed!

Now back to the Bearcat, I'll mount it up Sunday, this will be engine #2 which seems to run good, has even compression in all four cylinders and has the Pertronix electronic ignition installed. I heard it run before I bought it and it seemed like it ran decent, also checked compression before handing over the cash. Yep I was just going to toss #1 Bearcat on the back and take the boat out, yeah, sure thing!!!

Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Now that your Hooked on Bearcats, don't forget those Honda's that you need to restore.
    I know your garage is full of those projects too.

I am in hopes that we can make it down to the Columbia River run and if so, you can boat right along side me Anytime!!!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The '67 CB450 was to be done in time to take to the Corvallis show last weekend, it's still on the lift untouched, I'm too involved with the boat now. Jr. has his study group today so that's going to delay mounting the Bearcat till this afternoon, I think I can stay busy with other items.

Hope you can make it down, I'll give you these exhaust pipes that have been waiting for you!
      Dick Johnson
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

You've got to love those wire nuts on an outboard engine
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

You replaced your transom in a couple days?! Get on over to my house

Nice work!

Comment

Well more than 2 days but if I had worked 8hrs a day on it, it was probably a 48hr job. The wood on these basicly just slips into a pocket.

Thanks for the compliment!
            Dick Johnson
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Bearcat is running!

Jr. and I lifted it onto the transom Sunday but too many loose ends to take care of and didn't make it for firing it off. Controls to mount, wiring, control cables to hookup and check for proper operation and maybe just a little burn out. Today I decided to remove the incorrectly timed flywheel and make it right. Now we're ready for startup. It wasn't cooperating, battery was having a hard time cranking then finally it fired, idle was to high and I had to shut it down. Cured that, started again, not easily, then went through some carb adjusting. After that I noticed a noise coming from the starter, the bushing was bad and it was touching the flywheel and it was also dragging which is why the battery was having trouble cranking it. Replaced it, solved that problem. Setup the timing light fired it again and set the timing, readjusted the carbs, it runs sweet! Starts right up now. Found one more blown gasket on the manifold to replace, need to check the charging system and more wiring to do. I'm almost there!

Dick
              Dick Johnson
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

your short shaft

When I bought engine #2 it came with a '61 shortshaft parts engine

Do you still have the short shaft leg and are you going to use it. I picked up a Bear Cat long shaft for my friends G3 and it has a short shaft transon. If your not going to use the short shaft leg I might be able to use it.
                Mike
                Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

re: Short Shaft

"If your not going to use the short shaft leg I might be able to use it."
                  Mike

I'm going to hang on to it for now.
                  Dick
                  Dick Johnson
                  '57 Evinrude 18hp
                  '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                  '72 Johnson 6hp
                  '65 Homelite 55
                  '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                  '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Ready for sea trials

The boat is ready, I passed the boaters ed exam today and tomorrow I'll get the boat registered. I'm ready to find out how I'll like the Bearcat, probably this weekend.

Dick Johnson
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

On the water

Monday was the day. My son and I took the boat up to the lake and everything went flawless. Only about 6 other boats out fishing so I had lots of room for some WOT runs without bothering anyone. I really like the Bearcat. I took the GPS along, the top speed was 27mph and trolling speed was 2mph. We were on the lake for an hr and spent most of the time idling along. No smoke, didn't die once, very smooth running. I'm glad I bought it. It appears I have one more issue yet to deal with. I'm having charging problems. It is charging through the yellow and black wire from the alternator but the gray wire seems to be dead.

Dick
                      Dick Johnson
                      '57 Evinrude 18hp
                      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                      '72 Johnson 6hp
                      '65 Homelite 55
                      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...