No announcement yet.

Best Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, got it. There is an adapter piece between the driveshaft and crankshaft and is also the sealing surface for the lower crank seal. When the lower unit is removed it usually stays in the engine. If it's not in place when you filled it this might be where your leak is. After the oil drained completely into the crankcase it would stop but is the engine it tipped from vertical oil would then be in the area of the seal and would leak again.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Thanks for reply, Is this the crankshaft coupling 15 on Fig. H27, pg.140, on that Condensed Service Data PDF file?. That would make sense I didn't realize that Gresham and Sandy were on my route down to Prineville you and Joe are neighbors. I haven't ran a compression check yet waiting for a drum role the motor when all cleaned up looks to be in pretty good shape. Just bought a shift handle on EBay. What do you think about the lower unit should I just keep working it or take it apart are seals and such hard to come by?.

Comment

Paul, Here's pictures:
        IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

Have you made sure the gearbox is in neutral and tried to turn it?
        Dick Johnson
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Yeah Dick that's on my driveshaft it has stopped leaking so I'm moving on to lower unit issue. Working on the lower end, rotating the unit has freed up in neutral, able to shift in forward and reverse had it fairly freed up in gear but now in gear it's hard to turn again. When in neutral, drive shaft still hard to turn so I suspect bearing clunked up flipping unit up side down to help lube bearing worth a try I beleive that's what originally loosed it up. Does going back and forth having drive shaft rotate opposite of true rotation of motor CCW effect the lower unit?. Thanks, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by frogpond View Post
            Does going back and forth having drive shaft rotate opposite of true rotation of motor CCW effect the lower unit?. Thanks, Paul
            It shouldn't do any harm, I would remove the impeller.
            Dick Johnson
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I didn't realize that Gresham and Sandy were on my route down to Prineville you and Joe are neighbors.
              Yep Joe and I been neighbors for the most part of 45yrs! I kept watching that ad for that engine, waiting for the ad to be deleted. You don't know how close I came to grabbing that one!

Here's a webpage I did on the lower unit a few years back.
              http://home.comcast.net/~273cl72/sit...t_Lower_Unit_/
              Dick Johnson
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Good God man how many do you need! ; ) Thanks for the link that's good info nicely done so I see your a fisherman you'll be happy to know I paid with Kenai sockeye fillets I caught with my daughter last July yum yum. I will keep you and everybody interested posted on my project. I'm going to work it a little drain the lube and fill with thin mixture to try to free it up. Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping I can free it up.
                Last edited by frogpond; 06-29-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Good God man how many do you need! ; ) Thanks for the link that's good info nicely done so I see your a fisherman you'll be happy to know I paid with Kenai sockeye fillets I caught with my daughter last July yum yum. I will keep you and everybody interested posted on my project. I'm going to work it a little drain the lube and fill with thin mixture to try to free it up. Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping I can free it up.
                  I'm not sure how many I need as I've become an addict! This guy was hanging out on my shoulder telling me and for once I listened! Yes I use mine mainly for fishing, trolling for hrs. This engine works excellent for my use.

I changed out my gearcase on my F block a few years ago and it was tight turning when it went back together but freed up after it was ran. Did you get any history from the PO about it's condition? I'll roll through the ones I have in the garage and see how they feel and let you know.
                  Dick Johnson
                  '57 Evinrude 18hp
                  '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                  '72 Johnson 6hp
                  '65 Homelite 55
                  '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                  '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Get Down to basics

Just couldn't wait so I took it apart, after punching shaft out the bottom I can see needle bearing are pretty clunked up that is the problem. To remove needle bearings, I punched out sleeve with brass punch, now do I remove seal from tapping from top it looks like the exploded view has it going out bottom. As far as history it came from somewhere close to Prineville a little farther South He bought a boat the motor came with it he didn't want to mess with it hasn't seen any Salt.http://www.classicboatclub.com/image...attach/jpg.gif
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X