How Difficult?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Difficult?

How hard would it be to do something like this only make the cover half with a little bit of open deck for fishing but make the cover or half cover more permanant and what kind of railing is that (what's it used for) and what is it called?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by timgoodwin; 06-20-2015, 05:15 AM.
    Just Be!

Originally posted by timgoodwin View Post
    How hard would it be to do something like this only make the cover half with a little bit of open deck for fishing but make the cover or half cover more permanant and what kind of railing is that (what's it used for) and what is it called?
    We have a boat top maker down in Sandy Oregon that draws customers from even up in Bellingham. This person can come up with some pretty darn good designs, he would sketch it out as so you could see what your going to get.
    I know there has to be folks around you that can do the same thing.

As far as the front of that boat, it looks as the fellow was inspired by the bow of some of the sailing boats. Not my thing but the bow railing (only thing I have ever called them) is a little bit much but hey, Not my boat. He was pretty good with wood as he built his own helm windshield too. Personally, it looks out of place and I think it lessens the value of the boat. Kind of over done but Hey, not my boat.
    The railing as far as I know is to give you some support as not to go over board, something to hang onto.
    You can't tie to it for anchoring or docking but you can hang your bumpers from them.
    Look at some of the other boat designs and you will see all kinds of different Grab Railing on them.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

That bow rail looks to be a take-off from a much larger boat. Definitely overkill for a 19 or 20 foot boat. The rail is there to keep you from falling overboard when up there for anchoring, docking, etc... On a big boat you could fish from up there when the boat is stopped, but on a boat this small, there isn't really a good way to even get up there.

As for the canvas top, almost any canvas shop can custom build you whatever you want, it's all about how much you want to spend!
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

The extension on the bow is a bow pulpit and serves to keep the anchor from banging against the bow when setting or retreiving in rough water. The railing may seem like overkill for such a small boat, however, if one does extensive cruising, in the Inside Passage for example, anchoring is the most important and demanding thing you will do. As the experts say, cruising up there is all about anchoring. Humans being the size that they are, this small boat owner is more concerned with safety than being stylish.

Comment

I think he is asking about the canopy?
          I've seen plenty of half width canopies out there. I'm sure you can have one made. My plan on the 404 is do to the same (some day).
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

He also asked about the railing. The reason it is so big is because of the pulpit addition.

Comment

Originally posted by timgoodwin View Post
              How hard would it be to do something like this only make the cover half with a little bit of open deck for fishing but make the cover or half cover more permanent and what kind of railing is that (what's it used for) and what is it called?
              I saw a Skagit with a really cool cabin ext. I like made as a solid piece. That's my idea. To extend as a solid piece of fiberglass. Here is a picture of what I want to do. What do you think and can I do the job myself even if I don't really have the experience? (Can I create the cabin then fiberglass over the plywood frame? How would I attach it if I did?) Does anyone know who's this boat is? Will it make my boat to top heavy ya think?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by timgoodwin; 06-28-2015, 04:16 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff.
              Just Be!

Comment

Here is the top, originally - http://www.solution-remarketing.com/...ew%20owner.jpg

It was stripped and then lengthened by splitting, gluing a thin plywood form to the underside, and laminating over it. The wood was later removed. It weighed then 50lbs. I am now thinning/ reducing height to get it to 30lbs and less obtrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Skagit Hideaway View Post
                  Here is the top, originally - http://www.solution-remarketing.com/...ew%20owner.jpg

It was stripped and then lengthened by splitting, gluing a thin plywood form to the underside, and laminating over it. The wood was later removed. It weighed then 50lbs. I am now thinning/ reducing height to get it to 30lbs and less obtrusive.
                  So then it would not make me top heavy? I don't care about the resale value, I just want what I like and that is to have something that is more under cover and permanent. I guess I don't get it. So, what is meant by splitting?
                  Just Be!

Comment

Splitting - cutting the original end of the top off.

Weight is always a factor. One should know where the boat's centers of gravity and bouyancy are. Other weighty items (batteries, fuel tanks, etc., can be situated to compensate for the roof/cabin weight. Design aspects always involve compromise.

Comment

Dorsett with roof/cabin and extension

http://www.classicboatclub.com/album...chmentid=13472

Comment

Actually, we spoke to the owner of this boat. He says it is a 1972 and he's confident the cabin is factory! Someone has added the hull extensions to the transom to help support the Chevy 350 V8 that is powering her! And it's for sale!!! Didn't get a name of number but it's easily visible from the water on the Snohomish River (technically the boat is on south end of Steamboat Slough).
                        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
                          X