Accidentally back into old outboards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally back into old outboards

After wrecking another prop the only time I tried to take my boat out this year (tied to dock near rocky shore. Tried to back out and wind blew me into rocks), I have decided to give up on real boating. My oldest son, figuring I need to have something to do, brought me up a 12 foot Mirrocraft aluminum boat along with five old outboards. (One of the outboards was a nice old Evinrude Sports Twin that I sold to him years ago and it is now frozen up.) The one I have greatest hopes for is an old black Mercury 3.9 from the 60s, I believe. It isn't frozen but much of the time I can't budge it by pulling the starter rope and yes, it is in neutral. It can be turned over by hand but acts like it has a couple hundred psi compression it is so stiff. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Also, got back a 1947 Firestone that I sold to a friend in good working order several years ago. He put it in a shed and told me it doesn't run. I'm not sure what my warranty is but it is almost simple enough that I can work on it. Got the 3 hp SeaBee going and the 9.9 Gamefisher firing up on WD40 but not running off the tank of fresh gas at 24 to 1. So, that's what I've been up to besides being crippled up with arthritis and having recent surgery in both eyes for cataracts and glaucoma. Nice to be able to see the screen again and touch base a bit. BTW, I think I must be suffering a bit from Oldtimers disease. Don't know how to update my profile and can't find your private message Helmar.
    For those who don't recall who Lootas1 is, I'm Jerry McRorie up on Lummi Island and used to own Rosario after Chuck fixed it up real nice.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Jerry glad to see you're still kicking around and playing with old boat stuff!! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate wind-induced mishap... While it may be time to give up "real boating" I am believer that one can always go boating as long as you have a pulse and get into the boat!! Perhaps it's just time to train a crew to support your boating habit?

If it is indeed time to give up the big boats, just remember you're always welcome at our events and we'll make sure to get you a seat so you can still enjoy boating!!!

As for the outboards... I would spray all the cylinders with penetrating oil and let them sit for a few days then try again. The ones that will run on spray but not tanks, probably need fuel pumps as the diaphams dry out very quickly in storage.
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Thanks Brian. My last boat is setting down at Clearwater Marine to be sold on commission. I think I still can handle the 12 foot aluminum boat with a small outboard reasonably safely. Do have friends that takes Becky and me out with them. While not a whole lot younger than I, he is still in good shape to handle his boat. When I get over the eye surgery and can see, I'll take a look at the fuel pump. My son dropped off a spare carb for it which he bought on eBay. Haven't been able to see enough to really get into it. I always start with some fresh fuel and sometimes I get lucky and that's all it needs. Once I get the 3.9 Merc or maybe the 9.9 Gamefisher going good, I'll go after some crabs if the season is still open!
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Good to hear from you Jerry.
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
        X