59 Skagit Offshore 20ft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Skagit Offshore 20ft

Well, I had my boats hidden in Sandy but lost my park-in-hide so I have to move them.
    The plan is once I get back onto Eds 21 Bell Boy and up to speed, I hope to work on my Skagit little by little.
    Game plan, put together several events in the Columbia River, one using the 20 Skagit and going from Portland to Astoria and back.
    The other one will be a event to go from St Johns up to the Oregon City Falls.

But, for now, a few issues.
    As you can see my 20 is just setting along side the road and broke down. The saltwater got into the bearings and destroyed All of them. I also had so much saltwater rust that it destroyed the brakes as well.

Right were its parked in the picture, my Son had to go back to the farm were they were parked and retrieve the floor jack.. I also seen that the walking beams between the axle springs were also rusted Solid so there will be a fair amount of work on the trailer to get her back in shape. It used to have a extendable tongue on it were I could use the little Motorhome to back her into the water. That is now fused by the saltwater rust.

So, back up to Sandy and now working on getting the Super heavy duty bearings replaced. Those axles are Way over rated for the boat.....
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Well that sucks! Looks like you didn't get too far, Eagle Creek? I guess that's the only "good" thing about this.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster View Post
      Well that sucks! Looks like you didn't get too far, Eagle Creek? I guess that's the only "good" thing about this.

Yep, 211 and 224 I think. It was smoking as Joejr was going down the hill and he pulled right over as he could see it in the mirrors he said.
      There were even big gaping holes in the backing plates. Once I pulled that one wheel off, I told Joejr, we are done and have to go back as they are all going to be like this.
      Lots of work on this trailer to get her back in shape and I will also lower the boat in the frame as she will fit between the fenders after lowing her down.
      That will make it easy to launch as to float her now, the fenders have to be under water.

I didn't get my spare engine but did get a spare outdrive in the move.

It will be easy to put her back into shape, just time is all. I have everything I need...
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

It would be cool to see this one back on the water!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
          It would be cool to see this one back on the water!
          Its been several years now, no, since 2011. Three since I had her last running.

First time out with it was in the Columbia River. Went up to the first dam and back down as it was getting dark. All the lights were worked and even the docking lights in the bow. I used them like headlights.

The next trip was the Skagit 50th were we left from Port Townsend, up through Deception Pass to LaConnor were the skagit was built, and down and around Whidbey Island back up to Port Townsend. Stayed the night in Oak Harbor.
          I filled boat tanks, ran hard up to LaConner and down to Oak Harbor, then dropped her back to about 18mph all the way down and back.
          She has the stock tanks and you would check it with a yard stick and it looked as I still had at least 9 gallons of fuel on board.

After that started out to the San Juans and she started having issues, fought those, pump issues, over heating and all that crap.

Then with John Nelsons help, we put on a different head, rebuilt the exhaust that was starting to go, we took it from Quilcene bay down to Potlatch and back up with Zero problems.
          Then she sat again unfinished.

So now, with Cindys help, we will get it cleaned up and ready again. Looking forward to that as she is big enough that you can sleep very comfortable in it.

I think I have some images of the insides and a few others.
          Its going to be nice to get her back in the water.
          Attached Files
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
          X