New member, old boat, dead dreams.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, old boat, dead dreams.

Hi folks. My name is Shaun. I'm here because I have a beautiful old boat I cannot work on, and I am looking a new home for her. She's a 1960 Skagit 21' Express (20' model, licensed as a 21'), sitting on a 1978 EZLoader trailer. To be very honest, she is a bare-hull restoration project. The engine was seized and unrecoverable, the transmission is gone, but prop, shaft, rudder, and steering gear is all there. The trailer is all there, but needs the rollers adjusted to fit this boat. It used to hold a Bayliner Nisqually 2350 Command Bridge, so the size difference is significant.

There's lots of stuff that comes with her, some of it brand new and never even taken out of the package it came in. I am happy to give details as requested.

I can no longer do the work to rebuild her. I've got 7 inches of metal and plastic in my low back now, and the head-down a**-up work she needs is beyond my ability now. This was "the dream of a life-time" project for me. I am less concerned with how much money I have into her than I am in finding someone that appreciates her.

My price is low... four 6-volt golf cart batteries. From my local auto-parts store they are $150 a copy. That's $600, or four new-off-the-shelf batteries in your truck bed when you get here. There's more than that in goodies that come with her, to say nothing of the teak and stainless steel.

I walk out and see this boat every blasted day, and it just tears at me. Someone PLEASE take this boat and give her a good home.

Originally posted by Shaun Olinger View Post
    Hi folks. My name is Shaun. I'm here because I have a beautiful old boat I cannot work on, and I am looking a new home for her. She's a 1960 Skagit 21' Express (20' model, licensed as a 21'), sitting on a 1978 EZLoader trailer. To be very honest, she is a bare-hull restoration project. The engine was seized and unrecoverable, the transmission is gone, but prop, shaft, rudder, and steering gear is all there. The trailer is all there, but needs the rollers adjusted to fit this boat. It used to hold a Bayliner Nisqually 2350 Command Bridge, so the size difference is significant.

There's lots of stuff that comes with her, some of it brand new and never even taken out of the package it came in. I am happy to give details as requested.

I can no longer do the work to rebuild her. I've got 7 inches of metal and plastic in my low back now, and the head-down a**-up work she needs is beyond my ability now. This was "the dream of a life-time" project for me. I am less concerned with how much money I have into her than I am in finding someone that appreciates her.

My price is low... four 6-volt golf cart batteries. From my local auto-parts store they are $150 a copy. That's $600, or four new-off-the-shelf batteries in your truck bed when you get here. There's more than that in goodies that come with her, to say nothing of the teak and stainless steel.

I walk out and see this boat every blasted day, and it just tears at me. Someone PLEASE take this boat and give her a good home.
    Welcome Shaun.

I am hoping you have some pictures to share as that will help people see what you have.
    Sorry to here about your health issues and I am hoping we can find someone that can and will restore her.

Let us know if you need help posting them too.

Here is a picture of mine which is a offshore 1959 20 footer.
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

BEAUTIFUL boat Helmar! With an I/O though?!? Custom, or stock? I didn't think they made these with I/Os. I've always liked full-inboard myself... which is what "Dream Gift" is. Pics to follow. Thanks. Forgot them last night.

Comment

We'd intended to make this a medium range cruiser/camper boat for the three of us, so I used some of the parts off of a 1978 Nisqually 2350 Command Bridge to enhance engine room cooling and allow for a generator under the aft deck. I also added the trim tabs off that boat, and I have the pump and, I think, the wiring harness too. The rails laying over the aft deck in pic 4 are stainless steel rails off the Bayliner and another boat we salvaged for these rails. I was going to install rails fore and aft so my 3 year old has something to hang onto, and so my Admiral doesn't BECOME the anchor when she went forward to DROP the anchor. Given that we are not fair-weather cruisers, I added larger cleats and fair-leads for anchoring in rough weather, and I bought a 13 pound Fortress with 200 feet of rode. There's ALL KINDS of stuff indie her right now. Radios, pumps, antenna, switch panels, wiring harness (off the Bayliner Nisqually), new instrument panel that was more comfortable for my back to reach, etc. There's a more modern rack and pinion steering system in there, as well as the original gear, still attached to the rudder. I have the old insrument panel, toilet (I think), and possibly still have the sink, but when I took it all out I was going to refit to modern gear. I was not restoring this. I was refitting it to modern gear in a beautiful old hull. I did not do anything that cannot be undone. The only alterations to her exterior are the engine room vents. There's two on the transom, with 4 new blowers I might add, and one P&S just aft of the cabin on the deck skirt.

Comment

Appears to be a 1957 20 express with 1958 side adjustable windows on cabin. Very cool lines to these, and quite neat to see an inboard with useful stern trim tabs.
          One 1957 owned by Rod Frisell was last stored south of Puyallup, great sounding Chrysler Marine inline 6 cyl. Haven't seen that smooth running one in 10 years....
          Sounds like you have some great plans, Shaun, thinking maybe of fixing and running it, now ?
          bruceb

Comment

BEAUTIFUL boat Helmar! With an I/O though?!? Custom, or stock? I didn't think they made these with I/Os. I've always liked full-inboard myself... which is what "Dream Gift" is. Pics to follow. Thanks. Forgot them last night.
            Yes on the outdrive and engine. It looks as it was built that way as it has one of the first Volvo Penta outdrives which were almost bullet proof.
            The engine is a Volvo B18 with dual webers on it.

I will post some of the pictures of the inside as that little motor is right up against the transom.

Its not uncommon for those boats to be titled wrong and I know Bruce knows his stuff on those. I would have tagged it 1958 or 57 myself. I honestly don't know the difference between 57 and 58.
            I do know the 1959's and 60's were almost identical.
            Attached Files
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

No Bruce. I'm here because I have a beautiful old boat I cannot work on, and I am looking for a new home for her. I've got 7 inches of metal and plastic in my low back now, and the head-down a**-up work she needs is beyond my ability now. This was "the dream of a life-time" project for me. I am less concerned with how much money I have into her than I am in finding someone that appreciates her.

Last edited by Shaun Olinger; 10-02-2015, 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You know all those pictures do is make me want to cry, right Helmar? BEAUTIFUL. Thank you.

Comment

You know all those pictures do is make me want to cry, right Helmar? BEAUTIFUL. Thank you.
                  I have bad arthritis in my lower back, three disks needed to be fused but they could not do it. Sent me to OSHU in Portland and the laser man went in and killed three of the nerves that were keeping me on pain meds (2 at night just to get though 5 hours of sleep).
                  Now I can get around and been working on a restoration for one of our friends.
                  I do have limited movement but still can do the work....

I figure I can do maybe 4 more restorations
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

In looking at this boat, its reminding me of some of the others that I have seen.
                    Myself not really liking how much room the inboards took up (Mike and Judy has or had one) opens up other options.

The nice thing is, she has been Demo'ed down to ready to start replacing the wood.

Now, this just Me thinking what I would do with her.
                    Due to the cost of the inboards with transmissions, the amount of space all that takes, I would convert her to a I/O.

I can tell you that a little 4 banger Volvo B-18 will shove one of these around at least 28mph as mine can do that with all that Oak cabinetry and tuck and roll upholstery in it.

So, if this was me, I would be looking for a later model Donor boat to pull the engine and outdrive from plus rob what else I could off the boat.

I Also have a 17 Skagit that had a OMC I/O in it and then of course, there is always the mounting off the rear of the boat and open that whole area up for seating, fishing, crab traps, whatever.

I see the helm windshield frame is broken, easy fix. I Think I see one of the pictures that showed the helm windshields....Are they broken too?

I will dig up a couple of pictures of the possibilities for her as I can't tell you enough times. They only made a certain amount of these folks and once they are Gone, that's it GONE.
                    This is a classic boat and I can also tell you that the cost of a New boat with a new engine will cost you WAY more than a Classic restored one.

Something else to think about.
                    Once these old girls come out of the shop, its not like taking a new boat out of the show room were they drop in value before you even get it home, these only Increase in value.
                    Attached Files
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I am having trouble getting the pics off my cell phone, but I will list what I have and get pics with my camera tomorrow. This is JUST the new stuff... either "never-been-out-of-the-box" new, or taken-out, looked-at, and-put-back" new.

1x MRV heavy duty marine wiper motor (2 more older ones that were still serviceable when they were removed 5 years ago).
                      1x ICOM compact marine VHF w/one-button distress calling
                      1x ICOM full-function command mic
                      1x Shakspeare 8' fiberglass VHF antenna (sorry, no mount. Forgot to get one.)
                      1x Marine speedometer kit (water probe style.)
                      2x adjustable marine wiper arms, 14-22 inches
                      2x 16" marine wiper blades
                      1x Rule 1500 gph bilge pump
                      1x Rule no-mercury float switch
                      1x Rule 3-position pump control switch
                      1x 13lb Fortress anchor w/10' chain/200' rode

There's a LOT more that's used/salvaged from other boats. What I have listed here is worth more than what I'm asking for. PLEASE, SOMEONE take this boat. I MUST get rid of it. The house is going on the market, the fifth-wheel is almost done, and we are LEAVING. If it doesn't sell, it's gonna go back down in the hole and get covered in berry vines again for ANOTHER 30+ years. There were what... 300 of this particular model built? $600 is not a bad price when you get the boat and trailer for FREE. I can't use the stuff in it. It's all a damned heart-ache to me now. I grew up on sailboats. Live-aboards. This boat was going to be what we cruised the Sound and rivers on. If you want an I/O engine for it, I have a 1978 Mercury 305/228hp engine sitting in Oregon you can have for a bit more. The cylinders have been poured full of oil years ago, and I turned it over with a screwdriver 6 months ago. Fresh-water cooled no less. Heat exchanger on it. Needs all hoses and gaskets replaced, carb rebuilt... normal stuff. The boat it was in was junk, the out-drive was shot, and I was going to put this engine in the Skagit until I realized just how HUGE it was in this smaller boat. Call it $250 for the engine. It's $4,000+ new. Placed in an I/O position, rather than a full-inboard position, it might just be a LOAD of fun! You could even V-drive it and use the shaft and prop that's in this thing.

Thank you Helmar for the input. Pics will go up tomorrow, of the new stuff, and the salvaged stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                        I see the helm windshield frame is broken, easy fix. I Think I see one of the pictures that showed the helm windshields....Are they broken too?
                        No, the windshields are intact. So are the rubber seals. One side is glass, the other is Plexiglas, but both are intact and in the boat.

Comment

Goatscrazram@yahoo.com 503-369-0981 Call or E-mail if you are interested. The engine can go alone, but the stuff goes with the boat, package deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                            Due to the cost of the inboards with transmissions, the amount of space all that takes, I would convert her to a I/O.
                            I found a stock Graymarine engine with transmission for $1,400. Used to be a video on YouTube. They are out there. Just depends on what you want.

Comment

Working...
                            X