HELP needed to identify my barn find DORSETT boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP needed to identify my barn find DORSETT boat

hi, im new here and like to find any advice on my newest find, i used to restore classic cars, now i want to do the same on this super nice boat i found

im cesar from arizona and found this boat a week ago, bought it on the spot and now want to know the model/year and also if possible someone share a brochure of it from the correct year/model to have ideas how used to look original and restore it accordingly

boat its being in arizona for a while i think so its solid and almost complete (no motor) but everything esle seems to be there

im planning to clean it, sand it, do any repairs needed, paint it two tone, do any upolsthery work as needed, and electrical work also

its missing the seats and engine, i found a jhonson 50HP outboard engine two stroke in good shape and also the price sounds right for it

thanks for looking and for your help

cesar
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cesar2016; 01-07-2016, 01:18 PM.

Originally posted by cesar2016 View Post
    hi, im new here and like to find any advice on my newest find, i used to restore classic cars, now i want to do the same on this super nice boat i found

im cesar from arizona and found this boat a week ago, bought it on the spot and now want to know the model/year and also if possible someone share a brochure of it from the correct year/model to have ideas how used to look original and restore it accordingly

boat its being in arizona for a while i think so its solid and almost complete (no motor) but everything esle seems to be there

im planning to clean it, sand it, do any repairs needed, paint it two tone, do any upolsthery work as needed, and electrical work also

its missing the seats and engine, i found a jhonson 50HP outboard engine two stroke in good shape and also the price sounds right for it

thanks for looking and for your help

cesar
    Hi Cesar and welcome to the forums.

Not sure of the length but she is looking like a Dorsett Catalina, but not sure what the year might be. I have one that is a 1961 and I am thinking they look a little different unless yours has been modified in some ways.
    I see were they took her from a short shaft transom to a long shaft. Mine is the short shaft.

Lets see if I can dig up some pictures of mine to share.
    Those boats were built in the Bay area and designed for the Chop in the bay. Best riding hull you will find too. Look at the cut of the bow and how low the keel is right about at the bridge windshield. She is designed to cut deep into the water.
    I have Skagits, a Bell Boy and Uniflite and they all ride like a bard door with a motor on the back. Still good looking and those designs were created up by the Canadian boarder
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

hi good morning thanks for your response and pictures, you are right i think its being modified in some ways, the side sliding window has a curve on it and i seen other boats either with a more straight shape windows same size of mine or same curved window but longer one, i found a jhonson motor two stroke 50HP outboard yesterday, do you think will be enough power to move her?

im planing to use her on the sea of cortez mexico (rocky point are) for day trips only

any idea where could i find some seats?

thanks for you advice

cesar

Comment

50 to 70hp would be good. I think 1978 or newer will get you the better cd 2 ignition. Both motors can run out of gas at full throttle for a number of reasons and burn pistons. They are both nice motors if you can keep from running them taped.

Comment

Working...
        X