Cleaning guage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning guage

I would like to remove the main gauge on Arthur, our 25 ft Skagit, so that I can clean the glass. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this task? I'm thinking that there must be a special tool to remove the flange?

Thanks,

Karl
    Attached Files
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Typically there should be one or two retaining clips on the backside that hold the entire gauge into the dash... Once those are removed it is a matter of determining of it is a style that unscrews or is it like my Chris-Craft gauges where the chrome beauty ring is actually crimped on all the way around the edge and has to be very delicately uncrimped in order to get to the glass!

My suggestion would be a phone to Mike Clawson at Clawson Instruments (http://www.markclawson.com) he did a presentation at the April ACBS garage tour and was very open about advising folks on how to do things themselves and also, what things are best left to the professional... The interceptor gauge was common in the late 50's so I bet he's rebuilt a few..
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Thank you!
      17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
      18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
      19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
      25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
      14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
      14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
        Typically there should be one or two retaining clips on the backside that hold the entire gauge into the dash... Once those are removed it is a matter of determining of it is a style that unscrews or is it like my Chris-Craft gauges where the chrome beauty ring is actually crimped on all the way around the edge and has to be very delicately uncrimped in order to get to the glass!

My suggestion would be a phone to Mike Clawson at Clawson Instruments (http://www.markclawson.com) he did a presentation at the April ACBS garage tour and was very open about advising folks on how to do things themselves and also, what things are best left to the professional... The interceptor gauge was common in the late 50's so I bet he's rebuilt a few..

I am also interested in how you can get that glass off without breaking it or messing up that ring.
        I used to take my stuff to a place in Portland but now being down here in Eugene (Veneta really) I don't know of anyone that can do that.

They must make some sort of snap ring like tool that you can work Very slowly to get that beauty ring off. Once that is off, you got it all in front of you to work with.
        I know it can be done but, Anyone, Anyone ever do this with success?
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X