17ft express crusier uniflite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stainless seel steel transom cover

plan to make a finish transom metal top cover 44.5 inchs long to cover the area between the glass splash well and the back of the boat glass...acts as a cover top pice ( SEE PICTURE )
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mike pingatore View Post
      plan to make a finish transom metal top cover 44.5 inchs long to cover the area between the glass splash well and the back of the boat glass...acts as a cover top pice ( SEE PICTURE )
      That will make it look even nicer. I mounted a kicker bracket on mine due to me being out alone with no one for the buddy system for that, just in case something happens to the main engine.

Looking real good Mike !!
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looking good.
        More than one way to skin a cat they would say.
        When I do the transoms, I do it in a lay up one at a time with the plywood.
        Seal both sides, glass on the inside of the transom fiberglass, then glass the first layer that goes on.
        I would reverse jack it from across the cabin bulkhead or off the stringers with a board screwed down to them.
        Then I would just use those screws that had the big washer heads on them and just drill it though the back of the boat though the fiberglass into the first layer of wood.
        Once the first one was in and kicked, I would then remove the screws, mix up the West System epoxy resin with the West System microlight fairing filler to almost a thick peanut butter thickness and fill the holes with that.

That is of course knowing I was painting the boat.

You have no need to paint so I like what you did

If you have were you can thicken up some epoxy resin, you could fill those larger holes I see taped over.

I have used that microlight faring filler with the Fiberglass resin but had to mix it with a longer bucket life but the epoxy does the same thing.
        I still use the West System epoxy and hardener with the pumps as it gives me the proper mix pump for pump.

I have an account with Fiberlay in Portland for just about everything I need as I really like that product and use the laminating resin for pretty much everything.

The sad part, I like working on them more than using them....Real sick person I know
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

great iam geting a honda kicker so ill be duing the same mike p

Comment

Looks great no more rotten transom for that boat. When you hang the motor look down the keel and see if you can get enough trim. You might be able to use a tapered shim between the transom and motor before you bolt it on. My bracket is 1.5 further out on the top than bottom. I have an 18 gal fuel tank under bow deck to help keep the bow down. Anyway keep your loading options open till you've had some sea trials.

Comment

thanks john,,,,,, for the info i need all i can get ,,,,,,,, I have a monster runner 1971 80 hp merc ( SEE PICTURE )dscn1386[1].jpg
              Last edited by mike pingatore; 05-20-2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

New style transom bung hole

greetings i went with the screw in TRANSOM plug type and larger opening splash well drain TUNNEL holes takes a special tool to install the brass tunnel drain holes to make it flair out on both sines of the transom ( SEE PICTURES)
                Attached Files

Comment

Completed transom curtin wall

well its comming to a finsh,,,,try to match the stringie splatter black paint over the white black base coat and installed the transom support stiffner pipe ( SEE PICTURES )need to drill holes for the curtain board and install the wood screws,,,,, also now ill have to repaint the complete interior to match because it old and yellow colored
                  Attached Files

Comment

The motor is about the right size. I looked at a mercury bracket like yours, It had about one hole more of tilt down than my evinrude and no reasonable way to make it go further. The clamps might only let you shim .5 You want to get the cavitation plate at least parallel with bottom. The boat has a nice sharp bow, it can be a challenge keeping it down enough to cut.

Comment

john ,,,, when i rehang the motor ill cheek to see that its right and shim it if i have to or ill stack 50lbs sand bags in the bow to keep the nose dowm,,, L O L <<<<< thanks for the heads up mike p
                      Last edited by mike pingatore; 05-23-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike pingatore View Post
                        well its comming to a finsh,,,,try to match the stringie splatter black paint over the white black base coat and installed the transom support stiffner pipe ( SEE PICTURES ) now ill have to repaint the complete interior to match because it old and yellow colored
                        Boy, you are sure hammer down on that project. Looken good too.

Spent most of the day here horsing around with the system, how the threads show in order, that kind of stuff. Tweaking I guess you might call it.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

helmar,,,got a few things to rap up like re installing the aluminum rub rail,,,,,just found new 1/4 20 T BOLTS for it ......also need 2 new mueller red 6 gal fuel tanks and a battery box ect,,,,,cuting off the old battery cables and makeing new ones going with the old cable steering my remake folding seat project ie finished too ( they look great )....hopeing to be in lake washington in june,,,,mike p

Comment

Looks good Mike. Nice work.
                            Where did you get the T bolts?
                            (don't call me tonight...)

Comment

I like the new fittings. Where did you get them and what tool did you use?

BTW, you should put all of this under one thread for us to follow...makes it easier to follow (that may just be me though).

Comment

Working...
                              X