No announcement yet.

Just bought a '58 Skagit 20 Express...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce I'd like the info on the guy that remakes the Skagit ID plates. This is all I found on mine:

I know it's not original, but I wonder what it was put there for?
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh and I also noticed the original gelcoat colors on this boat are the opposite of Bruce's colors...see pics.

Window frames are dark and the cabin is the light color. Kinda cool if I could strip all of this paint and find some good gelcoat! Any ideas to strip the paint without harming the gelcoat?
      Attached Files

Comment

Kelly-
        Going to guess the plate you found may not have to do with a Skagit build plate, never seen one like that before. As for the color combo under the surface on your boat, have found other "mystery boats" with similar paint/gelcoat. There's this one 20 express we found near La Conner with a red/burgundy under white on the hull,(almost looks like a primer) with white gunwales and light blue cabin top. Inside, has an identical scheme as my cabin with gray paint and burgundy gel coated trim panel wrapping below windows. Clint Strobel has a 20 express that looks like the factory painted over the original colors with gel coat. Over time, owners change colors on these for numerous reasons, saw a friend's boat's colors, wanted to match a towing vehicle, or perhaps some other reason..
        Then I'm attaching this cool 57 17 express from Tacoma that is a color scheme (original gelcoat) similar to what you've found on yours- gives you a nice idea of what it might look like, I like it.....first two pics- same boat ! Last pic- Tacoma boat
        Finally, only way I might do that removal is very careful sanding to remove outer layer, very time consuming, boring work ! then more time consuming use of graduated paper to polish it up to final gloss. Using Brian's process, super great write up, there.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
          Oh and I also noticed the original gelcoat colors on this boat are the opposite of Bruce's colors...see pics.

Window frames are dark and the cabin is the light color. Kinda cool if I could strip all of this paint and find some good gelcoat! Any ideas to strip the paint without harming the gelcoat?
          Tim Jones AKA McSkagit, had found a product that would remove the paint but not the gel coat but I forget what it was called. I know he used it on his Skagit Tender (Dingy) that he found.
          I even used it and remember it was pretty skookum, not toxic like some of the stuff that would burn the hair out of your nose.

I am looking for the name of it as I am not sure how to get a hold of Tim now.

I have seen some that would take them down to the gel coat and then use the gel coat patching for the little hull boo boo's that are normally found due to beaching the boats.

Bruce's boat is the original gel coat and the Only one I have ever seen that color. Pretty sure he holds the title for the color scheme and being stock. Real jewel for sure.
          Hell, at one time I had a picture of his Skagit as my screen saver ;-)
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Here's the stuff I used on the Seafair. Works okay. Just not a fun job removing old paint no matter how you do it.

http://www.citristrip.com/
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I'll reach out to Tim.
              Thanks Steve, it looks like I can buy that at Lowe's.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel View Post
                Here's the stuff I used on the Seafair. Works okay. Just not a fun job removing old paint no matter how you do it.

http://www.citristrip.com/
                That sounds like what I used too....

Good to see you in here Steve !
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Helmar. I'm always checking and following the forum. I will chime in when I have something worth while to offer. I'm still eye balling the old glassics whenever I see one. For some reason most boats I see here in Central Oregon are priced at three times their value. Must have something to do with the thin air (4300 ft). Just seen a P14 for $3000.00 today. Yikes!!!!
                  Steve Kiesel
                  1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Steve, that's excellent news for the rest of us!! Thanks to ACBS revising their "classic" standards and many reputable vintage/classic boat dealers across the country starting to push classic glass boats, our boat values are finally starting to go up!! We need the value of restored glassics to get up to where it becomes financially equitable to restore these old boats. We are still at a point where most folks look at their old glassic and decide to chainsaw it rather than restore cause they aren't worth enough to come anywhere near breaking even... Now an unrestored/neglected P-14 for 3k is nuts but if it's been well cared for and totally usable than why not ask 3k??
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
                      Kelly-
                      Going to guess the plate you found may not have to do with a Skagit build plate, never seen one like that before. As for the color combo under the surface on your boat, have found other "mystery boats" with similar paint/gelcoat. There's this one 20 express we found near La Conner with a red/burgundy under white on the hull,(almost looks like a primer) with white gunwales and light blue cabin top. Inside, has an identical scheme as my cabin with gray paint and burgundy gel coated trim panel wrapping below windows. Clint Strobel has a 20 express that looks like the factory painted over the original colors with gel coat. Over time, owners change colors on these for numerous reasons, saw a friend's boat's colors, wanted to match a towing vehicle, or perhaps some other reason..
                      Then I'm attaching this cool 57 17 express from Tacoma that is a color scheme (original gelcoat) similar to what you've found on yours- gives you a nice idea of what it might look like, I like it.....first two pics- same boat ! Last pic- Tacoma boat
                      Finally, only way I might do that removal is very careful sanding to remove outer layer, very time consuming, boring work ! then more time consuming use of graduated paper to polish it up to final gloss. Using Brian's process, super great write up, there.
                      It's definitely gel coat and more maroon than red. I've looked at the bottom of the hull and it's showing several signs of maroon as well.
                      Hope to strip it down soon.

Comment

While on a mini vacation I "just happened" to find this little fresh water only gem and picked it up for a song and dance. I'll admit though, I can't sing or dance but I got a great deal on it!

Might have to see how it looks on the Skagit.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kelly-
                          Cool, burgundy....the factory did a lot of experimenting, and if it's burgundy, I might be able to guess why it was ultimately changed. The gelcoat material of certain colors does oxidize. My burgundy is only decent looking for two days before it's noticeably faded, and that's using a marine quality carnaba wax.
                          Maybe Brian or John have experience with gelcoat covered by a clear gloss polyurethane with beefed up UV protection ? Does that work ? Otherwise time and effort would be saved by covering gelcoat with burgundy marine paint.
                          Ohhh, yeah, that's a real nice bow light and flag staff !!!
                          Last edited by bruceb; 07-11-2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I wonder if this boat is burgundy? If so, I wonder if I possess this very boat? Tim how about some photoshop
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kelly-
                              The man standing next to the boat is Cole Cummings, sales manager for Skagit. His son Cole jr still lives in Anacortes. Checked your earlier pics of the boat, built-in fuel tanks like this boat in pic. Express model same as yours. The gunwale is the darker color like yours, all the areas match with the scheme of your boat. Then consider the shade of the gelcoat in the b&w picture- lighter than black. Could be red or burgundy. Some might see a deep shade of blue. BINGO -My guess is you might just have that boat !!! Neat that you've connected that all up ! The pressure is on- make it like it came from the factory, Kelly....

Comment

So, challenge accepted...for now. Yesterday I gave it a go with the Citristip and started on the easy part aka the part that didn't look like too much effort to remove while standing comfortably. After experimenting with how long to leave the stuff on, I've realized it's like making a pancake. When the "bubbles" appear on the surface, it's ready to remove. On this particular paint, that is a minimum of 1 hour and that's removing two coats of paint that were painted on 20 years apart. As of now, I'm happy with what I'm seeing but realize this will be a lengthy journey to bring this boat back to 90% factory original. We'll see how long my patience last...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X