No announcement yet.

Just bought a '58 Skagit 20 Express...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've also been "dunking" the bilge of the boat to clean out what may be living or dying under the floor between the stringers. I leave everything strapped down and the plugs out and back the boat into the water and fill it up until it's nearly above the floor at the transom. Then I plug it and take it away from the water and away from anywhere the dirty water could run back into the lake. Then I pull both plugs and watch the crap flow out...seeds, shells, nest, etc... I pick up what's not biodegradable and do it three more times until the water comes out clean. Sure it's not the ideal way, but that's what I did to see what's going on under the floor.
    Here's a small glory shot while soaking in some sun and water...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kelly; 08-26-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

After "restoring" my grandmother's vintage canoe I can testify that dunking will only hint at what is really in there... Mouse skeletons/bodies won't fit back out the plug hole... I got impatient after a week of flushing and drilled the rivets to remove the bow cover....... I found half the bow flotation block removed to make room for three separate nests that all had 1-3 dead bodies in them! They got in by squeezing thru a 3/4" gap at the keel, ain't no way I would have flushed the bodies from the top nest back out that tiny hole.

If you are seeing evidence of critters flushing out you should probably plan to pull the floor and clean it all out or you'll forever be fighting the stench of death and rotting flesh!
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Evidence is there for sure....there is a plan to pull the floor but not sure how soon that will be.

Comment

Hmmm, so I'm liking what I'm seeing! It's definitely hard work, but the results look promising though I still have the bottom half to start on...which will be the last thing I get to. I really wanted to see how the burgundy buffed out so I did a little test spot. Can you spot it? (ha!)

More glory shots:
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good Kelly, I'll keep an eye out for the Peelaway. Might be in storage on San Juan?

is that a surveillance camera? Let me know if you need any help or advice?

Cheers,

Tim
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thanks Tim. It is a security cam...I have cameras all around the house and I can pan around with the one above the boat. I can even do all of this from an app on my phone

Comment

Security cams, okay.

Attached short video of your visit to Boston Harbor. Don't have a date on this....couple months ago.
                This video is presently not public...other than this link.

Tim

https://youtu.be/IbzXhjvfIaA
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones View Post
                  Security cams, okay.

Attached short video of your visit to Boston Harbor. Don't have a date on this....couple months ago.
                  This video is presently not public...other than this link.

Tim

https://youtu.be/IbzXhjvfIaA
                  Hi Tim.
                  Been looking at some of your other videos of the San Juans........I never made it. The only time I have ever been up to the San Juans was when we came across the Ferry, you ran us around the island and back just in time for me to run up and move the RV in the loading line.

Its not like I didn't try either. First time the weather was iffy but Marty said, lets go anyway, we started out and then I was having issues with the 20 Skagit offshore of mine.
                  Marty had is 17 Saborcraft with his 50hp Honda 4 stroke on the back, he would get 50 feet away from me and I would loose contact with him due to the fog. After the first time he lost me, he told me to just stay on the same heading and he would find me again.
                  Every time I tried to run her up, she would start bogging down so we turned around and went back to Mistery Bay.

Than after that, Carol kept me broke enough I was never able to get her fixed and back in the water. Finly, John Nelson came to my rescue.
                  He Totally Created a Exhaust elbow from Stainless and brought it over with a automobile head as were we could get water to the rear cylinder of that Volvo b-18.
                  But, never had the time or money to finish her up. (story of my life it seems)
                  Seems I enjoy working on them more than running them anyway..

One of these days, San Juans, as its on my bucket list
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
                    The Skagit factory made 2 20 foot hull molds, one for inboard, one outboard. Think from conversations with factory workers, the idea came out that they had a production crunch, so they built outboard boats with inboard mold, hence the keel ends forward of the stern to accommodate the driveshaft. The lack of a keel at the stern on this particular hull gives it a neat cornering characteristic.
                    Bruce my blue Skagit has the short keel...kinda cool to have one of each style. I'll grab a pic next time. It definitely wasn't an inboard at any point.

Comment

Neat, Kelly. Can't wait to check out each boat, someday you can compare the cornering !

Comment

Hey John, what do you think about the late 70's Mercury outboards? This one has my interest for the blue Skagit:
                        http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/5724868396.html

Comment

Those motors evolved over a long time I think the 1500 had the best power to weight ratio of any motor 150 hp from 100 ci production models and they run good. From 79-81 the 140 were rebadged 150s. The bad they had iron shafts that don't survive in salt water. They are old enough now to need crankshaft seals and new gaskets at least. A while ago I priced the stainless parts a 150 needed at $800 You also have to ask yourself can I get the the bolts out or will they break off. One of the guys from work got a familiar motor 1982 I went over put a water pump and thermostat in, then it was not getting full throttle, I rebuilt the fuel pump picked a piece of gelcoat out of the main jet and replaced a coil. I barely got it to idle. Then it wouldn't run on the lower cylinder it had water in it. At that point I took it home, it needed new gaskets crank seals separator plate in exhaust and the block milled the liners were protruding it got honed and rings too. All the parts looked like they only had about 50 hrs on them. its alright now.

Comment

hmm, thanks for the info John. I've got way too much to do before I power either boat, I just had some time to daydream.

Comment

Because I like to browse craigslist when I can't sleep......

Here is another motor for you Kelly!
                              http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5771009649.html
                              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Uh oh...might have to call

Comment

Working...
                                X