Just bought a '58 Skagit 20 Express...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    hmm, thanks for the info John. I've got way too much to do before I power either boat, I just had some time to daydream.
    I think waiting on the power, until the right deal comes along, is a good idea.

I have seen these powered with Big engines and well, anything above 30 mph you are riding on the Flat bottom part of the boat so its Hard as hell riding. They will take it as mine with that 102hp Volvo I/O would get me up to 28mph and it was just too rough up there so I would always back it down unless I was on mirror like water..

Mine is Heavy too with all that oak stuff built into the cockpit area. Looking at mine, you can see her butt is low in the water to me....
    Belairinbaysm.jpg
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Agreed that most of the older boats, especially cabin cruisers aren't designed for high speeds. Bigger power (within reason) does come in handy though if you have a heavier load that is well distributed making your center of gravity (CG) at or near the bulkhead. While I envision a 90hp, I won't pass up the right 115 either or perhaps even a little more as the weight difference between a 115 and 125, say Merc Optimax, is near zero. Another thing to consider is knowing how to operate power trim. I've been a bassboat owner for nearly 20 years, all with 150hp or bigger (current outboard is a 225 Optimax) and all with power trim. I know how to trim and feather trim any boat in any condition and get the most bang for your buck and smoothest ride 'possible'. Having a bigger outboard doesn't always equal "must go fast". =)
      All of this discussion is opinion based discussion anyway. One person may find a way to justify putting a 300hp on a jon boat while the other only powers their 20 footer with a kicker. Tomato, potato.
      Last edited by Kelly; 09-11-2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
        hmm, thanks for the info John. I've got way too much to do before I power either boat, I just had some time to daydream.
        There is a 1350 on c list Kalispell for $550 that's an ok price for the parts if you're up for the rebuild.

Comment

So having finally paused and put the knowledge I've been picking up from guys like Bruce, I actually looked at the old make-shift HIN tag that was buried under the repaint. It actually had 8 2X 87 stamped on it. So this boat was number 87 in 1958! Pretty cool! Now to figure out how many they produced each month...

Comment

Working...
          X