No announcement yet.

Just bought a '58 Skagit 20 Express...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a '58 Skagit 20 Express...

As far as I know, the boat I just got wasn't well known in the club or classic community. The previous owner had the boat since 1984 and before him a retired Navy guy owned it. The guy I bought it from used it off and on for fishing around his community. It's an outboard model but he's removing the outboard before I pick it up.
    I have one week to figure out how to get a trailer ready, or borrow a trailer to pick it up. I'm going to check on the 20' Bell Boy that I found a couple of years ago and see if I can still pick it up and use the trailer for this Skagit. I was going to pick it up for the other Skagit 20' Offshore I thought I had but the guy wouldn't come up with a title.
    Anyway, the boat needs a solid cleaning. The kicker that sealed the deal was all of the windows are intact and the seals on the upper deck are pretty good for the most part.
    The floor is ok. The cabin floor definitely needs replacing and probably the splashwell. We'll see. There's paint over the gelcoat but I'll see how it cleans up before attempting to strip the paint.

Sorry, no pics until it's in my driveway. I posted early on the last boat and the deal fell flat. Lesson learned.

I hope to have it in my driveway next Monday.

Kelly
    I owe you one.
    I have an empty trailer that I can lend you for a month. I can bring it over and help you pick it up.

Karl
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Comment

Karl I'd say you don't owe me a thing, you helped me out last time! I will take you up on the trailer though! My plan is to go up next Monday, does that fit with your schedule?

Comment

Awesome, I'll call sometime after 4. I have your number if you want to remove it from the post.

Comment

Ok, I'm beat! I now have in my possession our new Skagit 20 Express.
          I left my house at 0800 and met Karl and hooked up his trailer. I didn't get up to Big Lake near Sedro-Woolley until 1230! I met the seller at the boat ramp and proceeded to swap the boat around. I wanted to make sure the boat wouldn't take on water before I gave up the cash. It did great.
          Last week when my son and I sealed the deal with the seller I asked him not to "clean" the boat as that's one of my favorite things to do on a fresh "find". He did as asked and I was pumped to see how it was going to turn out. Well Seattle traffic, all traffic for that matter, was hell.
          I didn't get to my in-laws until 5 pm! Didn't matter as I got straight to work. I started with the "30 seconds" product in a pump spray bottle. I love that stuff! I also used a giant scrub brush and high- pressure water hose.
          I'll post a couple of before shots tonight...then after tomorrow.
          By the way, this boat wasn't a giant secret as it was listed on Craigslist for two days when I contacted the seller. The cool piece to all of it is the boat was in Skagit county, seemed fitting.
          Pics next...
          Attached Files

Comment

A few more pics...
            Attached Files

Comment

So the seller listed the boat as a '59, which it isn't, and the title list it as a '61...which clearly it isn't. I'm going to ask the DOL if they can fix the paperwork to show it as a '58.

Comment

A couple of shots taken during the cleansing process:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                  So the seller listed the boat as a '59, which it isn't, and the title list it as a '61...which clearly it isn't. I'm going to ask the DOL if they can fix the paperwork to show it as a '58.

I know WSDOL will change the titling information if you have sufficient documentation to prove your claim. And how qualifies as "sufficient" also varies from one office to another. So if you get some documentation and the first office says no, just tell them you'll wait to get more evidence and try another office... It took me three different offices before one of them would correct he title on my old Performer "Havoc" which someone had mixed the manufacturer and model names up... Our Chris-Craft is still confusing as it is titled as a '68 but there is no documentation of this boat ever being available for '68...

Awesome find! Great to see another one get saved!!
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Good advice Brian, I'll keep that in mind!
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                      Like Brian said, try other DOL's. The known one NOT to use is the one in Port Townsend. Most people from that whole area will go to Poulsbo but again, try around if they give you any guff....Mine showed it was a 1968 which was a true 1958.

Good score Kelly
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Kelly-
                        Had to renew mine so went in today and posed the problem to the licensing agent. She checked their database for Skagit boat and other than Skagit Orca, didn't list our boats. Didn't go back that far, she said. I asked if a person came up with an affidavit from a so-called "expert" ( maybe a marine surveyor) stating the proper year. She said no. Her solution is for her to email someone in Olympia and get approval to change the year shown on the registration. So the short answer would be it's a hassle to change.
                        I still like Bryan's concept of finding the right office, presenting an official looking appraisal sheet ( maybe a NWCBC logo, heh,heh)
                        with a group agreed- upon year.....then a licensing agent would forward that to Olympia and a change could be made there. Since you live near Olympia, might go faster or find someone face-to-face.
                        Neat details about Skagits make them easy to identify by year. Head scratchers might be some transitional boats we've seen, but that's another story.....

Comment

Dol can change title Information If they wont you can get a state patrol inspection. Bring boat and Brochures with 57 58 and 59 Skagit 20s and other stuff. Look aluminum window trim . This dosnt affect you Washington is asking for bills of sale be notarized now.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

A few more pics before bed...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Kelly; 06-07-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X