X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted some nice classics

on South Puget Sound on Tuesday !
    Attached Files

So clearly that's Tim in the Saratogan, Kelly in his Uniflite, but is the near boat the 25' Skagit?

It was definitely a great day to be out on the water!!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

The nearest boat is Karl's 1960 25' Skagit, affectionately known as Arthur. Very rare boat designed by Spaulding Naval Architects/Nickum Spaulding, Seattle. Production maybe 12-20, with only 5-6 known to the group. John Berg in Everett has a cool outboard version. Arthur is super beefy, built to the "old school" standard of thick, hand lay-up glass, Karl tell us how much that rig weighs !
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bruceb; 06-01-2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Here's a scan of the 1959 Skagit brochure where there's a 25 like Karl's and Tim's (yes, the very boat) 31 Saratogan in background.
        Attached Files

Comment

Although they are the same hull, you will notice that the "Skagit 24" as shown in the 1959 brochure, doesn't have the additional trim below the rub rail as the 1960 "25".
          17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
          18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
          19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
          25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
          14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
          14' Stilleto

Comment

Michele and I actually drive down to Portland to look at buying Arthur almost exactly 4 years ago! Wonderful boat, with some very nice details inside the cabin. But alas, Arthur just wasn't the boat for us. Really makes me happy to know it stayed in the club and is getting used again!
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Although they are the same hull, you will notice that the "Skagit 24" as shown in the 1959 brochure, doesn't have the additional trim below the rub rail as the 1960 "25".
              When Marty and I drove down to Portland and picked up the other Skagit 24, we stopped and looked at Arthur. I had the bad wants for the boat but, no funding for it.
              I also had the Fiberform that I had picked up in Astoria that was supposed to have been totally gone though but it had sat long enough that the fir nettles built up on the top of the 302 Ford engine until it rusted a hole in the valve cover. Then she filled with water and of course, was junk.
              I lost the fiberform only to find out she sold it for $350. That was boat and the salt water caulkins trailer that was good for up to a 26 foot boat, With the spare engine I had to put into it..
              I still have the title for the boat and trailer and the jokers that stole it (pretty much) have it forsale up in Port Angles for 3500 dollars now. Not running, not clean, trailer still needs brakes and tires......Oh well. Some people...............

I looked at the Skagit and thought how easy it would be to just find a 24ft or larger donor boat that had a good I/O in it and just install that and be done with it. I could see how easy that would have been to change the engine bed to carry that engine and if a OMC outdrive, those swap out real easy and plentiful to boot.

Then, I would be able to cruse the San Juans which was on my bucket back then.
              Might still be able to do that with my 20ft Skagit Offshore some day.

So, just dreaming for now

It sure made me feel good that you guys got together out on the water. Makes me feel that all of what I do was worth something. I was getting to the point I was thinking to just throw in the towel. Once I get to the point were I can't pay the bills or problems with the IRS, that might still happen. I have not had the funds to do the taxes for the boat club filing for the last two years...My bookkeeping sucks too.

Huh...I just looked at all this, blab blab blab blab
              Maybe I should have just keep my mouth shut but most know me, I think out loud and it gets me into trouble at times.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

A few more from the 143 I shot. Great memories, great boaters to share the day with....
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X