Mishap on the River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mishap on the River

While I'm cruising the Columbia, where I boated all last year, I'm telling my girlfriend to watch for logs and such, and pointed out some. I'm turning, and BAMB!....

Homelite Lower Leg.jpg

Ed Ewing in Cal. is sending me up a lower leg with new bearings and seals, etc.

Ouch, but stuff happens on the river (and our lakes down here). Ed's a great guy. I bought my rebuilt F block from him and it runs great. It sat covered all winter and when I hit the starter (fresh gas & battery) it lit right up. Hope he's around for a while longer.
    Steve/WizardII
    Last edited by WizardIII; 06-19-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Wow, were you running wide open?

Comment

Now I feel guilty for buying your parts motor, That's the real cause here. Its better to start with a fresh one new bearings might help it seal up. Your trailer looks really good. The salt over here makes trailer restoration futile.

Comment

I got a lower leg from Ed, came yesterday. New seals, roller bearings, used studs, all for $80. Great guy. Older than dirt
          Wasn't running full out, but was executing a turn, so the lower unit struck what ever it was at an angle, the damage was kind of a sideways smack and twist action.

Comment

Originally posted by davriker View Post
            I got a lower leg from Ed, came yesterday. New seals, roller bearings, used studs, all for $80. Great guy. Older than dirt
            Wasn't running full out, but was executing a turn, so the lower unit struck what ever it was at an angle, the damage was kind of a sideways smack and twist action.
            Just as a warning of places Not to go....
            Back in the day were you used to launch by Sun Dial, just east of there and those power lines, stay in the main channel as those rock cropping's are pretty close to the surface when the water is low. I have seen a few people go jetting though that area and hit them.
            In fact, that is yet another reason that I like foaming under the deck floor to the hull. You would have to punch a hole clear up into the cabin or deck floor before you would take on any water..

Glad you got the goodies you need.

Anyone know of any Mechanics up in Oregon or Washington that knows and works on the Homelite Bearcats ?

Just now working on opening up another shop and not sure what direction I am wanting to go in as of yet. Once Eds Bell Boy is done, I have two of my own to restore and was thinking maybe getting back into the Bearcats. Just thinking about it at this moment is all.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looking at the picture it looks like the gear box itself is undamaged and an upper case replacement might give you a spare.

Having worked at Sundial Marine for 23yrs as you know Joe, I've seen it all out there! Not only the rocks but the sand bar from the Sandy river would ground a lot of boats at low tide. I remember on night when a speed boat made it halfway into a log boom!
              Dick Johnson
              1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
              X