Thread: 1957 14' Skagit Runabout

1957 14' Skagit Runabout

Hello!

We recently bought a 1957 14' Skagit Runabout that we are cleaning up, removing carpet, painting the inside and changing out the motor.

We have a 1960's Johnson Super SeaHorse 40 hp. elect. start, 2 stroke engine that we will not be using. Does anyone know what we should do with it? We have contacted the Center for Wooden Boats but have not gotten any response. It starts fine but a mechanic told us he would have to charge several hours of labor to refurbish it so we are just replacing it with a smaller used motor.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Cathy B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks good they, were a good model I'd fog it and put it in the corner of the garage for two or three years to see if you are happy with the new one or take an interest in older motors later. You wont find one in that shape later. If you have to get rid of it there's craigslist others there can help you set the price. Nice find on the boat.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Kelly's Avatar
    City
    Tumwater
    State
    Blog Entries
    Nice boat! Welcome to the fun!
    1958 Skagit 20 Express Hardtop
    1958 Skagit 20 Express
    -PNW Craftsmanship

Don't forget about the FAQ page if you need help with the forum:
    http://www.classicboatclub.com/faq.php

Supporting Member Supporting Member bruceb's Avatar
    City
    Duvall
    State
    Nice boat, think I've seen it in action ! I have a 14 Skagit with a 35hp Evinrude Lark, and frankly, I wouldn't use anything less than 40hp, just my opinion...... enjoy the boat, oh, and there are lots of parts still available for those motors and are quite reliable.

In the fifties we summered on the Camano tide flat beach. My Dad bought a 14' Norseman run about. It had a Johnson 25 Sea Horse with a rope start. My request to drive the boat was answered by "when you can start it." My dad being a powerful man could literly SNAP that thing to life.

The neighbors down the beach had a 15' run about with 18hp Evinrude with electric start. both boats pulled owners and guests that wanted to double ski. single skiing was unknown at the time. I was 7 or 8 years old.
    Last edited by DMCI; 07-09-2016 at 02:47 AM.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Boats(s)
    Uniflite - Skagits - Dorsett
    City
    Veneta
    State
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCI View Post
    In the fifties we summered on the Camano tide flat beach. My Dad bought a 14' Norseman run about. It had a Johnson 25 Sea Horse with a rope start. My request to drive the boat was answered by "when you can start it." My dad being a powerful man could literly SNAP that thing to life.

The neighbors down the beach had a 15' run about with 18hp Evinrude with electric start. both boats pulled owners and guests that wanted to double ski. single skiing was unknown at the time. I was 7 or 8 years old.

Good to see you in here Dave !!!. Been awhile.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Boats(s)
    Uniflite - Skagits - Dorsett
    City
    Veneta
    State
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
    Hello!

We recently bought a 1957 14' Skagit Runabout that we are cleaning up, removing carpet, painting the inside and changing out the motor.

We have a 1960's Johnson Super SeaHorse 40 hp. elect. start, 2 stroke engine that we will not be using. Does anyone know what we should do with it? We have contacted the Center for Wooden Boats but have not gotten any response. It starts fine but a mechanic told us he would have to charge several hours of labor to refurbish it so we are just replacing it with a smaller used motor.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Cathy B.
    Welcome aboard first off.

I think you will find once that motor is gone though, it will be just as dependent as some of the newer ones.

Like some of the others have said, fog it and just cover it up for a few years and the value will climb.
    Right now, not too much demand for them but like I said, very dependable motors.

Enjoy
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Thanks, John!

Thanks, Helmar!