Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 14' Skagit Runabout

Hello!

We recently bought a 1957 14' Skagit Runabout that we are cleaning up, removing carpet, painting the inside and changing out the motor.

We have a 1960's Johnson Super SeaHorse 40 hp. elect. start, 2 stroke engine that we will not be using. Does anyone know what we should do with it? We have contacted the Center for Wooden Boats but have not gotten any response. It starts fine but a mechanic told us he would have to charge several hours of labor to refurbish it so we are just replacing it with a smaller used motor.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Cathy B.
    Attached Files

It looks good they, were a good model I'd fog it and put it in the corner of the garage for two or three years to see if you are happy with the new one or take an interest in older motors later. You wont find one in that shape later. If you have to get rid of it there's craigslist others there can help you set the price. Nice find on the boat.

Comment

Nice boat! Welcome to the fun!

Comment

Nice boat, think I've seen it in action ! I have a 14 Skagit with a 35hp Evinrude Lark, and frankly, I wouldn't use anything less than 40hp, just my opinion...... enjoy the boat, oh, and there are lots of parts still available for those motors and are quite reliable.

Comment

In the fifties we summered on the Camano tide flat beach. My Dad bought a 14' Norseman run about. It had a Johnson 25 Sea Horse with a rope start. My request to drive the boat was answered by "when you can start it." My dad being a powerful man could literly SNAP that thing to life.

The neighbors down the beach had a 15' run about with 18hp Evinrude with electric start. both boats pulled owners and guests that wanted to double ski. single skiing was unknown at the time. I was 7 or 8 years old.
          Last edited by DMCI; 07-09-2016, 01:47 AM.
          Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
          16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
          17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI View Post
            In the fifties we summered on the Camano tide flat beach. My Dad bought a 14' Norseman run about. It had a Johnson 25 Sea Horse with a rope start. My request to drive the boat was answered by "when you can start it." My dad being a powerful man could literly SNAP that thing to life.

The neighbors down the beach had a 15' run about with 18hp Evinrude with electric start. both boats pulled owners and guests that wanted to double ski. single skiing was unknown at the time. I was 7 or 8 years old.

Good to see you in here Dave !!!. Been awhile.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy View Post
              Hello!

We recently bought a 1957 14' Skagit Runabout that we are cleaning up, removing carpet, painting the inside and changing out the motor.

We have a 1960's Johnson Super SeaHorse 40 hp. elect. start, 2 stroke engine that we will not be using. Does anyone know what we should do with it? We have contacted the Center for Wooden Boats but have not gotten any response. It starts fine but a mechanic told us he would have to charge several hours of labor to refurbish it so we are just replacing it with a smaller used motor.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Cathy B.
              Welcome aboard first off.

I think you will find once that motor is gone though, it will be just as dependent as some of the newer ones.

Like some of the others have said, fog it and just cover it up for a few years and the value will climb.
              Right now, not too much demand for them but like I said, very dependable motors.

Enjoy
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks, John!

Comment

Thanks, Helmar!

Comment

Working...
                  X