No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It may be difficult to tell by these photos, but this piece had just as many, if not more, cracks in the gelcoat than the entire boat! What a pain. More sanding on some high spots to do still.
    Also, a small change to the original design. Added csm and cloth build up on the insides of the frame. This will serve two purposes: 1) strength overall and reduce surface cracking from the weight of the hardtop and 2) it will have a finished look on the inside versus the roving look. It is fact the factory did finish work like this on atleast one other Skagit, the Saratogan hull #3. Hull #2 has the roving look.
    Better pics when I'm finished.
    Last edited by Kelly; 08-24-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly View Post
      It may be difficult to tell by these photos, but this piece had just as many, if not more, cracks in the gelcoat than the entire boat! What a pain. More sanding on some high spots to do still.
      Also, a small change to the original design. Added cam and cloth build up on the insides of the frame. This will serve two purposes: 1) strength overall and reduce surface cracking from the weight of the hardtop and 2) it will have a finished look on the inside versus the roving look. It is fact the factory did finish work like this on atleast one other Skagit, the Saratogan hull #3. Hull #2 has the roving look.
      Better pics when I'm finished.
      Those always take a beating some how. I remember Kelly at Fiberglassics created a knee for his to help support it. Having it bolted to the hard top would also make the whole thing more solid.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

• I tried contacting him to buy one but he never responded. I like what he did with it.
        No matter now, this thing is strong!

Comment

• The former name that was long gone when I got her, won't go away!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kelly; 08-24-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Looking Good! I like what you are doing. I'm not painting my boat exterior except the bottom anytime soon due to thats my day job. I feel for you repairing all the cracks and voids. It is true the more you sand the nicer the end result, but sometimes it not worth the extra work, I like Helmars standard of 20 ft 20 mph looks good.

Comment

• Thanks man. It's been a crazy journey. Some days I just want to say F-it, it's good enough. Then I argue with myself and say why put all that money into it to just come up short?
                At the end of the day it's my best effort, and that still may result in a 20/20 boat.

Comment

• Test fitting the bridge and hatch before painting.

Comment

• Minor update:
                    Final sanding completed on the primer (I think!) Now just waiting to paint. Maybe mid -October.
                    Picked up my original seat frames from the powder coat shop... amazing! I'll post pics soon but wow!

Comment

• Here's a side by side comparison of the original seat frames. This piece is what the bottom seat cushion mounts to.
                      I chose a semi-chrome powdercoat...looks more aluminum which is what I was going for.
                      Last edited by Kelly; 10-07-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Here's a side by side comparison of the original seat frames. This piece is what the bottom seat cushion mounts to.
                        I chose a semi-chrome powdercoat...looks more aluminum which is what I was going for.
                        Its pretty cool what those guys can do to make things look New again. Looking pretty sweet Kelly
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• Burning the midnight oil again... paint tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Comment

• Good luck, lookin good, excited to see pics with color on it. What paint and application technique are you using?

Comment

• Small set back today. A shift in lighting revealed some areas requiring further attention with 220g. Will attempt again tomorrow.
                              Spraying the hull Interlux Perfection Off White tomorrow. Spraying the top/super structure Awlgrip burgundy/claret maybe next week.
                              I've heard horror stories with reds/red equivalent and spraying. The plan is to cut in the edges and work from there. First time for me so we'll see.

Comment

Small set back today. A shift in lighting revealed some areas requiring further attention with 220g. Will attempt again tomorrow.
                                Spraying the hull Interlux Perfection Off White tomorrow. Spraying the top/super structure Awlgrip burgundy/claret maybe next week.
                                I've heard horror stories with reds/red equivalent and spraying. The plan is to cut in the edges and work from there. First time for me so we'll see.
                                You can't have enough light, Ever. Good luck with the paint and interested on your experience with it.
                                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                                X