No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First coat. I'll say this, I wish I had a better area to paint but at this point, I'm glad to be painting...

Some clean up sanding to do, a few runs to tend to then we'll hit the second coat. I'll be putting up more lights in the meantime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly View Post
      First coat. I'll say this, I wish I had a better area to paint but at this point, I'm glad to be painting...

Some clean up sanding to do, a few runs to tend to then we'll hit the second coat. I'll be putting up more lights in the meantime.
      If you ever seen the inside of a automotive paint booth, you know you can't get enough light. And, the older you get, the more light you will want too
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

• Very true. We tried a few techniques that were ok but natural light was working against us too. It's as though we need it darker outside with just florescent lighting to get it right.
        I quickly realized I won't achieve the finish I set out to get in the beginning, but at this point I'm just ready to be done with it. The paint itself is nice, but it doesn't hide the flaws like I'd hoped it would.

Comment

• Spraying non house paint takes quite a bit if practice. Trying to spray without being able to see the paint hit the boat with the reflection of the florescent light at the same time and place makes it even harder. Ideally you are looking at the texture of the paint in the reflection of the florescent light. Plus the more you put on the more the paint will fill/cover, especially if your sanding between coats. The initial coat doesn't usually represent how the finished product will look. Hang in there it will look fine!

Comment

• Also depending on the paint it should flow out somewhat, so even by morning it may be flatter texture wise.

Comment

• Thanks, I appreciate what you wrote. Admittedly I was a little frustrated at first but have since chilled out. There are several factors playing into this whole project with timelines I wanted to hit but missed.
              Last edited by Kelly; 12-10-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• It's starting the decline of the temps and the start of the busy holiday season so either I get into gear or wait until spring to finish painting.
                Last edited by Kelly; 12-10-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Back at it...sanding the first coat. Started with 400g but the runs and sags took forever to sand out so made the switch to 320g. Interlux (Perfection) recommends either grit so it should be fine. The paint loads up quickly on the sandpaper but once it grabs it's good to go.
                  Also raised the boat about 2 feet higher in hopes of achieving better spraying angles and lighting on the hull. It took me about an hour to get the height right, it's a little nerve rattling by yourself.

Comment

Back at it...sanding the first coat. Started with 400g but the runs and sags took forever to sand out so made the switch to 320g. Interlux (Perfection) recommends either grit so it should be fine. The paint loads up quickly on the sandpaper but once it grabs it's good to go.
                    Also raised the boat about 2 feet higher in hopes of achieving better spraying angles and lighting on the hull. It took me about an hour to get the height right, it's a little nerve rattling by yourself.
                    Yes, jacking up the boat alone is always nerve racking. Sounds like you should have just did a Tip and Roll with Gelcoat. Sand, polish after its on too.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• We'll see how it all plays out in the end but the Interlux & Awlgrip paints are supposed to be maintenance free whereas gelcoat fades and requires buffing in the long run.

Comment

We'll see how it all plays out in the end but the Interlux & Awlgrip paints are supposed to be maintenance free whereas gelcoat fades and requires buffing in the long run.
                        I keep forgetting all the advancements they have made with Paints..
                        They quit using Emoron paints due to how toxic is was but I proved how good that paint was back in the truck driving days. I painted my Peterbuilt 359L with that after I ran into a sand storm coming west on Interstate 10. Rocks would Bounce off that paint.

Now they have paints that do the same thing and I know Interlux and Awlgrip have made some pretty good advancements to compete with the auto industry's paints.

I remember all the work Doug Griffith had done on his 20 Skagit, 3D's and it turned out Fabulous..
                        9145_AMERICANLAKEDOUGPENNYSPEED.jpg

Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• That is a good looking 57 for sure.

2d coat wasn't good. Starting over.
                          Last edited by Kelly; 01-07-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Sorry to hear kelly, spraying paint is not easy! Any specific questions or issues your having? I have never sprayed "marine" paint but have been painting cars for 20 years. There are a ton of variables that can affect the paint. its very easy to be overly critical as you have been closer to the boat then you ever will again.

Comment

• Most automotive paints have different speed hardner’s, reducers and accelerators and can be sprayed down into the 40’s, not ideal though and the paint will not lay down as well as when 70’s degrees. I struggle with temperature when painting after season changes, I don’t have a heated booth, but the shop is heated and the booth will quickly move all that warm air out of the shop, and runs happen sometimes in the winter before I compensate with lighter coats, more flash time between coats, etc 80’s summer and maybe 60 in dead of winter if I’m lucky. Interesting about the maintenance free not being able to sand and buffed. Most auto paints can be sanded and buffed and will continue to get harder for close to a year after it is sprayed, but doesn’t necessarily need to be polished or buffed unless scratched and scuffed from washing dirt off. The fluid control knob on the back of the gun can be turned in to reduce the amount of paint coming out. Also hopefully you have pressure regulator at the gun with a gauge. Recommended pleasure is quite higher at the the point the hose is plugged to compare with where the gun is plugged in to the hose. If it makes you feel any better I’m not painting my boat, just a little polishing the old paint job I got it with, so it’s not going to look anything special.

Comment

• The Interlux tech is the one that told me about what would happen when the paint is sanded.
                                As far as your boat (and others) I enjoy seeing these classics going back on the water at all stages from original to modified.
                                Last edited by Kelly; 12-10-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X