No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great news! Glad you stopped by her house Brian.
    Thanks for the update.

Comment

Stripped most of the hardware from the hardtop to see how well it will buff out. I only did half to show the difference. I used 1500 grit to just remove a small layer because the gelcoat is thin. It didn't bring out a high Polish but it did bring some color back. I might hit it again with 800-1000 grit and go up from there. I also used 3m restorer polish, the same that I used on the Uniflite. It's not bad but could be better, smoother.

20161118_125930.jpg20161118_133654.jpg20161118_141312.jpg20161118_141338.jpg

Comment

yes, so that's looking quite worth the effort, Kelly. Over time and with multiple buffing with wax, should start to have the uniform look to match the rest of boat, awesome progress !And Brian, great news about Melanie, we need her back boating and getting that fine boat running again.

Comment

The glass I have is a port with a crack in it. Its good enough for a form. Is that the one missing? I cant find my heaters I'm looking into getting another tomorrow.

Comment

I got a new heater , poster paper and some plexi glass we might get a couple windows out of. I cant imagine Ill be at Hancor past 9.30 If you want to give it a try call me in the morning. Ill send my number private.

Comment

Hey John, let's give it a go! I'll call in the morning...

Comment

Ok, time to load up on some resto-preservation pics! Prepare yourselves, this is the beginning! I will preface the pics with I'm not the one doing the work right now. I've commissioned a guy you all might know...he goes by the name of Helmar. Heard of him?
                Attached Files

Comment

What I find most interesting in the pics is the raw material where the helm/port boxes were and again where the fuel tanks were. I would think it would be harder to paint around the helm boxes than to paint the bulkhead first in its entirety. I guess it saved ounces of paint.

Comment

Its a bummer that window came out bumpy. Got more plexiglass on the way home I might be able to make durable forms of fiberglass from my windows. Might have a good part no for glass 90-87385-1 not shure.

Comment

Great progress on the boat, Helmar and Kelly. That's pretty much what I found when I tore my transom apart, cleaned up faster than I had planned. Those multi-tools are essential in getting in close to features to remove old wood, glass.
                      I got all concerned that the outer hull shell might deform so I made an exoskeleton to hold the shape. Not needed, as only area that's critical is the center 18" or so where the motor bracket fits against the exterior. Just needs a straight edge clamped to that area.
                      In a visit to Middy back when I was doing the 14, Skip showed me how he shaped plexi. He built plywood "bucks" using 3/4 ply bulkheads placed every 4-6 inches at critical points and nailed/glued them together with a base and top plate. He knew that once the template was made off the original, that laying it out and making those bulkheads came pretty easy. Having the bucks laying around from specific boats, especially open runabouts, was easy to adapt one to fit a different brand. He must have had over a hundred bucks when I visited. Problem was they took up space !
                      Attached is a shot of the exoskeleton I made for 20' transom. Much like Skip's bucks, a project like this takes patience, just wish I'd known I really didn't need it...P1120931.jpgP1120930.jpg

Comment

I can't thank you enough John for taking the time to stop by and help another enthusiasts. It may have not worked this time, but definitely learned from it. Now one more time, was it a Victoria or Crown Victoria or something else? My mind is mush...

Bruce that definitely looks like a lot of work and patience, but man is that one good looking transom and the diligence paid off for sure.

Comment

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Victoria...051?nav=SEARCH
                          Crown Victoria glass...

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                            I can't thank you enough John for taking the time to stop by and help another enthusiasts. It may have not worked this time, but definitely learned from it. Now one more time, was it a Victoria or Crown Victoria or something else? My mind is mush...

Bruce that definitely looks like a lot of work and patience, but man is that one good looking transom and the diligence paid off for sure.
                            I remember building the oven up at Island Boat Shop and because Marty wanted Nothing to do with windows, he sold it to Ed Brown so when Ed brought his boat up to me, he brought the oven too.

Even with the oven, two heat guns, it took me 4 (Four) sheets of 1/4" plex to do the windows in Bruce Drakes Bell Boy.
                            It was a Major chore and I also remember it took me three tries to get the radius right on the cabin windows to they would just Lay into place.
                            The radius in the helm wrap around windows turned out a little more easy but still it was a fight.

I have Eds windows to put in but NO frames and even with using the rubber I am afraid one big wave over the bow could punch those cabin and helm windows in. Not acceptable !
                            The one thing I did do is he can pump 66 gallons in 60 seconds, 33 gallons in 30 seconds and so forth with the pumps I have under the transom bucket.
                            Its going to look like a fire hose spraying water out each side of that boat if he ever takes water on. I might have to double check that but I went Big.

The problem with the plex is it can't touch anything or it will leave a mark. Working on that too.

SO, keep hacking at it and you will get it. Oh yeah, John does not like to give up either
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                            X