Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    I can't thank you enough John for taking the time to stop by and help another enthusiasts. It may have not worked this time, but definitely learned from it. Now one more time, was it a Victoria or Crown Victoria or something else? My mind is mush...

Bruce that definitely looks like a lot of work and patience, but man is that one good looking transom and the diligence paid off for sure.
    I will ask Marty for sure but it was a windshield that was two wide. They had them custom cut to make two and put a post in the center.

The mistake on that project was, everyone expected those windows to just fit the frames. Almost didn't fit so now I know to make the Frame fit the window.
    Much easier to make the frame fit the window.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

John mentioned a different Ford windshield, but even after asking twice and talking about it, for the life of me I can't remember exactly which one it was...total brain fart.

Comment

Did the research several years ago by taking a template made from butcher paper made off my 1958 20 express windshield. Took template to a car show and it fit a 1956 Ford sedan. The windshield is also same as a station wagon. Does not fit a convertible or a Crown Vic, those are shorter windshields by about 1 1/2".P1110722.JPGP1110725.JPG At first Skagit bought windshields from Ford, then realized it was less expensive to go to salvage/junk yards and buy off wrecked cars. Many were 1/2 of one car 1/2 off different car. Funny part is the labor of chasing these junked windshields must not have been calculated in to the cost issue, ha ha.

Comment

Lets leave Marty and Bill at home on this one Fairlane is the key here not . invintory of windows is down take out the ones tinted on top makes it even less.

Comment

Fairlane Victoria sedan delivery club sedan??

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
              Did the research several years ago by taking a template made from butcher paper made off my 1958 20 express windshield. Took template to a car show and it fit a 1956 Ford sedan. The windshield is also same as a station wagon. Does not fit a convertible or a Crown Vic, those are shorter windshields by about 1 1/2".[ATTACH=CONFIG]14542[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14543[/ATTACH] At first Skagit bought windshields from Ford, then realized it was less expensive to go to salvage/junk yards and buy off wrecked cars. Many were 1/2 of one car 1/2 off different car. Funny part is the labor of chasing these junked windshields must not have been calculated in to the cost issue, ha ha.
              Good Score Bruce !!!!..

I can add to this. I will have to go dig them out as I think I know were they are. I grew up in my Dads wrecking yard and back in the 50's, 60's and part of the 70's, we had Interchange books made by Hollander that would tell what all interchanged with other cars or trucks.
              These books are almost 4" thick and I have one from the 50's and one from the 60's.

Great....I found the book, looked it up and it says, Glass is in section 9B.....I have 9A and 9C, B is missing......
              I DO remember that Mercury was the same as Ford on the full size cars.
              I did find the Part Number for it 49-87385-1 and the least expensive one I found, NOT shipped, was $251 dollars.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Here is what I found.

Skagit Glass Windshield, 1958, running around $250 dollars without shipping.

Make / Model Series Body Notes Year
                FORD FAIRLANE SEDAN See Specific Apps Above 1955, 1956
                FORD FAIRLANE WAGON See Specific Apps Above 1955, 1956
                FORD FAIRLANE HARD TOP See Specific Apps Above 1955, 1956
                MERCURY FULL SIZE MERCURY SEDAN 70, 73, & 76 Series Codes 1955, 1956
                MERCURY FULL SIZE MERCURY WAGON 59 & 79 Series Codes 1955, 1956
                MERCURY FULL SIZE MERCURY HARD TOP 57 & 60 Series Codes 1955, 1956

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/wind...-1955-56.html#
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Excellent Helmar ! You went to the source. Had heard they were same as Mercs, and can assume that when they started to install in 55 must have been from 55 models. Nice.

Comment

Teamwork! Excellent!

Comment

I ordered a windshield today. They didn't like the 90-87385-1 "It is not what the auto glass Industry uses" or the old Id I found Solex Duplicate 85 So it got ordered from the application 1956 Ford Town Sedan. It came up for me as a mercury number I'm going to delay printing the number till I see it in the frame. Its coming from $ 150 away. Things to think of when ordering glass It cant be tempered It won't cut , Color blue, green, clear, smoke, tint on top, measure height before shipping, make sure person cutting glass knows you need both half's and read Marty's experience with glass.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
                        I ordered a windshield today. They didn't like the 90-87385-1 "It is not what the auto glass Industry uses" or the old Id I found Solex Duplicate 85 So it got ordered from the application 1956 Ford Town Sedan. It came up for me as a mercury number I'm going to delay printing the number till I see it in the frame. Its coming from $ 150 away. Things to think of when ordering glass It cant be tempered It won't cut , Color blue, green, clear, smoke, tint on top, measure height before shipping, make sure person cutting glass knows you need both half's and read Marty's experience with glass.
                        Is this for your Tyee ? Does that upper windshield frame come off of that?
                        I know you already know this as you have to fit the Frame to the Glass and that the rubber has to get heated up as so its like a wet noodle to put in.
                        Geeze, look who I am telling this too. Mr Mcgiver Someone that can teach me a few things
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

The Tyee has a broken port window and bb mark and white edge on the starboard . The frame comes off as a large section that goes to the stern. The glass fits well and it doesn't need to come off. It currently appears the left side of the new window is going in the Tyee and the right side is going in a 20 express window project I've been delaying forever. I'm currently generating more questions than answers though.

Comment

John you might just be the one to solve the age old question...though it was almost answered by Marty and crew, there was no definitive answer.

On to other news for now:
                            Just got off the phone with WefCo regarding rub rail cost. As expected the price per foot has gone up but that was a no-brainer. In the event you're wondering, it's now $5 per foot. I did ask about club discounts, he mentioned he would have to go back and look to see if we still receive them.
                            Looking back at old threads, it would appear as though 40 ft is enough if you stretch install it. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                              John you might just be the one to solve the age old question...though it was almost answered by Marty and crew, there was no definitive answer.

On to other news for now:
                              Just got off the phone with WefCo regarding rub rail cost. As expected the price per foot has gone up but that was a no-brainer. In the event you're wondering, it's now $5 per foot. I did ask about club discounts, he mentioned he would have to go back and look to see if we still receive them.
                              Looking back at old threads, it would appear as though 40 ft is enough if you stretch install it. Thoughts?
                              I have yours off and will put a tape on it to let you know how many feet for sure.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

We have to channel Chuck for the answer to this one. I use about six models of motors all older to do all my boating and can't tell you what motor to get either. Current fantasy do the 140 hp upgrade to my Coventry motor and bolt it to an AQ 100 outdrive. You all know I've had my nose in the glue bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X