No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Bruce, it actually cleaned up really well with just some light scrubbing. Since my pennant isn't stretched yet it has the perfect form just sitting there

Comment

• Congrats on that light! I had to cobble my mast into mine. It works and looks good, but was an effort.

A longevity tip for your burgee. Take a small bit of resin or 5 minute epoxy even, and dab the very tip of it, covering the folded fabric and threads. I found on mine that after running around for a few summers, the end started getting loose and frayed. I dipped the end in resin to prevent any more unraveling. You won't notice it when under way and your flag will last longer.
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

• Thanks for the tip!
        I also forgot to mention a thanks to Bruce for the burgees, very cool that you and your wife made those!

Comment

• Today was a day of revelations. First I figured out the hull number on the blue Skagit, then I looked at the title for the hardtop and realized (with some help from Bruce) that the HIN was actually really close to what would've been on the original ID plate. After determining that an "S" could've been really an "8" and the "J4" was really "14" that would make this boat the 14th boat produced in 1958 and reinforces my initial thoughts that this was an early boat.

Comment

• Progress! That's what we want to see and attention to details, too! The bow light, mast and pennant look fabulous! Good tip on the epoxy of the tip of the pennant. I've had several unravel at the point. In a good apparent wind the tip of the pennant is going supersonic.

Cheers,

Tim
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

• New Skagit Plastics Inc. HIN plate completed today! I gotta say, it looks pretty good! Pictures later. I'm on version 2, about to move to version 3 to dial it in a little more with the font. I'm super happy though, it came out really cool! Once I get these dialed in, I can make more with whatever HIN you want in the box, and I won't charge through the hull on 'em either

Comment

• Small update.

I'm still working on the final version of the Hull No. plate. The person I'm working with can be a little on the gruff side so I'm just being patient and not pushing him. Version 2 looked pretty good, version 3 was better but I'm sure version 4 will be spot on and I finally was able to convince him to upload "true font" into his machine, no easy task for sure (the convincing part!).

I also talked with Pete at WefCo. Nice guy. I was charged the same prices for my rubrail/window rubber order that Chuck was charged back in '09. Good for the club for sure. I actually was about to order the wrong part number for the rubrail as one member (nameless) posted a picture of his order with said part number so I went to pull the trigger. Pete called me on it and asked me to double check. I did and he was right so with that I placed the order and received the shipment within a week. BTW, they don't just have this stuff laying around. He makes it as it is ordered, which is pretty amazing that I received it so quick.
                He has my vote for great customer service.

As far as the boat, it's still a work in progress. I'll post some pics in a few days.

Comment

• I got my center cap today! I'm digging it. My plan is to install it on the non-nos steering wheel after I restore it. It will essentially look like this but once completely installed it fits the diameter perfect! It's currently just set in there for a photo op.
                  20170502_141608.jpg
                  20170502_141409.jpg
                  20170304_095220.jpg

Comment

• Made another center cap, playing with color options... I'm liking both of them so we'll see which one I'll install. I'm leaning one way but I'll know once the steering wheel is installed.
                    20170510_152455 (1).jpg

Comment

• Just called Skip, my windows are done. I'll be picking them up next Tuesday and test fitting them before I leave the shop. The boat has the floor going in now that the transom is done. It's getting closer and closer to becoming a reality. I do believe some details will have to wait once I get the boat back. Chroming parts will be at the top of the list of things that will have to wait as that is a big expense. I still have hardware, paint, fuel tanks, bilge pump(s), outboard... bringing a boat back to life the right way is expensive.

Progress pics:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good, Kelly. Those stringers look really nice. What a great job they did back in the day.
                        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                        Past Affairs:
                        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

• Thanks John, credit goes to Helmar at this point. Those stringers are something of wonder and amazement.

Well I did pick up the windows from Skip today. Overall I'm happy with the job he did and with his help and the help of Bruce B., we were able to test fit the windows before leaving. Turned out just fine after some small adjustments. One thing to note, Skip mentioned I should hang on to the old glass, even though they're taped together he mentioned they worked just fine for a mold and better than trying to make one off another acrylic piece. So in the future should anyone need a template, I have the upper windows in storage.
                          Thanks again Bruce for your help and continued support for this project!

Comment

• Thanks Kelly, the process you're in is admirable in the detail you're committed on for this boat. I'd be remiss in not mentioning that I'd be just as interested in helping if it was another color combo !!! The chance to go to the center of acrylic windshield restoration universe can't be passed- the church of Skip. Full of info of the marine variety, never shrinks from taking on the "next project", that Army work skiff was as cool as they get. Tim would like it !
                            Anyhow, keep up the speed on items for the finishing details, looking great, guys !

Comment

• Small update for today:

Progress from the chrome shop!
                              Overall I'm happy with them. There are a couple of blemishes but I'm not going to stress over it, I have enough stress already =)
                              BEFORE:
                              20170605_091840.jpg
                              AFTER:
                              20170703_174828.jpg

Comment

• One more update... it's starting to look familiar again!

Dsc05193sm.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X