No announcement yet.

Uh oh. 1958 Skagit 20 Hardtop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking very sharp, Helmar ! See you have the v-berth going as well, nice !

Comment

• Originally posted by bruceb View Post
      looking very sharp, Helmar ! See you have the v-berth going as well, nice !
      Thanks Bruce.
      Yep, coming together slow but sure.
      Some pictures kind of reverse order.

That foam job went Great. Major expansion like it is supposed to do.

I just need to do all this stuff to My boat one of these days before I can't

I am thinking I am going to end up with my 59 Skagit 20 offshore and that Dorsett Catalina that I got from Chuck. He drove down to California to get it only to find the stingers are gone in it. Dorsetts MDO plywood stringers....Wasn't the best move on there part.

My daughter is wanting the Skimaster (Pink Panther) so will be selling the Uniflite and others some time down the line.

Helmar
      Attached Files
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

• mercury

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
        One more update... it's starting to look familiar again!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14942[/ATTACH]
        Thoms 1500 sx is on Portland cl for 3995 Id bet on that one is in working order.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
          Thoms 1500 sx is on Portland cl for 3995 Id bet on that one is in working order.
          Cabin is almost finished. Ready for paint.
          Now for the cabin door frame and door next.

Had to throw in a picture of my Shop Dog, Yoda.. He does not bounce when he barks either.
          He lets me know when the mail is in and UPS arrives. No sneaking up on the Helmar
          Attached Files
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
            John that outboard you posted is Beautiful. Wow..

Comment

• Joe thanks for sharing the pics. It looks great.

Comment

• One of the latest updates from house of Helmar...
                Dsc05355sm.jpg
                Dsc05354sm.jpg
                Dsc05353sm.jpg

Comment

• HID plates posted in their own thread...
                  http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...ication-Plates
                  Last edited by Kelly; 10-16-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Updates are moving along...

One of them I wanted to share is from last week when Helmar and I joined forces to conquer some of the remaining "to do" list. One of the list items was to get rid of the old original fuel tanks. After some discussion it was decided it might be best to cut them up first before attempting to dispose of them properly at a Hazo-house. Plus I really wanted to see how potentially bad they could be from the modern fuel. Part of the cutting up discussion was to keep the facial side of the tanks because it was all fiberglass and a nice flat piece. Helmar and I share the same mental disorder of "you never know when you can use it, so don't throw it away..."

Fast forward...

Later we had a discussion on how best to fill some larger holes in the helm box and other places. Good ideas were had however we had an "ah-ha" moment and after some measuring and measuring again it was decided that we could utilize the old cut up fuel tanks to fill the holes on the boat. It was after all fiberglass and, it was original Skagit pieces that would be going back into the Skagit. I must say I absolutely dig the idea of being able to reuse Skagit fuel tanks to help the Skagit boat and keep it living on. Once the gel-coat or paint goes over it you'll never know it had holes filled.

The funny part of the idea was coming up with the right word for using the old fuel tank to fill the fuel tank filler holes. The best we came up with was "cannibalism" as it seem to fit the situation.

Pics show the story..
                    Dsc05521sm.jpg
                    Dsc05520sm.jpg
                    Dsc05518sm.jpg
                    Dsc05529sm.jpg

Comment

• Ok boys and girls, picking my boat up soon! Stay tuned!

Comment

• Burning the midnight oil ... pics soon...

Comment

• Here's some updated pics, although I've done a little more since these were taken it's mostly just sanding, sanding and a little more sanding. As a struggling perfectionist, I'm of the mind this boat won't be perfect, but I'm o.k. with that as I'm finding it tough to get it there with only an hour here or there to work on it each day or a few times a week. Pics...

Wrapping my head around it all...getting ready to drill more holes.

I've removed all of the white paint off of the burgundy on the storage "shelf"...it was driving me nuts.

If you know Skagit boats, then you'll see what we did here that is a stray from the factory wood work. I wanted to close off the floor completely in the cabin and essentially create another small bulkhead with storage capacity. Does anyone really care it's not factory? No. I am trying to keep it close to original though because the original design is what drew me to these boats in the first place.

I know some of these were posted before, but it's just another look at them.

Here's a shot of the transom put together..

This boat really has come a long way since saving her. Take a look again at these cabin photos...gross!

Pretty sure I'm out of my mind, but oh well. Throwback to the day I brought her home...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• can anyone see the latest pics I posted?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                              can anyone see the latest pics I posted?
                              I can't see them....Might send Ed a message as the resizing is set to Yes.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

• strange, I'm on a different computer and can see the pics. I don't know why you can't see them Helmar.

Comment

Working...
                                X