No announcement yet.

Picture thread for 1958 Skagit 20s **1958 only**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that Melanie's boat? I think that is the Skagit I eluded to earlier.. I may have to make a drive by this evening after work and see if it still sitting with expired tabs...
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Yes Brian. Went from Marty to Richard Youngs on Camano to Melanie. Like Kelly points out,wish we could get a lot of boat owners out on the water.

Comment

Skagit reunion in the planning stages!

Back to the 58 pics...

Here's another angle of the factory pic with the woman at the helm...love these early photos!
        skagit.jpg

Comment

I wonder if one carefully rebuilt a 20 using modern materials could get the weight down enough to make a pair of 35's enough power for these days? New led lights and solar panel in front of the windshield could almost make up for not having a generator. Those 35's don't produce all the Mystery that other motors do.

Comment

So I took a slight detour last night after work to check on the current state of Melanie's Skagit "Kanigo"... It is still sitting behind their house with 2013 tabs and no prop on the big merc. Last I heard they were having engine hassles and stopped using it until those could be resolved. Then they got into the vintage camper trailer scene with Rick Love and it would appear the boat has been forgotten
            Attached Files
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Let her know there's a buyer from the club...if the price is right of course.

Comment

Nice boat. They thought the vibration was a lower unit issue, didn't seem to think it was important to take it to club member or other mechanic to check it out. So one person's take was, hey, why not pull the prop and substitute another to see if that eliminates the vibration......so that's where it sits, no prop, no substitute prop. Was a beautiful boat until it's sat in the weather.

Comment

I thought I'd lost these pics! So glad I found them again... here's a boat I wish I'd bought. $500 with twin Bearcats/controls. It looked rough, but would have cleaned up nicely! I wonder where it went????
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                    I thought I'd lost these pics! So glad I found them again... here's a boat I wish I'd bought. $500 with twin Bearcats/controls. It looked rough, but would have cleaned up nicely! I wonder where it went????
                    Now if I would have had the extra moneys, I would have been all over that.
                    Kelly and John know what kind of room I have here and there sure is room for more !!!
                    I could park at least 4 more without much trouble.
                    Right now, I have six of my own plus three in the shop.

When I had to move from Quilcene, John Nelson hauled three away for me. A little 16 Bell Boy (that I wish I still had), a 17 Skagit and a 60 Dorsett Catalina.

I have been thinking about starting a 50's Fiber Classics boat school but seems there is help for wooden boat schools but so fare, I am coming up with zilch. I would think Some agency would be interested but so far no luck finding any.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Another cool thing about that boat (last one posted) is that its an Offshore model. Shoulda woulda coulda!

Comment

The head banging from not buying twin bearcats is less concussive than that from buying. You Wouldn't pick up where you left off with the uniflite. To get those in working order you're talking coils, carb rebuild, fuel pumps lines, valve adj, sealup/rebuild lower units, remove thermostats. Getting bolts out of the thermostat and water pump housings can be good times, rectifiers starter clean/rebuild. Providing some one has not really fixed em already. There really isn't the support for running them in salt water any more either. You got a couple of the best canvases I've seen come out in a long time. Be happy.

Comment

Considering the parts availability, and trying to keep two running,well, that's a tall order. Consider myself lucky with my boat and the 1964 Johnson 90. Sure, some say they guzzle gas, but the cost of a new motor (I replaced it 2 years ago with an eTec ) can cause a burp in the budget. Sure, an old 2 stroke will smoke, then again, only averaged 6 times out on the water per year. Parts were real easy from SeaWay Marine in Seattle. Performance was great compared to one 85 Bearcat on a 20 Express. Welike had a 85 mounted for a year. And easily 100 pounds lighter than the Bearcat. Put two 55 or 85 Bearcats on a Skagit and hope no one passes by your stern with a big wake.... BTW, Johnson is still "for sale" !

Comment

I would have sold the cats and went another direction. There's a slight chance I would have kept them but when I lost my number 1 bearcat mechanic, there's no way I would've kept them as I don't like getting deep into an engine. Just not my thing. Still, it was a complete 20 Offshore (or so it appears in those photos). I'm happy with what I have, this would have predated the two I have now anyway. It all happens for a reason...
                            Last edited by Kelly; 12-10-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Here's one I dug up from an older thread, I'm sure some of you remember it. Sold for $1500 as a complete runner!
                              Attached Files

Comment

And here's one of Marty's projects - the Skunkworks Skagit. Very cool, what happened to it?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X