Picture thread for 1958 Skagit 20s **1958 only**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
    Wow, you saved one of the cards I designed !
    Where did John Berg ever go? never saw that red and white 59 in your last post after that meet. Pretty sure the 58 is John and Candy's.
    You wrote a book there, I'll have time to check it later !
    I saved everything I could.
    I even have my Skagit Hat you gave me when you drove down to Sandy. The pendent or burgee, wore out. Well, the hat is pretty much worn out too but I tried to keep it in good shape as long as I could

I think I have most of the old web site when Spanky was working with it too.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
      I saved everything I could.
      What ever happened to the Blue and White one (your first one) you bought while you were still living in Sandy?
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster View Post
        What ever happened to the Blue and White one (your first one) you bought while you were still living in Sandy?
        I sold that to Mike Kronic? Spelling, sorry.
        It turned out to be more work then he wanted to get into so he sold it to Marty. We had it up at the Island Boat Shop for awhile and then Marty sold it and I don't remember who too.
        It had a Volvo Penta B-16 engine and the AQ-100 Volvo Penta out drive in it.
        Let see if I can find any pictures of it.

Yep, found them.

The main thing was the windshield was replaced with a modern stile and that was the first thing I was going to loose.

Also, I had sent pictures to Bill Roberts about those seats with something like, Whats with Skagit, the Glass guys don't get along with the Wood guys as those seats were really boxy looking.
        He told me that he had seen some like that before in one other Skagit so pretty sure it came from the factory like that.

I was going to rebuild them but round the tops so they were not so boxy, But, scored the 59 Skagit up in Canada.
        That was the maiden voyage with my little tow rig, the 19 foot Dodge mini motorhome.
        That was a Perfect fit as the Washington State Ferry system, charged Lots more for over 19 feet. It had the 360 II engine in it which later on, I found it was not Commercial, but the Industrial engine. Set it at 3000 rpms and let it run. It had the steel crank and build better.
        Between Sandy and Port Hadlock, it averaged 13.3 mpg as long as I kept it under 3000 rpms. I had to put taller tires on it and drove it with the GPS as with the taller tires, it was at 64mph at 3000rpms ;-)

If I would have had a place to store it, I would have kept it but she had to go...I should have NOT sold that RV. I did the Whole insides of it in Cedar too.
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Never saw the blue and white 58 express you're showing there, except in pictures. Of all the 20s we've come across, they appear then sort of fade away. Chuck restored a couple and they had different color schemes when he was done, but they've disappeared.
          Those original Skagit hats have worn pretty well. There's a wood boat ACBS member that bought one in the original batch and he still wears it, as I do mine. They have faded embroidery, frayed on the bill, grease thumb prints in several places with smudge spots. Mine has travelled in my luggage for work and literally has hundreds of thousands of miles on it, probably more than a million, but just looks......right. Chuck's obit photo showed him wearing his. Lloyd Lindberry, Skagit Skimaster designer was buried with his Skagit hat, thanks to a club member who thought to get him the hat.

Comment

I saw the B/W one when you first got it, pic7. Didn't you find that in Boring?
            Last edited by Super Sportster; 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM. Reason: Guess I drifted too far off topic, going back to my Bearcat corner.
            Dick Johnson
            1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

So keeping with Kelly's idea for this thread, found this 58 on CL a few months ago. Believe it was somewhere in Northwest Washington. Curious about this boat because there was a story about a custom built Skagit 20, ordered by a dealer in Wenatchee. The customer was a man named Tiny, who owned the Aplet and Cotlet candy company in Cashmere. Tiny was in fact the opposite of the name and needed a cabin door to allow his entry/exit. Whoever altered this boat in pics spent some time and craftsmanship to make this configuration, and despite the color of the wood, could have been sanded from a factory paint scheme. If it ever comes up on CL again, I'd get in touch and try to see if paperwork on the boat's history is available.00n0n_dKGfft04JIk_600x450.jpg00m0m_91WfOf0RodV_600x450.jpg

Comment

When I saw that on CL I wondered where the heck did the helm go and where do you drive it from? Cool story, hope it stands true!

Comment

What a beautiful camper, it is a perfect towing vehicle for the boat of this kind, reminds me die-cast toys from the past) I am sure you can find something cool here: https://www.carid.com/boating-marine.html
                  Last edited by Moreno; 12-29-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

58' Skagit 20 late 90's

Granite Falls
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice post, Kelly ! That blue and white with the merc, who's boat is that ?- looks like a fine restoration.... first pic is a test done on Clint's boat to see if a convertible windshield would fit/look good on the express, inspired by Marty testing the same idea. Think the windshield came from Chuck and Marty. Second pic is same boat at previous owner's place in Oregon. About that blue and white ?

Comment

Bruce I'm fairly certain that boat ended up as Bainbridge. I've seen older post from Chuck that his this very boat on the big trailer he had at his house. Also, it's an offshore, with the same 115 Merc and same wooden bench in the back at the transom. Did someone else have it after Scotty and Chuck bought it from them? There was one picture where you can see Chuck in Rosario in the background so I'm guessing someone else started the restoration on it and Chuck turned it into Bainbridge.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
                          Nice post, Kelly ! That blue and white with the merc, who's boat is that ?- looks like a fine restoration.... first pic is a test done on Clint's boat to see if a convertible windshield would fit/look good on the express, inspired by Marty testing the same idea. Think the windshield came from Chuck and Marty. Second pic is same boat at previous owner's place in Oregon. About that blue and white ?
                          Pretty sure that is the boat that Marty did for Bruce Drake.
                          I think that is Bruce at the helm.
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Here is another 58 Skagit.
                            Not sure who or where this is but I got the picture from John Nelson. Well, wait a minute. This might not be what I think it is..... John ?

Looks as she has a engine bed in her, look at the frame rails.
                            Image2sm.jpg
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Neat post, Helmar, have to say I've never seen a 20 express with triples on it ! Would guess by the rear crossmember that it came out of the factory as an outboard, close look in person would confirm that.
                              Yep, previous post is Scotty's offshore after Marty rebuilt it for Bruce Drake, forgot all about that iteration of the boat that became Chuck's Bainbridge. Present owner, unknown.scottylac.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X