Multnomah Channel Exploration.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multnomah Channel Exploration.

Here is a possible event that I had in mined and well, wondering if anyone might be interested in it.

John Nelson is willing to drive down to Portland and I will drive and tow up to Portland and launch under the St Johns Bridge.
    We will take the trip down from St Johns on the Willamette River into the Multnomah Channel which runs down to Rainer on the Oregon side and I think Longview on the Washington side. Then back up the Columbia River, into the Willamette River back to St Johns at Cathedral Park launch.
    For you computer savvy people, use Google Earth and go into Satellite mode and follow the Channel to get a idea on what might be involved.

The plan is to see what is there for one, see how long it will take to run that route as I am sure close to the homes on the water will be 5 mph.
    As in Any event, we will look for places to stop for potty stops, possible places to eat or have a pick nick lunch and other interesting places to see.

A few events that we did pull off was when Jim Just was in the club and did the Sand Island overnight event.
    Also I believe Bruce Drake did one event were we launched under the St Johns Bridge, went up past Portland to the Oregon City Falls.
    So we have a few possibility's to share.

Food, lodging, mooring, launching is always a factor in Any event. People have to pee and People have to eat !

I have to admit here, our event planing Sucks. No one wants to step up to the plate it seems.
    So, what all is involved in putting on a event you might ask

In the past (when we had the funds) The Club would work up the possible events and we would Secure the parks by paying the fees involved. This assured us lodging and dock space.

Here is what I know so please help by adding more things to be concerned about.

If Saltwater, we have Tides to think about at the launch points.
    If Freshwater, we need to make sure they did not drain out all the water and turn it into Stumpville.
    If in a Park, find out What dates are Open as so we can secure a reservation for our group. (some of you remember Marty Loken who did Most of the events And what do may not know is Marty Paid these fees out of is Own Pocket !)
    I am sure if I Asked for the money if we did not have it that folks would help pay. You always did and Thank you.
    If we have a park with park facilities, would think about a potluck meal. This has Always worked our real well.

So, this is what I know about Event Planning so What am I missing ?

Who might be interested in the Multnomah Channel Exploration or St Johns to Oregon City Falls event?
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

I'm interested in all events! Unfortunately my days off are not conducive to most events as my weekend is during the normal work week. So I play each event by ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
      Here is a possible event that I had in mined and well, wondering if anyone might be interested in it.

John Nelson is willing to drive down to Portland and I will drive and tow up to Portland and launch under the St Johns Bridge.
      We will take the trip down from St Johns on the Willamette River into the Multnomah Channel which runs down to Rainer on the Oregon side and I think Longview on the Washington side. Then back up the Columbia River, into the Willamette River back to St Johns at Cathedral Park launch.
      For you computer savvy people, use Google Earth and go into Satellite mode and follow the Channel to get a idea on what might be involved.

The plan is to see what is there for one, see how long it will take to run that route as I am sure close to the homes on the water will be 5 mph.
      As in Any event, we will look for places to stop for potty stops, possible places to eat or have a pick nick lunch and other interesting places to see.

Who might be interested in the Multnomah Channel Exploration or St Johns to Oregon City Falls event?
      Actually it looks to end at St. Helens. Here's a link to gas and rest stops: http://www.boatescape.com/singleWater.asp?ID=271
      Looks to be about 20 miles long with lots of no wake area's. http://nwsteelheaders.org/wp-content...1_20160325.pdf
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster View Post
        Actually it looks to end at St. Helens. Here's a link to gas and rest stops: http://www.boatescape.com/singleWater.asp?ID=271
        Looks to be about 20 miles long with lots of no wake area's. http://nwsteelheaders.org/wp-content...1_20160325.pdf
        Good Find !!!.
        Now I can go to the Satellite map and compare it with this map and see if those no wake zones might have something interesting to look at.

I think the St Johns to Oregon City Falls might be interesting too. That is a day trip.

Looking at the park under the St Johns bridge, we might be able to do a overnight and do both events for the folks that have to haul a long distance.
        Will check into that too.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

This all sounds awesome!!! However, it would be a tough sell for me to convince the fam to drive that far... We would be inclined to do something that we could drive down on Friday, stay near the launch ramp, then play/explore Saturday, then be able to get back on the road toward home mid morning Sunday..
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
            This all sounds awesome!!! However, it would be a tough sell for me to convince the fam to drive that far... We would be inclined to do something that we could drive down on Friday, stay near the launch ramp, then play/explore Saturday, then be able to get back on the road toward home mid morning Sunday..
            I guess John Nelson drove all the way down to Portland to pick up a engine part and went around and looked things over for launch's.

I am looking for Camping as well as other lodging possibilities.

Looking for something in the Rainer and Longview area.

I will still run that area and get pictures of what to kind of look forward too.

Its about a 20 mile shot with lots of no wake zones but those zones are what we would be looking at whats around to start with.

My thinking is to make it a One andor two day event. The one of running up past Portland. They have the one Submarine parked just outside of OMSI on the way through Portland to Oregon City Falls. ( I will even ask Greg James if he might be interested in making that run again, its His boat in the picture)

Really, I need to make these runs and see first hand on what we can possible see, places to use the facilities (pee), places to eat. I know the Portland marina has a restaurant that is close if not on the water but I need to know all of this before I can plan the event properly.

Ok, more when I know more.

How about Oregon folks ?? I know we have members in Oregon so now it the time put your hand up....
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

sandis.jpgBack in another life (2004), our family participated in a great weekend expedition, with like minded folks on the Columbia and Multnomah Channel. Everyone launched at Ridgefield (Friday, noon)on a side channel and river that fed into the Columbia. Went a couple of miles downstream to Sand Island, Oregon State Park. Has a great dock for smaller watercraft and dock for 40'+ boats as well. It's directly across from St Helen's, OR about 400' to the south. At the time, and assume now as well, fuel and limited groceries available as well as public moorage. We moved boat over there and spent the night due to high wind/waves one night. Packed our gear, tents, chairs, food into the camping area on the island. Saturday morning, boat captains gathered and set out to go into Downtown Portland on the Channel. The no wake zones weren't a big hassle, and we had plenty of spots to open up as the water was always calm. Went on cool "parade" in downtown, then back out through what I remember as The French Cut to the Columbia near Vancouver. Hit really big water out there and had to take it pretty slow, back to Sand Island. Spent Saturday night around the campfire and headed out about noon on Sunday. this was a great family friendly outing ! Boats included a 16' Bell Boy runabout, 17 Skagit cruiser, 19' Glasspar (rare runabout), 19' Dorsett cruiser, 5- 20' Skagit cruisers. I have a date on the pic of 10 Sept, 2004, but think it took place a few days/weeks earlier.
              A few years later a similar trip was planned but turned disastrous. An organizer mis-communicated with another organizer about a meeting spot, leaving one to get upset and drive back home, 120 miles away. One new four stroke powered boat broke down with a fuel filter issue, simply, didn't have one, so engine quit. And the topper was one boater was distracted and drove over a smaller fishing boat (not included in the event), and luckily no-one was injured. So yes, that particular event was a good example of bad memories.....
              Shot (of happier event,2004 !)is looking downstream at the Sand Island dock, St. Helen's would be to the left of the picture.
              Last edited by bruceb; 09-19-2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Wow Bruce.
                Flash back.

I remember the Sand Island event and the first one I think was put on by Jim Just.
                In fact, I think I see him way down the line almost to the end.
                Then of course, see Doug and the 3D's and even Scotty in the lineup. Could be Chuck way out on the end? Wasn't Greg James in on that one too?

Yes, a event like this has to be well coordinated of launch places, meeting places, meeting times, camping places, phone numbers.

I have been out in the Columbia, way up river when the thing blew up and went to almost 2 foot chop.
                I remember the picture when two Skagits went up the Columbia and had to be slung up over the dams to keep moving up river.

Now that I am thinking about it, I think there was a launch under the St Johns Bridge for one of those events?

Got more pictures of that Sand Island event ? That would be Major cool.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar-
                  Checked and can't find Sand Island pics other than that one and this other one- somewhere, in old photo envelopes I'm guessing !
                  Can't remember if Greg was there, vaguely think Rick Love may have been there and Marty Loken was there for sure, but can't remember which boat he was using that meet. Maybe if I can recover those old silver prints.....the boat on the far end is ours, Chuck's(Rosario) was on a different part of the dock when shot was taken.
                  Jim Just leaving downtown Portland in DorsettFile0013.jpg-1958 San Juan, nice, broad beam, stable boat !
                  Last edited by bruceb; 09-20-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
                    Helmar-
                    Checked and can't find Sand Island pics other than that one and this other one- somewhere, in old photo envelopes I'm guessing !
                    Can't remember if Greg was there, vaguely think Rick Love may have been there and Marty Loken was there for sure, but can't remember which boat he was using that meet. Maybe if I can recover those old silver prints.....the boat on the far end is ours, Chuck's(Rosario) was on a different part of the dock when shot was taken.
                    Jim Just leaving downtown Portland in Dorsett[ATTACH=CONFIG]14390[/ATTACH]-1958 San Juan, nice, broad beam, stable boat !
                    This was just way cool.
                    Thank you for the pictures as they sure help in showing people what fun we have.

I Really Really need to work on an event, Mayfield or down here but I need to get us all together as once we are, Everyone has a Great time !!!

Marty had a different boat each event for the most part ;-)

One thing I used to have was our Gallery that was tagged each event and year. By doing that, Everyone was able to upload pictures in that event so we could go back and see them.
                    We still have the gallery and am working on getting it back up on line.

Thank you again Bruce for your involvement in the club, Our club.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I see this becoming a spring event Launch at Scappoose bay marina or St Helens limited parking. Go up stream on the Columbia not further than St Johns bridge. This would keep us under 25 mi If we had to tow back. Then return via Multnomah channel. or Launch at Ferry road on Sauvie Island and just cover the se end of the channel that could keep us under 15 miles and still see a lot. Fred's marina has fuel and a good launch too.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
                        I see this becoming a spring event Launch at Scappoose bay marina or St Helens limited parking. Go up stream on the Columbia not further than St Johns bridge. This would keep us under 25 mi If we had to tow back. Then return via Multnomah channel. or Launch at Ferry road on Sauvie Island and just cover the se end of the channel that could keep us under 15 miles and still see a lot. Fred's marina has fuel and a good launch too.
                        I know you know this as You Drive Down there !!!

Just another idea, Rose Festival might be a fun time too as the Navy has ships in the harbor. I will check into that for the possible Oregon City Falls possible event.

Thanks John, will keep checking things out date and map wise.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Been working on a couple motors. Its going to be a test day Saturday on mason lake They haven't run for a long time. I'm going to try to run them a couple hours to see they don't start knocking or something preparing for the Multnomah test run. The little Glaspar got new wheel bearings,tabs and some spare tires this week too.

Comment

Little Glaspar? What boat is this you speak of? Pics Sir, pics

Comment

Working...
                            X