Bearcat 85

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat 85

I know, I'm certifiably insane. I want a Bearcat 85. I've been into British cars for 35 years, the coventry power plant doesn't scare me. Anything out there guys?
    Dave

Originally posted by davriker View Post
    I know, I'm certifiably insane. I want a Bearcat 85. I've been into British cars for 35 years, the Coventry power plant doesn't scare me. Anything out there guys?
    Dave
    You're not insane They are somewhat troublesome and can be frustrating at times. Carbs are very touchy. The problem I found with mine being the carbs were to close to the hood, the bottom one was 3/4"away. I cut holes in the hood in front of the carbs installed so louvered eve vents in the holes and cured much of the problem, it would idle smoothly and consistent at 650 rpm and push the boat to 35 mph. Mechanically, Bill and Scott recommend replacement of the stellite valves with stainless as they have reputation for breaking. I ran mine without changing the valves. Lastly I didn't have much in the way of oil leaks but the design is terrible with through holes into the crankcase, too bad they didn't use blind holes! Even the the flywheel bolts were drilled through the crank flange directly into the crankcase. Had development continued I'm sure all of this would have been fixed, I enjoyed it while I had it but in the end the 55hp is just a much better built engine. I often wondered what a 6 cylinder Crosley based engine would have been like.

BTW, nice Falcon wagon!
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

The power head isn't the problem, having no available impellers is, and when you figure out that little motor can make 140 hp a 55 lower will never do it for you. That bearcat guy here, scoured the country for them a few years back and had some up for sale several months ago. I presume ransomed. The guys at AOMCI might Know of one also.

Comment

speaking of no impellers. Globe has discontinued the impeller for the 55... now what do we do?

Comment

Now I'm in trouble too. Economy four cycle has a number for a brass center pump that he cuts down. I didn't like them but if there is nothing else ??

Comment

Originally posted by davriker View Post
            speaking of no impellers. Globe has discontinued the impeller for the 55... now what do we do?
            Wow.
            The 223, I got SP01-12-1230 that shows it from Globe so no more ?
            Yeah, what next.....
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
              Wow.
              The 223, I got SP01-12-1230 that shows it from Globe so no more ?
              Yeah, what next.....
              The one I gave you is now golden!
              Just one of the reasons I ordered more than one a few years back, although I have yet to use one. What next you ask? How about caps, rotor, points and condenser, or the pertronix electronic ignition.

I have come across these several times but know nothing about them: http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/index.html
              Dick Johnson
              1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I've hoarded 3 caps, rotors and even a couple of new cap tops. Somewhere in a box I have one more used impeller. I have a friend that is going to take the used one (when I find it) and go through the shelves looking for something of the same diameter that we can machine to fit the homelite shaft. It doesn't seem that it will need to be to precise to work.

Dave

Comment

Recent post at Continuous Wave seems to indicate an 85 is for sale: http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=220

Comment

Working...
                  X