Uncommon Homelite/Bearcat 55 manual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncommon Homelite/Bearcat 55 manual

My dad had a poor and degrading thermopaper copy of a 55 manual, made from a long lost neighbor's manual. I have searched for a copy of the manual for years with no luck. This summer I inquired with a technician at a Michigan marina that used to sell Bearcat/Whaler. He went to a back room and pulled out his old dusty, greasy paper manuals and there it was, so I believe it was a manual available to technicians rather than the general public. He graciously had an assistant scan and email each page to me. Unfortunately they were large image files, and a couple pages were missing. I’ve converted each file to PDF and combined them, inserting scans of my poor quality version for the missing pages. I find this 77 page manual more helpful than the commonly available one and want to make it available to other Bearcat fans, and this seems to be the most active Bearcat forum. The contents page is posted here. The full file (126 Mb) is hosted on a work server, but only for one week before it is automatically deleted. It can be downloaded at the address below. It takes a couple minutes to download so be patient. Do others have this manual?
    http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/xwmap.bearcatman.pdf

Jon

1.jpg

Originally posted by jhomeist View Post
    My dad had a poor and degrading thermopaper copy of a 55 manual, made from a long lost neighbor's manual. I have searched for a copy of the manual for years with no luck. This summer I inquired with a technician at a Michigan marina that used to sell Bearcat/Whaler. He went to a back room and pulled out his old dusty, greasy paper manuals and there it was, so I believe it was a manual available to technicians rather than the general public. He graciously had an assistant scan and email each page to me. Unfortunately they were large image files, and a couple pages were missing. I’ve converted each file to PDF and combined them, inserting scans of my poor quality version for the missing pages. I find this 77 page manual more helpful than the commonly available one and want to make it available to other Bearcat fans, and this seems to be the most active Bearcat forum. The contents page is posted here. The full file (126 Mb) is hosted on a work server, but only for one week before it is automatically deleted. It can be downloaded at the address below. It takes a couple minutes to download so be patient. Do others have this manual?
    http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/xwmap.bearcatman.pdf

Jon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14442[/ATTACH]
    Hi Jon.
    A Big Thank you is in order and I hope to share this with other Bearcat nuts like myself.
    I did download it and No I don't have some of the items in it so this is a Big Plus.

Some of these are getting harder and harder to come by so, Great Score !!!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Can somebody put this file up again as the link is dead. Thanks, Paul

Comment

I posted the file again on a temporary file share site at work. It will get purged in a week. Until then, it can be downloaded at this link:
          http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/jrkdd.bearcatman.pdf

Comment

Thank you Jon really appreciate your effort on re-posting manual for us that missed it the first time. I think I hosed up my throttle cable I wasn't able to have a low enough rpm to shift ,so I shorten the cable cutting off about 2" now I don't have enough throttle The cable cover was all chipped up cracking so it's not a great loss. I need to understand the the shift lever on control unit "Shiftmaster" hopefully this manual will shed light on this unit. from what I can tell now having boat on the water for first time the small lever is tied into throttle when in big lever is in neutral position. So I guess I have a question when running what position should the little lever be in ? I have it in shift but something isn't right.

Comment

Did you mean "SafetyMate" for the control? On the SafetyMate control big lever in the neutral position small lever pulled up, choke on, start the engine and adjust speed with the small lever until warmed up. Push in into the down position after warming up and you are done with it as it will now be in the idle mode and all controlling is now done with the big lever.
              Dick Johnson
              1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I'm very interested in getting a cop of this manual!

I can't see the image posted above.

Is there a working link to this manual somewhere? Or anyone willing to email a copy.

Thanks very much.

Alan

Comment

Any chance this manual has been posted somewhere? Or could a copy be emailed. I'd be happy to post it on one of my sites. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by amuller View Post
                    Any chance this manual has been posted somewhere? Or could a copy be emailed. I'd be happy to post it on one of my sites. Thanks.
                    I am not sure if any of us have a complete manual as they kept adding to it during those years. I had to move and not sure even were mine is at the moment. Will keep that in mind when digging though my storage unit.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I am in the process of digging out older files from other computers once I have upgraded. I am pulling out the hard drives and putting them into a usb drive bed for the files. I am pretty sure I was able to download the Homelite Bearcat file that was available for awhile on line. In my mind, we had that here on the forum for supporting members but can’t seem to find it now. Too many things have happened since then.

We also had a full blown Picture library with protection that was built for us but it was a yearly subscription and without enough supporting members, it went dark. All the files and pictures are still on the server too.

I think I need to find a web master
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I just got a Email from Jon about the bearcat manual. He happened onto the Classicboatclub site and seen we were looking.

Jon is going to look for the manual and if found, I will post it with a link on our club server for all to share with.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                        X