Thread: Uncommon Homelite/Bearcat 55 manual

Uncommon Homelite/Bearcat 55 manual

My dad had a poor and degrading thermopaper copy of a 55 manual, made from a long lost neighbor's manual. I have searched for a copy of the manual for years with no luck. This summer I inquired with a technician at a Michigan marina that used to sell Bearcat/Whaler. He went to a back room and pulled out his old dusty, greasy paper manuals and there it was, so I believe it was a manual available to technicians rather than the general public. He graciously had an assistant scan and email each page to me. Unfortunately they were large image files, and a couple pages were missing. Iíve converted each file to PDF and combined them, inserting scans of my poor quality version for the missing pages. I find this 77 page manual more helpful than the commonly available one and want to make it available to other Bearcat fans, and this seems to be the most active Bearcat forum. The contents page is posted here. The full file (126 Mb) is hosted on a work server, but only for one week before it is automatically deleted. It can be downloaded at the address below. It takes a couple minutes to download so be patient. Do others have this manual?
    http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/xwmap.bearcatman.pdf

Jon

1.jpg

Boats(s)
    Uniflite - Skagits - Dorsett
    City
    Veneta
    State
    Quote Originally Posted by jhomeist View Post
    My dad had a poor and degrading thermopaper copy of a 55 manual, made from a long lost neighbor's manual. I have searched for a copy of the manual for years with no luck. This summer I inquired with a technician at a Michigan marina that used to sell Bearcat/Whaler. He went to a back room and pulled out his old dusty, greasy paper manuals and there it was, so I believe it was a manual available to technicians rather than the general public. He graciously had an assistant scan and email each page to me. Unfortunately they were large image files, and a couple pages were missing. Iíve converted each file to PDF and combined them, inserting scans of my poor quality version for the missing pages. I find this 77 page manual more helpful than the commonly available one and want to make it available to other Bearcat fans, and this seems to be the most active Bearcat forum. The contents page is posted here. The full file (126 Mb) is hosted on a work server, but only for one week before it is automatically deleted. It can be downloaded at the address below. It takes a couple minutes to download so be patient. Do others have this manual?
    http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/xwmap.bearcatman.pdf

Jon

1.jpg
    Hi Jon.
    A Big Thank you is in order and I hope to share this with other Bearcat nuts like myself.
    I did download it and No I don't have some of the items in it so this is a Big Plus.

Some of these are getting harder and harder to come by so, Great Score !!!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Thanks for sharing!

Boats(s)
    1958 Glasspar Mariner Sport Model
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Can somebody put this file up again as the link is dead. Thanks, Paul

I posted the file again on a temporary file share site at work. It will get purged in a week. Until then, it can be downloaded at this link:
    http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/jrkdd.bearcatman.pdf

Boats(s)
    1958 Glasspar Mariner Sport Model
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Thank you Jon really appreciate your effort on re-posting manual for us that missed it the first time. I think I hosed up my throttle cable I wasn't able to have a low enough rpm to shift ,so I shorten the cable cutting off about 2" now I don't have enough throttle The cable cover was all chipped up cracking so it's not a great loss. I need to understand the the shift lever on control unit "Shiftmaster" hopefully this manual will shed light on this unit. from what I can tell now having boat on the water for first time the small lever is tied into throttle when in big lever is in neutral position. So I guess I have a question when running what position should the little lever be in ? I have it in shift but something isn't right.

Supporting Member Supporting Member Super Sportster's Avatar
    Boats(s)
    Sylvan 16ft Super Sportster
    City
    Gresham
    State
    Did you mean "SafetyMate" for the control? On the SafetyMate control big lever in the neutral position small lever pulled up, choke on, start the engine and adjust speed with the small lever until warmed up. Push in into the down position after warming up and you are done with it as it will now be in the idle mode and all controlling is now done with the big lever.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '58 Johnson 5.5hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '64 Johnson 18hp
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '66 Homelite
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (2)