WTB Trailex Aluminum Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB Trailex Aluminum Trailer

So...Longshot I know but does anyone know the whereabouts of one of these tandem axle trailers? They just became one of my favorites!
    $_3 (2).JPG
    $_3 (1).JPG

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    So...Longshot I know but does anyone know the whereabouts of one of these tandem axle trailers? They just became one of my favorites!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14492[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14493[/ATTACH]
    I think Marty and I ran into one of these back in 2008 or 9 in our retrieval ventures. Or at least it was aluminum as it was so covered in that aluminum rust and did not look safe to tow. Once that starts its almost impossible to stop that process.

Anyone else know of these ???
    It would be real interesting to know... Could these have made it if Zinc'ed up ?

Huh...I guess they still make them. Here is one in Florida, new.
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...Axle-100211607
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

There are still aluminum trailer manufacturers, I just like the classic look of the ones I posted.

Comment

There are still aluminum trailer manufacturers, I just like the classic look of the ones I posted.
        In the ACBS community there is a growing movement of buying a modern trailer and then swapping fenders, bow stops, even jacks, to make them look retro. Some of the guys have even gone as far as repainting the frames and installing retro decals! If you really want the retro look but also want modern safety features this is a great way to go!
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Any pics to share of said trailers?

Comment

Here is a feature story from WoodyBoater about the founder's own trailer for his 1948 Chris Craft... http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2016...tually-did-it/

I know this sparked some others to do the same but their pictures are buried in the comment sections of WoodyBoater articles.
            Attached Files
            Brian Flaherty

Comment

Here is the article where the WoodyBoater community started discussing the idea of "vintagizing" a modern trailer... http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2015...a-new-trailer/
              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Some good ideas. I thought about just changing the fenders to make them look sleek and retro, but not sure how that will look on a galvanized trailer. Maybe I'll photo hack some on...

Comment

Yeah, most of the "vintagizing" has been done on painted trailers where you can simply repaint with retro colors. Not much you can do to cover up the modern galvanizing, and painting over it would be difficult and defeat the purpose behind galvanizing...
                  Brian Flaherty

Comment

I found the fenders I want...it would be cool to make these and have them either galvanized or hot dipped galvanized. I think I could pull it off if I knew someone that shaped metal...
                    00O0O_cy9tDERw9zO_1200x900.jpg

Comment

I found the fenders I want...it would be cool to make these and have them either galvanized or hot dipped galvanized. I think I could pull it off if I knew someone that shaped metal...
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14684[/ATTACH]
                      Those are definitely vintage cool!!! Kind of similar to what Brian Franchini has on his Playmaster trailer (his are fiberglass though).
                      Brian Flaherty

Comment

Do you know where he got them? Any pics?

Comment

Found one from when he had it on display at the Seattle Boat Show a few years ago... Turns out his are a little more radical with a large fin!
                          Attached Files
                          Brian Flaherty

Comment

Ah yes, those are cool too! I think galvanized ones would be cool and give the ugly galvanized trailer that atomic 50s look, almost bare metal look.

Comment

Working...
                            X