Wood replacement questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sclapsaddle View Post
    I might have to compromise based on Chuck's experience though. With my slow progress it will be awhile before I will have to decide.
    For the upper windshield, Chuck used the Chris Craft brackets that can be acquired thru Classic Boat Connection or eBay pretty easily. The hard part is getting a glass pattern. You can either make your own based on the height you want, or you can talk to one of the many ACBS-PNW members who have this style windshield as many of them have templates already made up! I know my father has two different templates made from cardboard that he has successfully used to generate replacement glass, he used Perkins Glass (mostly cause we know the Perkins family from Hydroplane racing so we get the "family" discount).
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

No problem with opinions, I don't mind.
      Swiss cheese. At some point before my parents bought the boat, it had an extensive aluminum plate sandwich trying to tie the soft transom together(I will post a couple pictures of the contraption as soon as I can get my printer to scan photos again) with a outboard extension that moved the motor back 8-12" for what ever reason, that is what most of the holes are, I'm not worried about the holes they will be filled during the transom install. The pictures I have will also show the windshield which is different then the one shown above.
      Thanks for the info on what some of you have used for resins.
      My boat has been painted at some point, not great but I should be able to polish it some, I'm not to concerned with cosmetics at this point though. It has been used that's for sure.
      No i.d. tag that I saw, not sure about the transom being narrow, can you elaborate?

Comment

20160823_175554.jpg

Your transom, along with the transom on my hardtop, have a narrow splashwell compared to a later production '58 like Bruce's boat that doesn't have the inside "platforms" on either side of the transom. Look at my blue one compared to my burgundy one. See the difference?
        My theory is the narrow transom boats are early '58s and a few may be leftovers from '57...at least the top half of the boat. Again, my theory...no one has backed that with proof, especially since the tags never seem to stick with the boats.

Comment

Bruce it looks like this was a burgundy offshore. Look at the stripped sidewalls.

Comment

Yes, I didn't realize there was a difference on the transom cut out widths, interesting. Mine has been cut out even more, I will be glassing it back to how its supposed to be.
            Attached are a couple pictures after my parents brought it home from the used car lot in Marysville. The aluminum plate on the back is attached to 3 more plate sandwiching the transom and splash well with what looked to be with RTV that did not adhere to the aluminum. Then there is this fiberglass fabricated engine extension/mount that was bolted to the transom with 6 3/4"bolts. It was quite the repair, I think it would have been easier to replace the transom and splash well.
            The windshield is also visible.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting, it has the later model windshield (61, right Bruce?) and later rub rail and the step pads along the sides were either removed at some point or never installed.
              Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Are the cabin windows surrounded by rubber or was the aluminum painted over?

Comment

Pretty sure from his history of the purchase in Marysville that the boat didn't leave the factory like this. Owners previous to the father altered the boat heavily- rub rail, changing cabin windows, upper windshield (may be evidence of holes from original windshield detectable), transom cutouts, brackets, step pads, color of paint, etc. Still a bit rare to find original Skagit hull ID plate attached to boats. Plus, so many are registered with wrong year. A beauty worth restoring, for sure. Would love to look it over.

Comment

Rubber surrounding windows, Plexiglas tinted, I'm sure there has been many mods alterations.
                    Ya, Bruce we'll have to get together some time I would like to see your boat also, I haven't seen a working complete Skagit 20 yet.

Comment

Definitely cool. What's your target date to get it on the water? I'm hoping to have at least one of mine sea worthy by late winter.

Comment

I have no target date, my goal is to make slow steady progress. There' s lots of money to spend, motor, rigging and interior. Glass work in this cold wet weather and my day job being similar just with cars,I have limited motivation...

Comment

Keep checking in, we'll keep you motivated. I keep looking at the 58 only thread to keep motivated.

Comment

Since it was barely above 50 degrees today, I could finally epoxy my 5 pieces of 3/8" transom boards together and clamp them in the fixture I made to the shape of the transom before cutting the old wood apart, making the transom wood just under 2" thick. I decided to epoxy the wood together, then I will grind/sand the edges to fit in to the boat and remove the epoxy from the outside of the wood so the polyester resin will adhere. I laid up mat and p-16 polyester to fill the Swiss cheese transom I had. My plan is to add at least one layer of 1708 fiberglass then a layer of 1 1/2 oz mat to the transom shell with polyester resin and press the transom board into the wet mat after saturating the backside of the transom with thinned resin. After that is cured I can fillet the ends for a smooth radius and add a couple layers of the 1708 and mat alternating.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks as your making some Real progress now for sure. !!!!

Keep the picture coming.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen
                              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Glad to see you're back at it. Looking good!

Comment

Working...
                                X