New Year, New Events

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year, New Events

Greetings boating friends, I would like to light the fire for some event planning for the 2017 Boating Season.

I know it's tough to plan the year ahead and when you're available/not available which is why I want to get something on the calendar as soon as possible. With my new job I have to "bid" on my vacation time for the year ahead and we do that in February. This is all new to me since my last job I took time off whenever I needed or wanted to. I know some of you are geographically separated from the bulk of the group so maybe this will help as well.

Here's what I'm looking for:

> Options for weekend dates (keep in mind recognized holidays)
    > Options for weekday dates
    > Locations = Personally I'd like to do at least one event on the Columbia and a few up north (Seattle, San Juan's etc...)
    >> Salt Water and Fresh Water ideas
    > Maybe an overnight location
    > Event Planner (if you have ideas but don't want to be the lead Planner that's ok, let's get the ideas flowing and maybe someone will take the lead)

Here's all I know for the 2017 Season:
    > LaConner WA Boat/Car show (boats on either their trailers or on the water) = August (first or second weekend)

Let's rebuild the classic fiberglass community and get something happening in 2017!

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
    Greetings boating friends, I would like to light the fire for some event planning for the 2017 Boating Season.

I know it's tough to plan the year ahead and when you're available/not available which is why I want to get something on the calendar as soon as possible. With my new job I have to "bid" on my vacation time for the year ahead and we do that in February. This is all new to me since my last job I took time off whenever I needed or wanted to. I know some of you are geographically separated from the bulk of the group so maybe this will help as well.

Here's what I'm looking for:

> Options for weekend dates (keep in mind recognized holidays)
    > Options for weekday dates
    > Locations = Personally I'd like to do at least one event on the Columbia and a few up north (Seattle, San Juan's etc...)
    >> Salt Water and Fresh Water ideas
    > Maybe an overnight location
    > Event Planner (if you have ideas but don't want to be the lead Planner that's ok, let's get the ideas flowing and maybe someone will take the lead)

Here's all I know for the 2017 Season:
    > LaConner WA Boat/Car show (boats on either their trailers or on the water) = August (first or second weekend)

Let's rebuild the classic fiberglass community and get something happening in 2017!
    Several things we can do to get our calendar of events going.
    One would be from Brian, what are the events for ACBS that we can post and plan to attend.
    Two, we need at least one Annual event.
    I would propose that we use Mayfield.
    Mayfield has both a county and privet park that can be used. Several places to launch. Cabins for those who might want that type of lodging if we pull off a two day event.
    It has Plenty to offer, and more centrally located as we might draw from both North and South meaning we could draw from some of the Oregon members.

So, there is my option.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

So are you willing to plan a Mayfield day/weekend? I'd vote for something not past September. Too much going on from there on out.
      I'm mulling over the idea of hosting an event. Our lake isn't as big as some others (576 acres) but it has a nice launch now with a dock. The only one that couldn't bring a boat would be Tim, but if I have both Skagits up and running then no big deal. Just looking at the calendar...maybe a shakedown cruise in early spring.

Comment

Don't count me out, Kelly. I'm working on acquiring a trailer for the Saratogan. Don't hold your breath on that, however....

2017. Okay, did we do the Chuck Carey Memorial Cruise around Bainbridge? If not, we need to schedule that. If it happened, then we need to make it an annual event.

Recreating the Stewart Island Skagit photo. I'm working on putting that together. Need to pick a date and then reserve the campsite with Parks Department.

I can range up into central Puget Sound and north, too. Impromptu events work too.

How about an over-nighter to Mats Mats mid Summerish?
        Attached Files
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones View Post
          Don't count me out, Kelly. I'm working on acquiring a trailer for the Saratogan. Don't hold your breath on that, however....

2017. Okay, did we do the Chuck Carey Memorial Cruise around Bainbridge? If not, we need to schedule that. If it happened, then we need to make it an annual event.

Recreating the Stewart Island Skagit photo. I'm working on putting that together. Need to pick a date and then reserve the campsite with Parks Department.

I can range up into central Puget Sound and north, too. Impromptu events work too.

How about an over-nighter to Matts Matts mid Summerish?
          Hi Tim.

No on the Chuck Carey Memorial Cruse around Bainbridge

I can set up events on our events page and yes, should be a annual event. Just let me know the details and I will get them posted on the events page.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Tim I'll never count you out! Saratogan or not, I hope you can make it to all the events!
            Oh and I'll provide the hardtop for Stewart Island (even though it's not in that particular photo) since I know Bruce will provide the soft top 20.

Comment

And we absolutely need to at a minimum, get a Chuck Carey memorial cruise going. Maybe Greg will come back and plan it?

Comment

I'll call Greg and touch base, ask if he'd do the honors for a Chuck Carey Memorial Cruise, certainly would be a neat event. Perhaps some involvement from one of Chuck's sons would be a crowning touch.
                Lake Mayfield has been a great location and accessible to club members. Should get that scheduled so folks can reserve rooms, cabins, camping spaces.
                Hopefully Stuart will happen this summer for the photo shoots of photo shoots. Hopefully fires are allowed on the beach still.
                Attached is the legendary Bob and Ira Spring shot on the cover of SeaTimes magazine of May 1959. Am assuming the shoot of the article was from late summer 1958, using factory employees families, testing the product. Skagit was extremely effective in "product placement". From a Perry Mason episode, Sea Hunt episode (actually aired well after the company went out of business), showing the boats at L.A., SFO, Portland as well as Seattle and Spokane boat shows and this SeaTimes Sunday Magazine Tim is referring to in Prevost Harbor, Stuart Isl, San Juans.
                At one time we got Skagits together for a shoot on the south side of Hope Island to recreate 1959 Skagit brochure pics but the tide kept boats from reaching the ideal positioning point, dang....FullSizeRender-34.jpg

Comment

I just noticed it was a hardtop behind the Saratogan.
                  Anyway, so we have some great ideas and 5-6 possible events:
                  >Shakedown Event - Black Lake - April or May - Kelly Host
                  >Chuck Carey Memorial cruise
                  >Stuart Island
                  >Mayfield
                  >LaConner Boat show
                  >*Columbia River?*

Now we just need some dates and event coordinators.

Comment

Thanks Bruce in advance for contacting Greg.

Comment

Mats Mats is a good location there is a small park with a dock at the south end. The launch is fairly flat most useable at high tide. There is another park on the east side of Oak Bay near the gap no launch there but it has a large beach with sandy spots. The area is easily accessed from all directions.

Comment

Sounds like a good spot John. When are you thinking of doing it? Where exactly is that?

Comment

Somehow this whole thread slipped thru until now! I finally made it to a monthly ACBS meeting (haven't been able to attend since taking my job at Munson Boats). There are a couple big things happening with ACBS-PNW this year... We are hosting our first Seattle based boat show in over 20 year!! Gene Coulon Park July 22nd! In conjunction with Renton River Days. This is huge for ACBS as we haven't had our own boat show since 1995!!! It is still in the planning stage but they for sure want to see some fiberglass boats there!

Secondly, there will be a Family Fun Day on Lake Tapps this summer (looking at late August) which has been canceled for two years due to low water levels in the lake.

Thirdly, if you want to bring life back into the club, Opening Day is always a great place to start! Get the old banner out and let people see that we are here and still messing about!!

There is also talk of making a big odessey happen this year (the last one was 2015 on Lake Roosevelt, before that was 2011 Snake River from Lewiston Idaho all the way to Kennewick Washington!). Again still just chatter...

ACBS-PNW has a new chapter president, the youngest in 20+ years!, and he is excited to get NWCBC more involved with ACBS as both clubs benefit from growth and participation!!
                          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Hello, all. John here. Been out of forum land for a long while and have probably contributed to the decline for my part.

I'm all for getting going again on some events and glad/sad that there wasn't a Chuck memorial cruise. I will attend with Pretty Girl this year when it happens.

We are open to event dates this year with the exception of mid August when the eclipse occurs.
                            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                            Past Affairs:
                            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Tim was thinking the middle of summer. Its near Port Ludlow between Port Townsend and Hood canal floating bridge. I could go practically any day.

Comment

Working...
                              X