Hard top for 20' 1958 Skagit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard top for 20' 1958 Skagit

Hi Everyone, I have finished my restoration of my 2nd glass boat. I have posted some photos of my Skagit 20 that I have here in Seattle. I'd like to open up the hard top. I understand Glastron used to have a sliding roof? Would anyone have and info on how the slider worked on those boats. Possibly like a kitchen drawer etc? Or has anyone put a hatch on the roof. I don't want to overly change the look of the boat though. This boat hasn't been seen in many many years so I'd be grateful for any advice in general. Thanks, Robert in Seattle
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Hi Everyone, I have finished my restoration of my 2nd glass boat. I have posted some photos of my Skagit 20 that I have here in Seattle. I'd like to open up the hard top. I understand Glastron used to have a sliding roof? Would anyone have and info on how the slider worked on those boats. Possibly like a kitchen drawer etc? Or has anyone put a hatch on the roof. I don't want to overly change the look of the boat though. This boat hasn't been seen in many many years so I'd be grateful for any advice in general. Thanks, Robert in Seattle
    Pretty sweet Robert !!!.

I see you posted some images in the gallery but I also noticed that you have a couple that looks as they were taken with the Cell phone camera, sideways.

You are More than welcome to adding them to this tread and I could maybe move it some day.

I have a 59 with the hard top and to be honest with you, I have thought about this myself.
    I only got as far as looking in some of the boat yards for something I might use.

Anyone else have any ideas ?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Holy smokes! It's alive! I've been pestering the previous owner to tell me where this boat went after him...all he would say is that it came back to WA.
      Anyway, glad to see you on here and hope to get some cruises together this summer.
      As far as the hardtop, my plea would be not to alter the actual hardtop. These boats are pretty rare (even if it seems like there's a lot on this site) and a hardtop to boot, even more rare. I digress. I am going to attempt to make my hardtop removable. All my wiring (lights, horn) will be quick disconnects while the shafts holding up the rear will either be attached with wingnuts or pip pins at the top and similar at the bottom. The other attachment on the window frame, I'm thinking quick lock fasteners. Also the gasket will be affixed to the hardtop itself. It all makes sense in my head. Anyway, that's my idea and contribution.
      Hope it helps.

Comment

wow. what a great looking boat. I'm with Kelley, leave the top alone. if you need some sun, step back 3 paces.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Love that boat. Got a chance to "survey" it ( not a marine surveyor, just a Skagit nut) in May, 2010 at the shop of Skagit Plastics employee, Jerry Smith. Wonderful man, struck a pretty fair price for the next owner here in WA. Was amazed at the fine work done on it by the factory. It was in very nice shape back under the transom, really nicer than my 20. Is 5 numbers off mine in the production line in 58, still had the brass plate attached to the transom.
          Sure do like that neat Starflite the owner in Indiana mounted, much like my 64 Johnson Golden Meteor 90hp. Nice torquey V4.
          We need to get some time out with our boats on Lake Wash sometime, Robert. Great boat !

Comment

Robert have you been out in the boat lately? Did you come up with an idea for your hardtop dilemma?

Comment

Does anyone have a spare hard top i could make a mold off of or have dimensions from, i would love to build one for mine, and for people to put hatches and stuff on.
              Gabe Williamson
              Soldotna, Alaska

Work - 2001 Bollinger Mini OSV 150' 2 Cat 3516c hd
              Side job - 1978 Bruno Stilman 35' Rebuilt in 1993 (38') Ford Lehman SP135

Play/projects - and works in progress between Dad and I
              1958 Skagit 20' Express - projected Mercruiser MCM170 or 4stroke 115 outboard
              1964 Reinell 18' - 85hp Mercury Almost ready for seatrial
              197? Glassply 24' - Ford V8 I/O

Comment

I can give you measurements off of my hardtop... Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

Gabe I still owe you measurements... I'll work on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X