Spring Prep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Prep

Opening day will be here before we know it. As Winter comes to an end and Spring time starts, it is usually the ramp up time for boats to be cleaned up and prepped, or for frantic work on restoration projects to get them ready in time.

For me, the 404 is ready to go at a moments notice, but I have some projects I want to finish before May. My list includes:
    Build cubbies under windows.
    Build electrical panel door.
    Build partial headliner in cabin.
    Maybe build a forward shelf/speaker panel under the bow.
    Prior to launching this year I have to do the lower unit gear oil as well and general engine readiness.

What projects are on your short list for the season?
    What gets you excited for Spring/Summer water adventures?
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

I am currently waiting, anxiously, for my replacement windshield to be completed... I have a funny feeling that, just like last year, I will be reinstalling it the night before parade day!

Also, I am hoping to get a chance to run the polisher over the deck to remove the imperfections that were acquired last year when the paint was still soft.

Otherwise, the old Chris-Craft is always ready to play!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Long story short, once I get the hardtop back it's full throttle to at least have it ready by LaConner weekend.
      In the interim I'm contemplating getting the blue Skagit at least lake worthy as it is a little more solid than the hardtop.

Comment

Kelly, will look forward to seeing one of your 20's in the water.Spring will be here before we know it. This has been a cold and wet winter.

I've been on the boat four days now. Working on all kinds of neglected projects. Haven't scheduled a haul-out yet. That will be that last of the big projects. Feel motivated. Breaking my wrist last July put me out of commission for boating. So a lot of projects didn't get done. This is going to be the year....... Looking forward.

Thinking I'd like to do Opening Day again. Here's a picture from Opening Day 2011.
        Attached Files
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

It's here! This weekend! Are you ready?

I haven't posted in a bit but I've been busy. The cabin is effectively done. The only remaining construction project on the boat at all is door trim and that will happen this fall. So, last week I tidied everything up, installed all the panels, and washed her down. On Monday she went into the water and is sitting ready in the boat house for this weekend. I think Sunday may be the better of the two days? No real plans to do a parade or anything, just a cruise around Liberty Bay, maybe to Keyport.
          John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Glad you got her ready for opening weekend John. I am not even close to having the blue Skagit done, or started. In fact it's so far down the list I can't even see it right now. The hardtop is still in the works. Unsure on the timeline.
            The weather looks like a typical opening day for sure! Good luck to all who venture out!

Comment

Opening Day was a blast and the weather turned out perfect! Even saw a nice Skagit on the log boom! Not sure if it was a 17 or a 20 and I was too busy driving and watching for flashers to get a picture of it...

My wife managed to get a few more photos than I do despite her having to tend to the needs of our 2yr old (grandma volunteered as tribute to tend to our 4yr old in their runabout) but I need t hijack her photos from her FB post. Perhaps 2018 can be the revival year for NWCBC participation in the Parade!
              Attached Files
              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Nice batch of shots, Brian ! Yes, we may be due to participate in opening day. Only wish there wasn't so many hours of waiting....worth the chance of the flashers, ha , funny you mentioned that !!!!
                Dig doing the pano shots out on the water, great you did that shot. Smart phone or camera ?
                The opening day parade in La Conner is on my bucket list as well. Thanks for your dedication to bringing us shots of events.

Comment

All my shots are taken with my iPhone 6... I have been trying the pano shots but it's hard to get smooth when the boat is moving...
                  Brian Flaherty

Comment

Great pictures Brian. Where's the rain?
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Cool shots, Brian. That Miss Sydney is stunning.

We didn't make it out Saturday, but kind of on purpose. Weather wasn't that great with rain and wind. But we did get on the water for a few hours on Sunday. Felt good to be floating again after the Winter!
                      John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Right on thanks for sharing Brian! Glad you got the family out too!

Comment

John, you'll have to plan to come out to Renton River Days for the first local ACBS boatshow in over 10 years!! Miss Sydney will almost certainly be there and likely giving boat rides! She is actually a contemporary build based on the lines from 40's era gentleman's racers. Kurt Erickson owns her and had her commissioned in Sydney Australia just so he could have a boat worthy of us fully restored Hispano-Suiza V-8! But Kurt is currently running a crate 454 which is more reliable, easier maintenance, and can handle running in salt water..

For the Renton show we are expecting 35-40 boats, some haven't been out of their sheds in many years! Bonus we will all be taking turns giving boat rides!
                          Brian Flaherty

Comment

Would love to see your cabin woodworking, John. Have to get something going this summer for a mini-meet !
                            Anyone interested, ACBS pnw site states the boat show will take place at Gene Coulon Park, Renton, Wa on July 22.
                            Please confirm that's still correct Mr. Brian ! thanks may see you there !

Comment

I am remiss in taking photos. Boat is at the house again, so maybe this weekend. I want to try a panorama shot to include all of it in one shot. We'll see how well it goes...
                              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Working...
                              X