Bell Boy 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell Boy 21

Despite being told the 21 BB I picked up in WA is a 1956, I believe it really is a 1959. Maybe a 1958. The biggest give away I think are the stringers. Instead of the stringer design that I found in my 18' BB and the other two 21 footers on this site, mine run down the length of the boat (pics #1 & 2). If you check out the 1959 Bell Boy page 13 on Fiberglassics it states "New longitudinal stringers for great strength". My boat also has a wardrobe (mentioned in the 1958 ad) pic #4, and the sides only have a horizontal trim piece that does not curve up towards the gunwale like the 1957 models pic #3. Also, instead of having a bow water tank, the water tank is above the sink (pic #5). I'm not sure how many gallons of water it holds yet.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library...lboyb59013.jpg

Would Bell Boy have changed their mind on making a boat an outboard vs an inboard? The Hull ID says it's a "21 IB" and is "white - light green" in color. One of the color options for 1959 was Seafoam Green and of course white. I can't make out what's been blacked out (pic #6). I'll see if i can backlight it and see if that makes it out better.

anything I'm missing that might help date the boat better?
    Attached Files

That water tank looks just like the one I had on my 404, same year. I had to cut it out the fittings were so rusted! I ended up putting a holding tank under my sink for ease of maintenance. Wouldn't trust the existing tank for more than washing down your hands!

I can't remember, but I think I still have the factory sink in my storage area if you need one. Let me know.

And yes, those stringers look like what I have on my 404. Very beefy. They likely tie into the transom if it is the same construction as the smaller boats of the same year.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
    X